Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406205 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
The Arcade was for the Japanese market, and that was like the best thing ever.

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards

Maybe another Soma Cruz game.

(click to show/hide)

I'd be here for that. Poor Sonia always getting the short stick

Lily Allen - Hard Out Here (Official Video)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:45:20 AM by Dominus »

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Well that's a shame. Seeing as how even though Thief sold the most, only 15% of its sales were for the 360 and 8% were for the PS3. That being said, Thief also got a pretty lukewarm reception as being a far cry from its predecessors and being pretty glitchy.

But that didn't seem to matter as much as all of those people who bought PS4/XB1s wanting something to play on them. Hell, now that the PS4 is out in Japan, by the end of February Sony has sold over 6 Million PS4s.

So I would definitely say that only being last gen probably did hurt them just as much as the reviews did. Which is a shame, because while Lords of Shadow 2 is in no way a perfect game, and I have my own complaints with it, I feel that the focus on the stealth sections was ludicrously overblown.

I think if they had released for the PS4/XB1 and taken advantage of the better specs, that many more copies would have been sold, just due to lack of library for those systems as of yet. Because from all I've seen, Thief has suffered more outrage from its old fanbase community than Lords of Shadow 2 ever did from its respective base.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Well that's a shame. Seeing as how even though Thief sold the most, only 15% of its sales were for the 360 and 8% were for the PS3. That being said, Thief also got a pretty lukewarm reception as being a far cry from its predecessors and being pretty glitchy.

But that didn't seem to matter as much as all of those people who bought PS4/XB1s wanting something to play on them. Hell, now that the PS4 is out in Japan, by the end of February Sony has sold over 6 Million PS4s.

So I would definitely say that only being last gen probably did hurt them just as much as the reviews did. Which is a shame, because while Lords of Shadow 2 is in no way a perfect game, and I have my own complaints with it, I feel that the focus on the stealth sections was ludicrously overblown.

I think if they had released for the PS4/XB1 and taken advantage of the better specs, that many more copies would have been sold, just due to lack of library for those systems as of yet. Because from all I've seen, Thief has suffered more outrage from its old fanbase community than Lords of Shadow 2 ever did from its respective base.

As someone who is waiting to get a PS4 until there's, you know, something actually on it, I didn't think being last gen only would hurt it that much.

I guess you're right. People are just looking for something to play on their next gen consoles.

Offline Trevelyan

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)

Yeah, agreed on that.  It's some real bad timing.   I think how quickly the next gens sold took Konami by surprise, but I guess it would have been fine if it wasn't for that six month delay. 

From the sounds of it, the game has at least sold decently, so it shouldn't stop Konami developing something new.  Ideally we'd get some news on what kind of game it'll be before too long. 

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
The Arcade was for the Japanese market, and that was like the best thing ever.
Dat soundtrack.

Offline GigaDan

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)

1. Stop telling yourself this game would've done better if blank. This game did as well as it deserved.

2. Even though Thief doesn't look amazing next gen, it certainly looks better compared to it's competition than LoS2 does against it's contemporaries.

3. How the hell is a 100 person team supposed to make a next-gen launch window title on a proprietary engine?? Though they are similar to pc's there's still a lot of immaturity in the toolsets leading up to launch (especially from ms.) The art barely looks up to snuff for a 7th gen game. As an 8th gen game it would've gotten even lower scores.

4. That's because the heart of the cv community died for the most part about 4 years ago and the series has been consistently shit on by Konami budget-wise since Castlevania Chronicles.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
4. That's because the heart of the cv community died for the most part about 4 years ago and the series has been consistently shit on by Konami budget-wise since Castlevania Chronicles.
Yeaah no. Still second best Castlevania launch.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dracul_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
I don't luke the idea of a Castlevania made in Japan... again. I don´t like it at all unless its the Julius Belmont game. I really did like the story of LOS (except the end and Victor). It was a serious story. I don't want a game made from japanese guys set in the 1400's Europe with katanas or tsuchinokos. It's ridiculous.

Offline GigaDan

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
I wouldn't say that Lament of Innocence, Order of Ecclesia, or Curse of Darkness were "silly". They certainly each had problems but the only one if throw in the pit with LoS is Lament. That game is very poorly designed.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I wouldn't say that Lament of Innocence, Order of Ecclesia, or Curse of Darkness were "silly". They certainly each had problems but the only one if throw in the pit with LoS is Lament. That game is very poorly designed.
Chair room? Cats? Do they ring a bell to you?

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I just realized that I've been playing the game for a few days now and I haven't put up my impressions.

Positives so far:

1. I like the combat more in this game than in the first

2. The castle areas a beautiful, love the art direction here.

3. Bosses are fun, albeit a bit on the easy side.

4. Love the somewhat non linear level world, much better than the level based structure from the first game (imo).

5. I might be in the minority but I do like the soundtrack in this game, especially some of the battle themes mixed the the electronic synths going on.

And now for the not so positives:

1. Some areas of the city settings are boring compared to the castle area's, especially in term of art direction.

2. Stealth sections, while not as bad as they seem, are very basic and too straightforward with little to no freedom. And it's downright stupid that I still have to sneak around these generic Unreal Tournament monsters despite the fact that I am physically capable of taking them on with the claws and such.

3. The modern enemies you fight are basically generic reskinned werewolves with a Resident Evil backstory and you fight them %80 of the time you're there, the other %20 are riot guards and Metal Gears.

4. The plot, oh dear God THE PLOT!

And that's my impressions so far, I like it a bit more than the first and I may finish up either today or tomorrow, as it stands the game is a 7.5 for me until I finish it.

P.S. Call me nuts, but out of all the stealth segments in the game, Agreus was my favorite and was not as hard as these chump ass journalist's claimed it to be. 4 hours my ass Kotaku, I beat it in 4 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:13:30 AM by Kingshango »

Offline GigaDan

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Chair room? Cats? Do they ring a bell to you?
"The terrible state of the pipes down here would perturb even my brother Mario." How about that MGS moment in Lords 1 or the terrible "Cake is not a lie" joke? Hell, isn't Castlevania city a joke at best? I will take cats and chair rooms over that clumsy forced crap any day.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I don't luke the idea of a Castlevania made in Japan... again. I don´t like it at all unless its the Julius Belmont game. I really did like the story of LOS (except the end and Victor). It was a serious story. I don't want a game made from japanese guys set in the 1400's Europe with katanas or tsuchinokos. It's ridiculous.
The Tsuchinoko only appears in Aria of Sorrow, which is set in 2035 and begins in Japan. And the Katana existed long before there was even such a thing as feudal Europe.
LoS2 introduces mechs and space marines in a modern-day setting and has a plot that utterly reeks of stupidity.

So tell me, what is more ridiculous here?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

anything