Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406202 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Am I the only one who thinks that stealth section doesn't look so bad?
I mean, was it needed? maybe not, but it can't hurt. breaks up the pace with something different. And as long as the controls are good, I'm ok with it. you people are all overreacting over this.

Flame, you're delusional buddy.

Lords of Shadow has been a God of War ripoff since the very beginning.
I guess lament of innocence went forward in time to rip off God of War then huh?

God of War did not invent hack n slash. it popularized it.

I know you are baiting. But seriously. At least put some effort into it.

Bloodlines had a factory level
(click to show/hide)

No it wasn't. Not for the setting. Especially since aside from being a factory, it's purpose in game, is to be a clocktower stage with gears and shit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:02:20 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I mean, was it needed? maybe not, but it can't hurt. breaks up the pace with something different. And as long as the controls are good, I'm ok with it. you people are all overreacting over this.

You're not the only one, Flame.  Especially when the game lasts what, 20 hours or so?  It mixes things up imo, stops things from being too samey all through the game.  Plus, I also really liked the rats transformation, definitely referencing Coppola's Dracula there imo.  Perhaps those armoured thug guards looked a bit sci-fi-ish, sort of WH40Kish, but they also looked like big burly brutes in modern takes on Medieval armour which also seem to be referencing Coppola's Dracula.  The *massive* guns looked a bit insane, but hey, I can live with that.  The sudden transition into the castle I admit I really liked.  The castle's looking gorgeous.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:14:52 AM by tatteredseraph »
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)

*raises hand*

I just said it didn't look at that bad.

No it wasn't. Not for the setting. Especially since aside from being a factory, it's purpose in game, is to be a clocktower stage with gears and shit.

True, but there were parts like this:

Reminds me a lot of this:

Which is kind of the vibe I was getting from the stealth part. IMO, it's a cool mix of motifs, it just feels a bit odd since it's definitely not a regular setting in Castlevania.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
but does the stealth look fun to do

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Lament of Innocence was more like Devil May Cry, however the combo system was pretty unique and fresh. It also actually felt like I was playing a Castlevania game. Lords of Shadow on the other hand is just a blatant ripoff of God of War. How can you not see it?
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
most of the time in lament, i was flipping around like a mad man rather than doing actual combos
i guess lords is pretty similar in how the optimal style of fighting was to roll around

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
but does the stealth look fun to do

It doesn't look not fun.

That's all I can really say at this point. From Edge's review, it sounded like what they didn't like about it was that it didn't allow a lot of freedom, which I can imagine can be jarring since that means MercurySteam is actively disabling your abilities, but if it really boils down to being an environmental design puzzle, then I'm fine with that.

EDIT: If anything, it looks the stealth puzzles in Assassin's Creed that took place in the free running dungeons. You didn't have a ton of "options" but it was a fun little exercise.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:27:49 AM by e105beta »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
AC never had "great" stealth sections IMO, I always felt it wasn't very well-developed, which is a shame.

And the German guys should really get some skill. Seriously.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Stealth sections look absolutely awful, I was getting some dumb Batman vibes from it.

Seeing Gabe eat and squeeze a heart out of the statue was disgusting.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I actually thought that touch of him eating the heart was pretty cool.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
It was!

Everything comes full circle

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
It's exactly the sort of thing I would expect Drac to do, as well as reminding me a little bit of a scene in Queen of the Damned.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
What exactly did Enric say to you on Twitter, Ahasverus?

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
To tell you the truth, from that German video, the stealth part didn't bother me as much as the fuckin collapsing floor section near the end fo the video. That looked like a real bullshit section!

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
So I've read the Edge review, and I'll admit that I was surprised to find entire pages devoted to criticizing the fundamentals of LoS2's battle system, considering how little they have changed since LoS1. e105beta already mentioned this -- most of the combat elements Edge seems to have found fault with in this review were already present in the original reboot, so I'm lost as to why they they were praised in LoS1 and panned in LoS2.

As far as Stealth sections go, they certainly don't look entirely unenjoyable. But they do seem heavily scripted, with their execution looking pretty clumsy at times.
It's also hard not to notice how jarring they are in context. You're playing as Dracula, after all -- that alone should spare you any need for rat-worthy tactics. You'd at least expect to keep your combat abilities during stealth. I mean, why not just give those guards a good whipping before moving straight on to the next area? That's honestly much more consistent with Dracula's aesthetic...
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

anything