Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406199 times)

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Kamirine:
(click to show/hide)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I can't see how this game story wise could be part of the original canon without messing it up to hell and back.  Alucard alone ruins it, we won't even go into older characters, their relationships, and how vastly different they're done here.  So I agree, I would strangle someone at Konami if they tried.

The game is it's own reboot and gets to do vastly different things: it's better that way.  Steps on no one's toes who are fans of the older universe while Cox and his team gets to delight us with their intriguing retelling.  It doesn't need to be part if the older universe.

But on a different note:  am I the only one alarmed that all good reviews so far are only European?  Man, I really hope it scores well all around.  It really looks like a great game.

agreed.

The notion that " if it was a part of the original canon no one would bat a eye" thing is completely false here.

Lets not forget that the LOS series changed A LOT from what was established in the original canon.

The Alucard/Trevor thing being the most glaring as well as Dracula being a belmont before becoming Dracula.

In Lords of Shadow 2 its set in modern times which I would assume in 2013/2014?

If so fans would obviously bat a eye at that since AOS established a end to Dracula (physically) in 1999 and here we are playing as him in the year 2000.

Its obvious it would not work in the original canon and even trying to fit it in would cause many people to become angry at the glaring inconsistencies it would produce with the original canon, even more so that IGA's apparent inconsistencies I would say.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
My affirmation has its limits, of course they should change lots of story things for the old cannon (duh) but the tone and overallplot is not an Anti-Castlevania. That's what I meant, this game is not a LoS 1 case of "why is this happening? castlevania was never like this" this game plays well and reasonably into the series. The whole series, both old and new, it may not share the story but it shares the spirit.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
I dunno about you but I don't want Gundams in my Castlevania. It's disqualified as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
I dunno about you but I don't want Gundams in my Castlevania. It's disqualified as far as I'm concerned.
There are no Gundams. Your prejuidces are weird, the series has had almost every enemy in the world incluiding Motorcycle skeletons. Humans in military armir suits with machineguns are no diffwrent than armored knights with swords, it's the same type of enemy in diferent times. And your Castlevania will probably not come back. It would be weird a return to the classic formula when this game finally nailed it. I expect (and want) morr 2D games of course, but the old universe will feel boring, but that's my opinion.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Bitching about enemy types in Castlevania is kind of stupid, we've had like, thousands of types? From all influences and time periods and all that. That's the best part of the series, even, the variety.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I like the main universe and the LoS universe for what they are, so I'd rather have them be...separate

---

I would like that spoiler PM too btw

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards

@Agreus

are there nonsensical references to other games and outdated meme jokes like there was in the first los?

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
@Crysis
(click to show/hide)

Offline jormungand

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
LOL I was like WTF when one monster shoot me with something that I thought was a shotgun, but then I remembered the Bone Musket from SOTN  ;)

Seriously, if someone rants about the enemies in this game, it only shows their complete ignorance in the series's bestiary.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
There are no Gundams.

They're mechs. Mechs need to stay out of Castlevania. Aria of Sorrow was in the present/future and handled it very well. It kept all the potentially crazy shit out of the spotlight and focused on what Castlevania is about.

Even if they were to venture into a modern human city, my god, what the hell is with mechs and science labs, and all this other shit. This is not Metal Gear, as much as MS may pretend it to be.

Sure, you can have a Belmont ripping through a modern city filled with the undead. Thats fine, even sounds cool. Don't be getting Mobile Police Patlabor, or some evil Einstein's super laser lab, coming into the scene though.

Your prejuidces are weird, the series has had almost every enemy in the world incluiding Motorcycle skeletons.

Motorcycle Skeletons were stupid, especially for the time period. Castlevania 64 was pretty bad in general in my opinion.

Humans in military armir suits with machineguns are no diffwrent than armored knights with swords, it's the same type of enemy in diferent times.

That's fine. Aria did it. Didn't say anything about soldiers, just mechs.

And your Castlevania will probably not come back. It would be weird a return to the classic formula when this game finally nailed it. I expect (and want) morr 2D games of course, but the old universe will feel boring, but that's my opinion.

Wishful thinking on your part. It's only as 'boring' as the team making it, and the budget they get.

Also, I don't consider LoS "nailing it". It's a side step at best. It's basically just it's own separate series with a few artificially implanted references here and there. The first game started off as a weird one shot experiment, and it's been off the rails ever since. Getting worse, not better.

tl;dr

Keep the mechs in Metal Gear where they belong. You're Castlevania. Act like it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:02:33 AM by uzo »

Offline jormungand

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Keep the mechs in Metal Gear where they belong. You're Castlevania. Act like it.

Poor Thin Man, Poor automatons, Poor robots that appeared in Kid Dracula series. Poor Mecha Knights and the Gear Steamer from Castlevania Bloodlines....

Bleh, kids these days.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I just want this shit to end already.

----

@jormungand

Where they focused that much though? There were only a few of these enemies types on Castlevania. We can even call them a joke, if anything. In LoS, they are to be taken seriously.

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
So, everyone, I think I'm out. Well, perhaps I'll stay around all this day but my time is coming to an end. It's my time for the final words.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow2 is quite an achievement. There are so many, so many things and could have go wrong and they didn't. It's finally the 3D castlevania game we always wanted, big, epic, with lots of exploration and platfforming, gorgeus (for the most part) setting and of course amazing combat. It's really nice to finally play as Dracula, you can't imagine the grin on my face the first time I did a "Hellfire" for example. The game treats both Castlevania series with uttermost respect, but is not afraid to make things feel new. That's what I want for the future. I don't want to go back to old predictable stories and settings, I want Castlevania to keep this path of boldness, it feels amazing, you feel as part of something you can't comprehend. I missed that feeling in gaming for many years (since the Legacy of Kain series) and I don't want it to go away.

So, as a summary, my (non so spoilery but kinda) pros and cons list.

Pros
(click to show/hide)

Cons
(click to show/hide)

Phew, that was a long one. Hope I helped you. Castlevania fans, you get your well deserved reward for all your fidelity. This game will be remembered fondly by history and is well deserving of all the praise it can get. It has flaws that can be corrected and, why not, perhaps a good DLC will put the icing on the cake ;) Bravo Mercury, Bravo and thank you! You changed my low expectations with awe and admiration!

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
@Agreus, I see that you keep calling this a metroidvania, but from what I heard the game is not all the open world.\

In fact, Cox and MS have made it a note to distance this from a metroidvania in interviews if I recall correctly.

Like take for instance Curse of Darkness, that game is a 3.D metroidvania where you can go anywhere and backtrack at anytime in a vast world, is Lords of Shadow 2 similar to that level of exploration?

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/