Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406187 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Surprised that nobody mentioned this, but doing QTE's give you extra exp, so im guessing that disabling them give you no extra exp.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
You are right. I think is because he is refering to his wife and his son. But apart of that, I cannot remember other situation like that...
What part of reboot you don't get?

Everything comes full circle

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
question:

I'm going to insta turn off QTE's.

if im doing that, should I turn the difficulty to hard to compensate?

im not sure on it. QTE's are usually the brunt of the difficulty in these games, since they are split second timing things, and turning them off feels like easymode. but I also dont want to go balls deep into hard mode and fuck myself over in combat as well

It's shitty design, fake difficult. Turn then off as they fucking sucks 100% of the time.

I always play games on hard.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
What part of reboot you don't get?

Well, I dont like the term "reboot" since the beginning. I respect LoS as a game, but nothing more...

EDIT: I see the two timelines or "cannon" as without get merged.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:42:52 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
Forgot to ask: is LoS2 stealth any good? Does it feel justified?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
You know, this is the only comment that rustles my jimmies anymore.

There's nothing more "true blooded" about Leon Belmont or any of the original canon Belmonts than Gabriel Belmont or any of the LoS Belmonts. At some point, Leon had an ancestor with no last name, and someone called him "Belmont" and thus the Belmont last name was born. Same thing in LoS.

Yes, but at least, neither Leon nor his descendents become Dracula, isn´t?
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
i mean if anyone of these leakers that are posting all this info here acquired the game Saturday and finished it late Sunday or earlier today then that just means u took the easy method of beating it (or all these guys are just superduper hardcore elite gamers that beat 20+ hour games in 24 hours after theyre released). im not judging, whatever floats ur boats guys to each their own

i just cant buy a game ive been waiting several years for, just to put it on easy & be done with it in no time. a lot of the fun in these types of games is getting your ass kicked several times, then finally defeating it once you figure out a good strategy to overcome said obstacle. such a satisfying feeling, which is why i take pride in saying i conquered the entire devil may cry or ninja gaiden series on the hardest settings. very rarely do i ever set any game i play on "easy mode." am i the only 1 here that feels this way?

usually it takes me at least a week to finish a game of this calibur. factor in other priorities (work, errands, etc.) i just dont have time to sit down & complete a 20 hour game in 1 sitting.

or maybe u guys just used the strategy guides? either way i never buy those either. if i get stuck somewhere i just look up hints on youtube lol
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:38:25 PM by crisis »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
They would have been unless IGA hadn't retconned Sonia.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Leon is every bit as retcon as Gabriel could be, the old series' first Belmont was Trevor, plain and simple (some would Argue Sonia was too) IGA just wanted to feel important. LoS is a reboot, it exists, that's what it is, what you think or not is irrelevant.
Forgot to ask: is LoS2 stealth any good? Does it feel justified?
No and no. Sadly the worst part, happily it lasts 5 minutes max.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Leon is every bit as retcon as Gabriel could be, the old series' first Belmont was Trevor, plain and simple (some would Argue Sonia was too) IGA just wanted to feel important. LoS is a reboot, it exists, that's what it is, what you think or not is irrelevant.

Well, the same could be said of all of our comments, not pal? I mean, you want to LoS be part of the canon, isn´t? But MS and Cox insist that is a different story, am I wrong? So, if you think that is the same canon, is irrelevant too.

If is a reboot, there is a lot of history to tell. Remember Cox words: "Forget all you know about Castlevania". ´Nuff said...

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Well, the same could be said of all of our comments, not pal? I mean, you want to LoS be part of the canon, isn´t? But MS and Cox insist that is a different story, am I wrong? So, if you think that is the same canon, is irrelevant too.
I never said that. And if I did, that was irrelevant too. There is no "much story to tell", the LoS story is whatever the LoS team needs it to be, it doesn't have to be 25 games leading nowehere like old series. Or it could. Whatever they want.

