Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406417 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Thanks for sharing lots of information about the game, Agreus. Take care.

Regarding the enemies, due to how serious LoS takes it self, most of the things it tries to pull off ends up trumping the ninja maids in silliness. 

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
@Agreus, I see that you keep calling this a metroidvania, but from what I heard the game is not all the open world.\

In fact, Cox and MS have made it a note to distance this from a metroidvania in interviews if I recall correctly.

Like take for instance Curse of Darkness, that game is a 3.D metroidvania where you can go anywhere and backtrack at anytime in a vast world, is Lords of Shadow 2 similar to that level of exploration?
it is a metroidvania. Pure and simply. Believe me. Take my word from it. If Darksiders is a Metroidvania, if Arkham Asylum is a metroidvania, this is one too. Yes, you can backtrack everywhere and anytime.

As my psot got stuck on last post of last page lol I will dare to post it here again, as I would like people to read it, I'm sure it will reach mor epeople than my magazine's review! Sorry if it's against the rules.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, everyone, I think I'm out. Well, perhaps I'll stay around all this day but my time is coming to an end. It's my time for the final words.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow2 is quite an achievement. There are so many, so many things and could have go wrong and they didn't. It's finally the 3D castlevania game we always wanted, big, epic, with lots of exploration and platfforming, gorgeus (for the most part) setting and of course amazing combat. It's really nice to finally play as Dracula, you can't imagine the grin on my face the first time I did a "Hellfire" for example. The game treats both Castlevania series with uttermost respect, but is not afraid to make things feel new. That's what I want for the future. I don't want to go back to old predictable stories and settings, I want Castlevania to keep this path of boldness, it feels amazing, you feel as part of something you can't comprehend. I missed that feeling in gaming for many years (since the Legacy of Kain series) and I don't want it to go away.

So, as a summary, my (non so spoilery but kinda) pros and cons list.

Pros
(click to show/hide)

Cons
(click to show/hide)

Phew, that was a long one. Hope I helped you. Castlevania fans, you get your well deserved reward for all your fidelity. This game will be remembered fondly by history and is well deserving of all the praise it can get. It has flaws that can be corrected and, why not, perhaps a good DLC will put the icing on the cake ;) Bravo Mercury, Bravo and thank you! You changed my low expectations with awe and admiration!

Take care anyone! Any questions today will be answered gladly!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:29:30 AM by Agreus »

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
it is a metroidvania. Pure and simply. Believe me. Take my word from it. If Darksiders is a Metroidvania, if Arkham Asylum is a metroidvania, this is one too. Yes, you can backtrack everywhere and anytime.

But Cox has gone on the record of saying while it does carry elements from a metroidvania that it really was not intended to be one in the first place.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/30/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-progression-similar-to-metroidvania-titles/

"Cox stressed that Lords of Shadow’s 2 environment wasn’t consciously fashioned to feel like previous ‘Metroidvania’ titles and added, “Yeah, I mean it wasn’t a conscious decision to do that. People say to us ‘is this a Metroidvania style game,’ and I suppose in hindsight looking at it now, there are elements of that.

“But I wouldn’t say we’ve tried to model it on something like Symphony of Night, because it’s very different. Certainly there’s more scope for exploration and more scope for backtracking than there was in the original game, so it is closer to the classic games in that respect
.”"

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Metroidvania needs:

- A map that unlocks progressively as you explore (unless you find a map)
- Secrets areas that don't show easily on the map
- You can't advance there unless you get key/skill X/Y/Z
- It can have or not sequence breaker (as in not being linear, but still having importance to the gameplay, like in Super Metroid/SOTN where you could go to the underground first or explore the towers, etc).

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
They're mechs. Mechs need to stay out of Castlevania. Aria of Sorrow was in the present/future and handled it very well. It kept all the potentially crazy shit out of the spotlight and focused on what Castlevania is about.

Aria also did nothing to take advantage of it's modern setting outside of a zombie type and like 3 weapons.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Metroidvania needs:

- A map that unlocks progressively as you explore (unless you find a map)
- Secrets areas that don't show easily on the map
- You can't advance there unless you get key/skill X/Y/Z
- It can have or not sequence breaker (as in not being linear, but still having importance to the gameplay, like in Super Metroid/SOTN where you could go to the underground first or explore the towers, etc).
All of them yes. Sorry Cox, your game is a metroidvania.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
Aria also did nothing to take advantage of it's modern setting outside of a zombie type and like 3 weapons.

To be fair it was set in a old castle and the only reason why it had some modern elements in it was because thanks to the 1999 demon castle wars soldiers and other modern people had been there.

I'm sure if it was actually set in the city it would have also had just as much modern shit as Lords of Shadow 2 considering it is set even further in the future.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I think that was his point. It kept the Castlevania element there without going too crazy with the sillyness.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards

Well Cox and MS disagrees lol, but I will find out for myself once I get my hands on it.

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Well Cox and MS disagrees lol, but I will find out for myself once I get my hands on it.
Which is weird, there's nothing to be ashamed of, that's awesome.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
At what point does the game stops holding the hand?
When do you/can you start exploring for real?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
While I was watching walkthrough videos, I was thinking how this game took Aria's subtle method of bringing Castlevania to the future, beat it over the head, set it on fire, drove over it two times, and dumped its corpse in an abyss.   

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
AOS and DOS said they took place in the future, and that was about it. I don't know if "subtle" is the right word to use, or "uninspired". In my opinion, those games took an opportunity to take Castlevania into new visual territory, and threw it away.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I agree with Jeffrey in that the sorrow games utilized the modern setting too little (though DoS was more upfront about it with the prologue and first stage), but I think Lords 2 has gone to the other extreme without hitting that sweet middle spot.

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
At what point does the game stops holding the hand?
When do you/can you start exploring for real?
After the first Acolyte. You still have freedom when you first enter the castle though, but your habilities are kidna limited then.