Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406055 times)

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
UGH, I WANT THIS GAME NOW!

WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL TUESDAY!?!?

Because Cox gets to point and laugh while he plays his own copy. All while he sits and watchs these posts about wanting to play his game. He is getting strength from our tears, sir.  He is getting strength from our tears.

Offline Shiitake

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
it is a metroidvania. Pure and simply. Believe me. Take my word from it. If Darksiders is a Metroidvania, if Arkham Asylum is a metroidvania, this is one too. Yes, you can backtrack everywhere and anytime.

A true Metroidvania game forces you to backtrack to progress with minimal guidance, right?
In LoS2 that's is optional, you can backtrack for upgrades, collectibles, extras if you want. I've just beat the Leaked Edition and never used the wolf medal, not once. And your mission is always marked on your map. So may I say LoS2 looks quite a lot but not work much like a metroidvania?

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Diving back into spoiler territory a bit but here's the Agreus stealth segment where reviewers were throwing a bitch fit at:

(click to show/hide)

Granted, he probably retried this a million times but it seems that these stealth sections feels like they're overblown a bit by reviewers.
Wow, he made that look pretty easy.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Diving back into spoiler territory a bit but here's the Agreus stealth segment where reviewers were throwing a bitch fit at:

(click to show/hide)

Granted, he probably retried this a million times but it seems that these stealth sections feels like they're overblown a bit by reviewers.

Would I be bad person for saying that actually looked...fun?

Reminded me of those sections in Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, Hyrule Castle and Forgotten Fortress. The latter was particularly annoying, but boy was it satisfying to beat.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Would I be bad person for saying that actually looked...fun?

Nah you wouldn't be a bad person.

Crazy? Maybe, but not bad.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Hope you know that David Cox loves Kid Dracula series tough.

Based on your judgement, ED-209 is an automaton not a mech btw.

So with this I rest my case and hope to talk about something else.

I like Kid Dracula too, but it's a parody. LoS2 is serious business, or so it thinks it is at least.

And I've been using many different references with mechs, piloted and unpiloted to make sure I cover all bases. They're all mechs.

Dracula fighting gundams is just lame. There are some things that just stick out like a sore thumb, and that is definitely making the list.

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
A true Metroidvania game forces you to backtrack to progress with minimal guidance, right?
In LoS2 that's is optional, you can backtrack for upgrades, collectibles, extras if you want. I've just beat the Leaked Edition and never used the wolf medal, not once. And your mission is always marked on your map. So may I say LoS2 looks quite a lot but not work much like a metroidvania?
To go to certains parts of the city you must backtrack and use abilities you didn't have before. Same with the castle. That is not optional.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:20:38 PM by Agreus »

Offline dienekes96

• Awards
Maybe it is fun when you know what you are doing.  Until you figure it out, it is pretty frustrating.  Now that y'all know via that snazzy video, you might actually enjoy it.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
@uzo

are you completely ruling out the possibility of you ever playing los2, or are u just skipping it for now & perhaps consider revisiting it sometime in the future

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Nah you wouldn't be a bad person.

Crazy? Maybe, but not bad.

After all that anti-hype, "designed by satan" as Ahasverus said on Neogaf, I'm honestly disappointed.

It looks no worse than those goddamn moblins in Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, so if that's what they mean by insta-fail stealth, then I don't see the problem.

Maybe it is fun when you know what you are doing.  Until you figure it out, it is pretty frustrating.  Now that y'all know via that snazzy video, you might actually enjoy it.

Again, so was Forgotten Fortress. That was at the beginning of the game and I remember getting caught over and over and over again. And it was long, too.

I feel like "frustrating" nowadays is always considered mutually exclusive with "good", which while I can understand, I disagree with.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
@uzo

are you completely ruling out the possibility of you ever playing los2, or are u just skipping it for now & perhaps consider revisiting it sometime in the future

I can't say I'll never play it. I don't have enough narrative investment to care about the story, so I'm not jumping up and grabbing it immediately. I doubt I'll pay more than 5$ for it on Steam if I ever do buy it at all. I'd be much more likely to play it if someone I knew were to have gotten it and lent it to me, though I know no one locally who likes the LoS games at all so that's out.

It'll probably fall on my plate for study purposes at some point or another though.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
After all that anti-hype, "designed by satan" as Ahasverus said on Neogaf, I'm honestly disappointed.

To be fair, I think he was being sarcastic.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
I can't say I'll never play it. I don't have enough narrative investment to care about the story, so I'm not jumping up and grabbing it immediately. I doubt I'll pay more than 5$ for it on Steam if I ever do buy it at all. I'd be much more likely to play it if someone I knew were to have gotten it and lent it to me, though I know no one locally who likes the LoS games at all so that's out.

It'll probably fall on my plate for study purposes at some point or another though.

Dumb and Dumber- So you're telling me there's a chance

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Would anyone be against a thread discussing our final thoughts on the LoS saga as a whole?

Offline Agreus

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
You can't go back to the throne room after the endgame? lame :P

anything