Some of you people should stop masking your insecurities covering the sun with the tip of your finger.

Offline NagoriyukiSlayer

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
When it comes to the future of the Castlevania series, I think Konami is going to continue in the LOS universe. Them going back to the original timeline would be like a step backwards, as most people would not be familiar with what is going on and would become confused quickly. The fact that Konami wanted the ending changed is just proof that they have plans for a Lords of Shadow 3, be it a prequel or a sequel. (assuming LOS2 sells well, of course) Personally, as lackluster as that ending and final battle was, I'd rather them end it here than have 10-15 games in one universe before deciding "Uh-oh, we're running out of spaces in the timeline! Time to reboot!"

If Castlevania is going to not run into the same problems the original series did, the developers need to think of ways to push the series' gameplay forward and not rehash the same basic style of gameplay from seven games prior. Granted, not every problem the original series had was controllable. (games being released back when plots in video games weren't all that strong) Having every game in the series being about the Belmonts would only lead to it getting stagnant in the long run, especially if they all have the same basic abilities and backgrounds. Same thing with Dracula being the last boss of nearly every game in the series. Who said that Dracula had to be the final boss? Why not give a gameplay and story reason for some other monster/malevolent being/whatever to be the last boss, be it Death, Walter Bernhard, Carmilla, Frankenstein, or even a rogue Belmont who is the final boss because <insert whatever well-executed plot point here>?

My point is that, with a title as generic as Castlevania, you could make it about pretty much anything as long as a castle is involved in some way or another.

At the end of the day, though, I am happy with whatever Castlevania game is released as long as it's fun to play. That's part of the reason why I plan on getting LOS2 tomorrow because, as unsatisfying as the ending and final battle is, what matters when I'm playing a game is if I am having fun and not whether the game has any connection to the old timeline. (not that that's a bad thing, though that wouldn't apply to LOS2) Granted, the reviews for the game will sway how soon I will be getting the game, but I still think I will enjoy the game in spite of it's flaws.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #7242 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
Belmont as a main character.

Dracula as the main antagonist, no more origin story bs. Just make him the guy you fight at the end, plain and simple.

Traditional platforming.

Make it less llike God of War, or perferably nothing like God of War.

Make it challenging, yet fair.

Have more traditional Castlevania music, Get Yamane back if possible or someone of equal talent.

Have it set in a castle full of monsters from B horror movies and various mythologies.

Make a new timeline or set it in the old one, doesn't matter either way.

And finally:

Make it 2D, not 2.5D, not 2 half and 1/4 quarters, 2motherfuckinD.

BAM, there's you're Castlevania.

P.S: make it a Classicvania like Adventure Rebirth, Give the Metroidvania format a rest.

Pretty much all of this. I don't mind if Dracula has some more character development but I'm easy either way. Also I'm fine with both 2.5D and 3D but really I'm good with whatever.

Offline jormungand

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
As requested, here's the list of all the bosses in LOS 2.

(click to show/hide)

And thats it.
I don't listed some sub-bosses because after you defeat them, they spawn as normal enemies.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I never said that. And if I did, that was irrelevant too. There is no "much story to tell", the LoS story is whatever the LoS team needs it to be, it doesn't have to be 25 games leading nowehere like old series. Or it could. Whatever they want.

Some of you people should stop masking your insecurities covering the sun with the tip of your finger.

The only thing that I said, is that I dont want a Belmont turning Dracula. I dont understand your complaint. For all past and present post from you, it seems that you want the history of LoS being merged with the old canon (IGA or not IGA). I mentioned that I dont remember other situation with a "human feeling" Dracula in the old canon. Then you mentioned that what part of the reboot I don´t get it. Maybe we get confused in that part, I am sorry. And apply your last statement with yourself, too...

EDIT: And I refer that is a lot to history to tell, because someone here give the information that the ending for LoS 2 is intended for posible sequels...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:10:36 PM by Mike Belmont »