Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406134 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
To be honest you guys and this may be heresy but I been thinking that Zobek battle may be tad overrated.
A lot of the hype has to do with the fact we all wanted this to be in LoS1. When he knew Zobek was infact the LoS Death, I expected to see him brandish a giant scythe and fight Gabriel at the end. Finally seeing it realized is exciting, and while it may not have lived up to the insane hype it's still cool to see it actually happen. Just another one of the many instances due to LoS being hyped up during it's marketing to being something it ended up not being at all.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:25:35 AM by OSM »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
but the general consensus at the time was that los1 wasnt "castlevania enough".. now that los2 is out people are saying it shoulda been more like los1? wtf?

its just people flip-flopping on their opinions, like you said

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Also you guys lol I just remembered something.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
but the general consensus at the time was that los1 wasnt "castlevania enough".. now that los2 is out people are saying it shoulda been more like los1? wtf?

LoS2 looks way more Castlevania than LoS1 did, and all around it looks like it plays better too, sans the stealth. I guess LoS got a bigger, more vocal fanbase over the years. Releasing it on Steam probably helped A LOT.
(click to show/hide)
Victor's death really doesn't make any sense. Besides having a fragment of the Mirror of Fate his inclusion was really pointless, he's a wasted opportunity that could have been one of the better characters in the LoS series.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:29:28 AM by OSM »

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

People who liked LoS for what it was, don't like that LoS 2 catered more I guess (I tried to) older fans instead if being/staying true to itself.  Or something. 

Meh, we'll go with flip-flopping.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)

When people say this, I'm pretty sure they aren't talking about the "Castlevanianess" of it, which really just boils down to "gothic castle scenery". Everyone loves the castle sections in LoS2. I think what people mean is that they wanted:
A. More majesty of environment, unlike LoS2's city.
B. A better sense of journey and adventure
C. Better storytelling

(click to show/hide)

Claudia's death actually served a significant purpose. Zobek mind controlled Gabriel into killing her so that the Black Knight would turn against him, forcing Gabriel to fight him and take the hell gauntlet from him which he would not have done normally. Themeatically, it also added another kill to Gabriel's list and one more way Zobek dicked him over.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I agree with you on claudia but my point was to show Mr. Alvarez is a hack who uses the same story scenario only this time it sucks.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
i just think had they done that, brought back Zobek narrations, the "storybook" style, moar journeying, etc. then people still woulda complained how its too close to los1 in style rather than "doing its own thing." am i wrong?

even if/when they give the fans what we want, we'll still complain about it. its a never-ending cycle. look at watchmen; without a doubt the most faithful comic book movie film ever made (that and Sin City), but fans complained because it was only 99% accurate instead of 100%

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
LoS2 will soon be acclaimed as a great game with a few bad parts and weak ending.... much like LoS1 (minus the ending part, which was one of LoS1's strong points)

LoS2 Channels SoTN and AoS much like how LoS1 channeled SCv4 and LoI
Victor is too much alike to Julius, too bad MS didn't apply Victor as an actual character
Alucard plays a similar Role in LOS2 and in both SoTN and AoS
there are a ton of homages to both games in Story and Gameplay, and even music.
in other aspects, the war with the humans and demons bear strong resemblance to a certain war in AoS.

does anyone else feel like that?
i don't think so. Even with the homages.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
i just think had they done that, brought back Zobek narrations, the "storybook" style, moar journeying, etc. then people still woulda complained how its too close to los1 in style rather than "doing its own thing." am i wrong?

even if/when they give the fans what we want, we'll still complain about it. its a never-ending cycle. look at watchmen; without a doubt the most faithful comic book movie film ever made (that and Sin City), but fans complained because it was only 99% accurate instead of 100%

Someone will always be able to complain. That's life. However, the vast majority of the complaints about LoS1, at least from here, were that it just didn't "feel" Castlevania i.e. no candles, too bright, such jungle, wow. Nobody really complained about the narrations, the storybook style, the journeying, etc, so I think if LoS2 had had all of that, we would be seeing far less complaints on both sides.

i don't think so. Even with the homages.

I agree with Maedhros  :o

People remember games for the experiences they had. As good as the gameplay can be in LoS2, there are too many thorns. For every "Wasn't that fight awesome!" there's a "Well, yeah, but the part after it was kind of lame"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:05:49 PM by e105beta »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Considering how much Victor got the shaft (dohohoho) in this game, I'm extremely grateful they didn't make him Julius as originally intended.

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Victor sacrificed himself to draw suspicion away from Dracula, allowing him to keep his "element of surprise," and make the acolytes think that it was the Brotherhood that was challenging them.
So there was a purpose. Not calling it the best purpose storywise, however...

http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Victor sacrificed himself to draw suspicion away from Dracula, allowing him to keep his "element of surprise," and make the acolytes think that it was the Brotherhood that was challenging them.
So there was a purpose. Not calling it the best purpose storywise, however...

The problem with the purpose is it serves no purpose. Challenge or no challenge, Dracula would still have snuck into the headquarters all the same and engaged Nergal in single combat.

I also have a beef with the fact that Nergal was more powerful than Satan, but whatever.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Well we don't really know that. Satan never got a chance to fight Dracula directly. He intentionally possessed Alucard because Satan, is an asshole and wanted to make Gabriel fight his own son and call his bluff on killing his own son to kill him.

That kind of underhanded act pretty much fits the character.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Well we don't really know that. Satan never got a chance to fight Dracula directly. He intentionally possessed Alucard because Satan, is an asshole and wanted to make Gabriel fight his own son and call his bluff on killing his own son to kill him.

That kind of underhanded act pretty much fits the character.

It's true, but when that gambit was up, if he was actually more powerful, he would have busted out and fought Dracula one on one, not died.

LoS Dracula is "survive a nuclear blast to the face" tier at max strength. If he's shredding through Raisa, Zobek, and Satan, Nergal should have been little more than another boss fight.