Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406525 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Less than 10 days to go. Gnnnnnn.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
This ending is incredibly disappointing. LoS2's plot had such a promising setup that I had actually expected something interesting from MercurySteam. But this... This is just... *Bangs head on table*

(click to show/hide)
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
(click to show/hide)

Also, I just read Spainkiller's review. He gave the game a 83/100.

Hating:

• First he compares the first game to Satan's appearance from that game, he thinks he looks great. Then he compares LoS2 to Satan's new design: still looks like Satan, but lost all subtlety. The game perhaps tries to be hard to be epic.
  • An example of this is the story: it's a very simplistic plot that loses its focus due to it being unnecessary sidetracked a lot of times throughout the game. Fun fact: the city is actually called "Castlevania City", he evens insists it's not a joke.
  • Some story tidbits: Satan's daughter is a scientists who wants to turn everybody into demons with a virus. Dracula's castle doesn't exist anymore in the modern era, only as fragments of his memories. He thinks the plot is confusing and just an excuse to look for McGuffins in various areas. 
  • The script is very shallow, and he is disappointed such great voice actors are wasted on it.
  • He says graphically the game is very inconsistent. He thinks the level design in, for example, the laboratory area, is very dull. On the other hand, he thinks the castle areas looks fantastic. 
  • He then concludes what the game's problem is: it wants to do too many things that have totally nothing to do with Castlevania. He says the first Lords of Shadow also broke many conventions of the series, but most of the changes turned out well. 
  • He critizes the stealth segments quite heavily. He doesn't really say anything new here.

The positive:

• Despite the above points, the game is actually quite good with a good battle systen that is about more than mindless button mashing. However, he expected the game to be one of the best games of the year, so he is a bit disappointed.
  • The enemy designs look very good.
  • The boss fights are the highlight of the game. They require some thinking and good control of the combat system.
  • About 30% into the game, it changs from "fun but confusing" to "amazing and unique". After that point, he completely understood the combat system and the game stopped holding his hand. The story improved as well.
  • It's a worthy conclusion of the LoS trilogy.

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
I don't agree that the ending sounds "happy."
(click to show/hide)
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #6575 on: February 18, 2014, 07:01:20 AM »
yesterday i turned on my 3DS for the first time in months, and lo and behold, it worked! it was malfunctioning before the b button just would not work for some reason but now its back to normal now i can finally play starfox64 3D, its been sealed in its original plastic since it came out lol. now i can finish chrono trigger & kirby super star

but anyway who here has preordered the European Limited edition "Dracula's Tomb" edition Lords of Shadow? i wanana get it but since i live in friggin America i have to order it via ebay and scalpers are trying to sell it for like $300. i already have some rare los promo items and materials that arent available to the public so i dont knowe if i should throw down the coin on this package i dont think its worth anymore than $150 although i been proved wrong before in fact with my hand accidented on the piano and lied you, feel myself guilty. the dlc is going to get delayed most likely

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6576 on: February 18, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
Fun fact: the city is actually called "Castlevania City", he evens insists it's not a joke.
(click to show/hide)
:)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:12:57 AM by thernz »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Wasn't it Wygol City? I think Castlevania city is a rethorical name.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #6578 on: February 18, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
+2
Castlevania City is now canon.

Please let that sink in for a moment.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Aaand flashback to that horrible Worlds of Power novel.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #6580 on: February 18, 2014, 08:50:26 AM »

Only Simon's Quest had acknowledged the name "Castlevania" before right?

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
underwhelming is subjective- but glitchy? what

See my previous post on it here:

OK so I tried the LoS2 demo, PC version. Wow. I can't believe how bad that was.

Just to put this into perspective, not 5 minutes into the game I somehow glitched through the floor on the Titan for no reason and fell through the titan and  backgrounds until I died at the bottom of the glitch void.

So when I could actually do things on the Titan, and not glitch into the void, the Titan was as bland and boring as I expected, if not more so. Spending 5 minutes making a dude shoot rivets was just lame as hell.

And then it ended, just as they were going to let me kill the stupid sniper. Super short. Not satisfying at all.

The only good thing I can say is, the combat was smoother than LoS was. Though perhaps a bit heavy on the effects, making it hard to see at times.

I actually expected the game to stand up way better than that, but after that pathetic demo I don't even know if I'd play it for free. It's certainly not getting my money.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #6583 on: February 18, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »

This is absolutelly ridiculous, seriously. Now I understand the whole "city growing from the castle" shenanigans, but holy crap this name is horrid... Why not call the city... "Castle City" maybe? Or "Castille" if we're going full blown spanish? But no... Castlevania City it is. All that is left now is to have Dracula as a mayor.

Only Simon's Quest had acknowledged the name "Castlevania" before right?

Nope. Order of Ecclesia also did it on enemy descriptions. Symphony of the Night did it too on the prologue text.

Y'know, I always found it strange that the game calls the castle "Castlevania" so rarely.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:56:17 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
It's not Castlevania city in game, it's Wygol

. Wygol Village, one of the areas found in Lords of Shadow, has become the city in which Lords of Shadow 2 is set. The village, which was set beside Dracula's castle, grew after the castle was left deserted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-08-the-god-of-war-comparisons-really-pissed-us-off