Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406193 times)

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I don't get why you're so discouraged all of a sudden. You should at least wait till the game comes out.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
I got a chance to quickly click through the soundtrack earlier and didn't come across the VGA trailer theme.

Hey, that 4:20 "enough talk" track sounds like a potential Victor boss battle. Hot or cold? Haven't kept up on the spoilers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:06:03 PM by derision »

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
The irony that Lords 1 was supervised by the maestro of stealth, Mr. Hideo "Metal Gear" Gillian Kojima.

exactly lol.

If they wanted some stealth in their new take on the CV series than I think it would have been better and more believable to do it in LOS1 when Gabriel was a human vampire hunter and they had the supervision of the best there is in the stealth department Hideo Kojima watching their back.

Instead they did it in LOS2 where not only was Hideo not involved this time around, we now have a very powerful vampire lord we are playing as having to sneak around certain areas in the game, yea its understandable in his weakened decrypted state, but any form after that I don't see it as necessary one bit.

And another complaint I am seeing is the bland level design of some of the areas in the city, believe it or not I was looking forward to the city settings and what they would do with it, but after reading some of the reviews my hopes have gone down by a lot, I still hear that it looks fantastic at certain parts however.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Dracul_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
As far as I know, the only reviewer that most of us had contact was the spanish guy, I don't remember his name. He said the game was ok. I think that the problem here is that LOS2 is overly criticized because they keep comparing it to other games and older Castlevania games. The stealth parts in the game, I think that were just to fill story gaps. Dracul begins weak and fire arms will kill him, so he's gotta hide. When he grows on power, stealth will no longer be necessary. I think that stealth bits were designed just as a little plus on the gameplay, this is not Batman: Arkham City. Apart from that, the gameplay, combat seems solid, the music IMO is great. We just have to wait to play the game for ourselves. I am almost 30 years old and I had my share of played games. One thing that I am sure of is that if you like the game, that game can be the best game of all universe, even if others say it's shit, or you just won't like it. Just play the game and make your own judgement.

LOS brought back Castlevania to a wider audience. Not just the same fanbase IGA built (which is a good thing). I do hope that LOS catalyzes a more deep approach to a Castlevania story, a new story.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I got a chance to quickly click through the soundtrack earlier and didn't come across the VGA trailer theme.

Hey, that 4:20 "enough talk" track sounds like a potential Victor boss battle. Hot or cold? Haven't kept up on the spoilers.
Cooold
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:21:33 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Cooold
stuff

Any reason in particular why you didn't just say "cold" and end it right there? I basically hung a bright red neon sign over my post telling you to use your discretion.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:36:17 PM by derision »

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
I think that the problem here is that LOS2 is overly criticized because they keep comparing it to other games and older Castlevania games.

I don't think that is the problem here as far as reviewers goes since LOS1 did pretty good in the review department.

Which really does beg the question as to why so many of the reviews as of late has been more negative than positive when reviewing LOS2?

Especially in comparison to its predecessor LOS1?

So I can't agree with the notion that the reviewers are overly criticizing is here due to what you said since LOS1 proves to the contrary here.

I think they have legitimate complaints about it and are basing the score on those legit complaints, sure a 4/10 is harsh, that I can agree on fully, but from what I've read and heard a 7/10 is pretty fair here.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Just wait until the game is out and play it for yourselves guys.

If LoS2 does turn out to be terrible, than the two things that's really worrying me right now are Konami going gung-ho with a LoS3, or deciding fuck it, Castlevania should die off for a long time. Seeing good 2D Castlevania completely disappear would be heart breaking.

The LoS series doesn't have anything to do with the sole reason I fell in love with Castlevania in the first place; the gameplay. I appreciate LoS's aesthetics and art direction but I really wish all of that would be applied to a Classicvania or true Metroidvania with the familiar gameplay we all know and love, candle whipping and catchy ass music and all.

When I think about it I feel like I developed a small case of stockholm syndrome because LoS is the only thing that has to do with Castlevania right now. :(

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
Just wait until the game is out and play it for yourselves guys.

If LoS2 does turn out to be terrible, than the two things that's really worrying me right now are Konami going gung-ho with a LoS3

Them doing a LOS3 without MS should be out of the cards anyway since the LOS series is their baby and should end when they decide to end it, which is LOS2.

And the LOS series while carrying the Castlevania name is still its own thing, they could easily either go back to the original series or hand it off for another developer to get a shot with a new reboot even if LOS2 fails.

I doubt they would give up on the Castlevania series if LOS2 failed.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
well theres always Pachislot 3 to look forward to

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Remember when I said that LoS2 would sell worse than LoS? Some people on Neogaf didn't believe in me. If these reviews keep coming with 4~6... man... garbage bin material.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
...One thing that I am sure of is that if you like the game, that game can be the best game of all universe, even if others say it's shit, or you just won't like it. Just play the game and make your own judgement...

Yes, I share your words. For example, nearly every gamer that I know hates GOW Judgment, but I love it, and I put it second to GOW2 in my Gears preferences.

But, for the reviews of LoS 2, the major complaint is the stealth section. Maybe MS will put a patch to change it? Like SCE Santa Monica does with GoW Ascension to low the difficulty in certain part of the game. But many of us here haven´t played the game, so when the game comes out, we will say our own opinion of that portion of the game.

Personally, I don´t like too much the stealth in gaming. When I played Batman Begins in PS2 a few years ago, I love the stealth parts, so I bought Splinter Cell Chaos Theory to prove a "real" stealth game. I simply hate it... So, in few words, I like the stealth to not be the entire gameplay in a game, and not to be so "realistic". So, I am sure that the stealth parts in LOS 2 will be the different gameplay that many hates, like the Colossus part were in the first one :P...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:35:27 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Remember when I said that LoS2 would sell worse than LoS? Some people on Neogaf didn't believe in me. If these reviews keep coming with 4~6... man... garbage bin material.

Looks like I was right when I said that the 8 from Spainkiller will be the highest score this game gets. Sites like Gamespot, IGN, Giantbomb etc. are gonna rip this game apart.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
A finnish magazine gave it like a 9.5. This game will be more divisive thn God Hand.

Everything comes full circle

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
End then, in the ultimate divine joke, IGN gives this game a 10/10

You heard it here first, folks.

anything