Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406038 times)

Offline JayDominus

• Count Janus Dominus
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Because the soundtrack is an imperative part of the gameplay, right? :rollseyes:
Considering how it's Castlevania we're talking about...

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Uh, who said it was gameplay-only on that picture?  :rollseyes:
When you're trying to advertise a good image for a video game you would normally focus on the gameplay, not the icing on top. Makes it look like a critic's review for a film.

I just found it silly. nbd honestly

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
When you're trying to advertise a good image for a video game you would normally focus on the gameplay, not the icing on top. Makes it look like a critic's review for a film.

I just found it silly. nbd honestly
Not really.

Soundtrack is every bit as important as the gameplay.

4 big things:

1. Gameplay
2. Presentation/visuals
3. Music
4. Story

(not necessarily in that order)

If a game is amazing but has shit music, it  affects the overall experience.

speaking of music, i really wouldn't mind if Oscar Aurujo came back for future CV titles. You can tell he enjoys what he does, and had fun making the music for LoS2. it just screams "passion".
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline JayDominus

• Count Janus Dominus
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards

4 big things:

1. Gameplay
2. Presentation/visuals
3. Music
4. Story

(not necessarily in that order)

If a game is amazing but has shit music, it  affects the overall experience.

speaking of music, i really wouldn't mind if Oscar Aurujo came back for future CV titles. You can tell he enjoys what he does, and had fun making the music for LoS2. it just screams "passion".
Gimme a high-five! I wholeheartedly agree on Oscar coming back for future games.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Because the soundtrack is an imperative part of the gameplay, right? :rollseyes:

Considering the number of times I've heard how music is one of someone's most important reasons for playing Castlevania, I'd say it is.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards

When it comes to Castlevania it's like a "no shit it has good music" sort of thing. When I pick up a game that says "Castlevania" it better have good music. It's like saying "the gold coins in Mario are as gold as ever!"

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
So our good friend Alvarez has been interviewed by Eurogamer Spain. He speaks about the LoS2's development, tries to make sense out of its story, and says a few things about MS's future. And then there's his reaction to LoS2's reviews, which you can find if you scroll down a bit.

http://www.eurogamer.es/articles/entrevista-enric-alvarez-esto-que-ha-pasado-con-castlevania-es-totalmente-injusto

This one's particularly... interesting:

Puedes decir, 'a mi me me gusta mucho el rock pero no soporto la ópera', esto es una opinión, no un análisis. Si tuviera que hacer un análisis de "Don Giovanni" no sabría ni por donde empezar y este ejercicio de honestidad falta en la prensa de videojuegos. Hay mucha gente que analiza videojuegos y no está a la altura del videojuego que analiza.

Rock and opera? Don Giovanni? That man must really be desperate.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:32:48 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline JayDominus

• Count Janus Dominus
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
As long as he injects more variety into his music, I wouldn't have a problem. That, or like some past games, feature a couple of different composers per installment. While I don't care for his music, his music works well for cut-scenes, particularly dramatic scenes. I wouldn't mind if he was given the main duties of scoring for THAT, while someone else could inject some of that classic Castlevania sound during the gameplay sections. I actually think BOTH could work together.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
As long as he injects more variety into his music, I wouldn't have a problem. That, or like some past games, feature a couple of different composers per installment. While I don't care for his music, his music works well for cut-scenes, particularly dramatic scenes. I wouldn't mind if he was given the main duties of scoring for THAT, while someone else could inject some of that classic Castlevania sound during the gameplay sections. I actually think BOTH could work together.

I felt Lords 2's music was plenty varied.

What i notice though, and he did this in loS1 also, is in all or most of  the tracks, he tries to fit in the main theme of the game as the underscore or background. Which is probably why a lot of tracks in loS1 felt so samey
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
Spanish isn't exactly my most proficient language, so I'm not about to translate the article. But you can take a look at this if you like. It doesn't transcribe the full interview, which is why I didn't post it.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/03/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-studio-boss-one-must-be-blind-or-stupid-to-give-it-a-410/
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
When it comes to Castlevania it's like a "no shit it has good music" sort of thing. When I pick up a game that says "Castlevania" it better have good music. It's like saying "the gold coins in Mario are as gold as ever!"

I'm just gonna go straight to the point and say, "what the hell are you talking about?"

Favorable quotes about graphics, music, pretty much anything about a game have been plastered on promo stuff and even boxes for decades.

Arajuo gained notoriety and awards for his LoS work and it's a legit selling point. People typically like good music in their games.

This is the definition of a non-issue.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

Quote from: Enric Alvarez
“I agree that, in the end, it’s an opinion, and an opinion is totally respectable, but let’s not confuse an opinion and a review. The review is about the object and the opinion is about the subject. You can say “I do really rock but I hate opera”, and this is an opinion, not a review. If I had to review “Don Giovanni” I wouldn’t even know how to start, and this honestly is something the gaming press lacks. A lot of people who review games do not live up to the game they’re reviewing.

Really dude? Really? Just keep digging yourself a grave with that ego.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I already said it wasn't a big deal man :V

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I felt Lords 2's music was plenty varied.

What i notice though, and he did this in loS1 also, is in all or most of  the tracks, he tries to fit in the main theme of the game as the underscore or background. Which is probably why a lot of tracks in loS1 felt so samey
Not varied enough, IMO. The most varied in LoS2 was the use of electronic music.

While I don't mind if composers use motifs in their scores, the overuse, IMO, which sometimes happens does not good. I think that's the downside with having a movie-like video game. Where as in movies, you CAN get away with something of the such, because movies aren't typically long. In video games, however, you spend a longer time emersed in the world, so the typical movie composer route just won't cut it most of the time. I'm not saying you can't have movie-like music, but in games, give us something MORE than just THAT.

Of course, wonder how much of Oscar's creativity was stilted by Konami. From the whole comment about typical CV music being "feminie"(which is bullshit), it seemed like he wanted to do something similar but was encouraged to do something different.

Also, it might be just me, but I wouldn't mind hearing a little more church organ or harpsicord in his pieces. Maybe even a little more nods to classic composers like Bach(which CV, in general, is known to do).