Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406134 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Really?,
(click to show/hide)

My opinion about the game.

In my opinion is a great game, first of all, reviews below 7 are total BS, never had any problem with the stealth parts, a non issue for me and to be honest I have fun with them but I must say that they don't belong to a Castlevania game.

I feel like they dropped the ball with the last 3rd of the game, the story feels rushed, characters underused, the last boss is mediocre, and the ending was OK but not the ending to close the LoS saga, they better have a kickass last boss and ending in the DLC.

The combat is super fun but the mastery system is pointless. Music is amazing, the art in the castle is amazing as well but the city is mediocre at best. Love the Carmilla and Toymaker parts but I'm dissapointed at Alucard's role in the game and the absence of Simon, the story had a lot of potential but they barely scratched the surface, overall I love Gabriel in this game, probably in my top 3 of favourite Castlevania characters.

Overall, taking into account that Castlevania was a dead corpse before, MS not the most prestigious company with lack of resources, I think they have done a great job, no matter what happen with this game, the franchise is alive thanks to them and for that I'm grateful, plus LoS1 is one of my favourite games of last gen.

Now is up to Konami to chose the right developer to continue the franchise but they must know that some fans can't stand change, they live in the past and they can't accept anything but SoTN clones, good luck with that.

No, fuck you. Stop making fans like a fucking hivemind, everyone is entitled to their opinions. If the majority of the fans wants this, who are you to say that they are wrong?

And I wouldn't want no one to herd this monster without identity called Lords of Shadow. It's dead for me, hope it stays this way. And if Castlevania is dead after it, so be it, I prefer it dying that way than having another LoS game.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
- A new classic/IGA game, and fans won't be pleased.
- A new LoS game, and fans won't be pleased.
- A whole new game, and there's some hope.

Oh, that discussion again.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Can't we just want a good game? I'm sure I'll find enjoyment in anything that comes my way next.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
- A new classic/IGA game,
Don't be so sure, theres a difference between a classic game, and an IGA game.

That said, a sprite based classicvania like Rebirth, despite being fun and cool, probably wouldnt do too well. I dont know how well rebirth sold.

And a large portion of the fabase really is of the "SotN was my first vania and I dont like anything else but metroidvanias" kind.  It can't be denied. They exist. There's also the people who never really liked metroidvanias at all too.

And if Castlevania is dead after it, so be it, I prefer it dying that way than having another LoS game.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:40:22 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Can't we just want a good game? I'm sure I'll find enjoyment in anything that comes my way next.
I wouldn't mind another reboot. I gave LoS a chance, and I'll give anything else they give us a chance. But I won't like another LoS automatically. It's that bad (for me).

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I'm wondering how Konami themselves would handle the LoS world given the chance. For one I might worry about the production values, given the reputation of Konami japan and 3D Castlevania, but i'd also wonder about the story and characters.

Like, what if they stuck Kojima on board? I think he might not do that bad. Well, maybe I'm just curious.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
There's three shitty games out already, it doesn't matter what they do on a next game, they blew it on the first game for me and finished to kill it on the second. I don't care for a third or a fourth.

If they want to mantain that gameplay but change the setting, I would be ok (given they drop the automatic platforming).

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I am of the super wishful thinking mind that maybe Konami will keep making third person action/adventure Castlevanias for consoles and at the same time keep making 2D Castlevanias for handhelds or being made available as downloads from PSN or XBM.

I would be super pleased if we got a big budget Consolevania every 2 or 3 years and in between each one, a 2D Castlevania.

But Konami isn't Nintendo, and they likely don't have the resources to handle that kind of release schedule for something like Castlevania

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
That's like, your opinion man.

I disagree. I can agree on faults, including some grievous ones, but as a whole, im mostly satisfied with the LoS games. Only the supposed ending really makes me upset.

Hey here's a plot inconsistency. The story forgot about this-

Zobek is all like, TRAITORS! IMMA KILL YOU!

meanwhile- Satan is resurrecting somewhere.

So, whatever happened to "only you in possession of your powers can stop Satan"? Did Zobek forget that? What was he gonna do once he killed Gabe? take on Satan and be killed? Hide?

he could have waited for AFTER gabe killed satan to call him a betrayer and try to kill him.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:55:19 AM by Flame »

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
No, fuck you. Stop making fans like a fucking hivemind, everyone is entitled to their opinions. If the majority of the fans wants this, who are you to say that they are wrong?

And I wouldn't want no one to herd this monster without identity called Lords of Shadow. It's dead for me, hope it stays this way. And if Castlevania is dead after it, so be it, I prefer it dying that way than having another LoS game.

Talk about a kneejerk reaction. He said "some fans", so you can get to work with unknotting those panties now. Things don't always have to be about you.

It's a crude statement with some truth in it. Browsing various places online, you frequently see people saying "bring back iga", "now iga can come back", or "where's my 99 game". There's a loud voice for a return to a specific kind of castlevania game even though it might not be the best approach. If another Metroidvania landed and it was still reusing Rondo sprites and repeating hallways, I probably wouldn't even bother.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:02:11 AM by derision »

Offline Dracul_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
My humble opinion is this: The 99 game that IGA owes to the people... and that's it. No more from him. While the games were very good, the story was getting to stupid levels. Besides Castlevania is in Europe, not Japan, leave Japan out from Castlevania. You don't see a whip versus a katana, a Belmont versus a Samurai. Gotta give someone else a chance.

On the other hand, if a LOS3 comes out, in any way or another, we will accept it and maybe even like it. In the end of the day, it's up to Konami to decide if the want to paste the name Castlevania to someone with rifles and shotguns storming a castle to kill a Vampire dictator or something. We are allowed to rant about it.

LOS2 is good, like an IGA game, the gameplay is good, but the story lackluster. But at least it's different to recycling SOTN like IGA did for many many years. It worked, it was good, but new blood was needed.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
My humble opinion is this: The 99 game that IGA owes to the people... and that's it. No more from him. While the games were very good, the story was getting to stupid levels. Besides Castlevania is in Europe, not Japan, leave Japan out from Castlevania. You don't see a whip versus a katana, a Belmont versus a Samurai. Gotta give someone else a chance.

I agree with this. I think Iga's games are fun but some of his ideas are bad or unfinished. For example Hector as a Devil Forge Master. Why don't these guys ever show up again? As for the Japan thing I agree completely. Normally I wouldn't care but in this case I do. I think the events of the sorrow games are fine just leave out the Japanese stuff please.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
when mom and dad used to fight they would always tell me "we're just having a discussion honey, go back to bed"   : (

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I just realized- listening to LoS2's Satan battle theme, at the end, during the reprise of Final Confrontation, they are chanting "Castlevania"

Listen to 5:20

Satan (Grand Battle) - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 OST

And that made my day. That makes the track 10x better.

I really wish I knew what they were chanting in other tracks of LoS1 and 2!

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
WUT

NO SIMON? No one new? REALLY?

So I wasn't being rused...? ;__;