Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406525 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Pre-LoS games didn't take themselves 100% seriously, and turned out the better for it. Ironically, when there's a joke in a LoS game, it's very lame and awkward, but when it plays things completely straight it can be unintentionally hilarious (i.e Castlevania City). I really hope that element returns to the series in the next game. Bring on the ninja maids!       

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
The Tsuchinoko only appears in Aria of Sorrow, which is set in 2035 and begins in Japan. And the Katana existed long before there was even such a thing as feudal Europe.
LoS2 introduces mechs and space marines in a modern-day setting and has a plot that utterly reeks of stupidity.
It's not realistic modern day.

And, whatever, we had vaccum cleaner holding demon maids and motorcycle skeletons. I will never EVER bitch about enemy types in Castlevania. They could make me fight a pen with fangs and I won't bat an eye. Castlevania has carte blanche for me in the enemy department.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Pre-LoS games didn't take themselves 100% seriously, and turned out the better for it. Ironically, when there's a joke in a LoS game, it's very lame and awkward, but when it plays things completely straight it can be unintentionally hilarious (i.e Castlevania City). I really hope that element returns to the series in the next game. Bring on the ninja maids!       

I haven't noticed humor in cv 1-4. Which are my favorites.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards

Yeah, but those games weren't actually the pinnacle of grimdark seriousness either. At least, I wouldn't say so about games with enemies called "Mammy Medusa".

You should check the Japanese manual artwork and you'll know what I mean.

Offline GigaDan

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Pre-LoS games didn't take themselves 100% seriously, and turned out the better for it. Ironically, when there's a joke in a LoS game, it's very lame and awkward, but when it plays things completely straight it can be unintentionally hilarious (i.e Castlevania City). I really hope that element returns to the series in the next game.       
Exactly right. Cake is a lie, mario pipe jokes, etc. were all really lame. Nothing in the other castlevania games were as cringeworthy.

Not that you're debating the LoS humor is good. You're just saying you need your video games to be 100% self serious in order to enjoy them. I've honestly never understood people like you and I find the direction your type dragged AAA games into this last gen made plots excruciating.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
CV1 had the moai heads from Gradius as well, plus smaller things like the film reels flanking the title screens for those games.

I guess Castlevania for the X68k was the beginning of out-right goofiness.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

Not looking hard enough. It's subtle, but it's there.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards

And, whatever, we had vaccum cleaner holding demon maids and motorcycle skeletons. I will never EVER bitch about enemy types in Castlevania. They could make me fight a pen with fangs and I won't bat an eye. Castlevania has carte blanche for me in the enemy department.
I realize that. Besides, I never said that I personally minded riot police -- they're fun enemies to battle, and that's all I really care about.

The point is, I found it strange to see some of Castlevania's legitimate Japanese influences dismissed as ridiculous by someone who sees a 'serious' plot in LoS's story arc.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)

https://twitter.com/kiddracul/status/441147665393668097

Alucard DLC will have no fix for the ending, and judging by Cox's reaction, he thinks the ending is fine.

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Yeah, but those games weren't actually the pinnacle of grimdark seriousness either. At least, I wouldn't say so about games with enemies called "Mammy Medusa".

You should check the Japanese manual artwork and you'll know what I mean.
I would like balance not super serious like Lords of Shadow and not super goofy like later Metroidvanias for the next game. Like the older castlevania games.

Also u guys I am current playing South Park Stick of Truth and it's perfect antidote to this game.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I don't luke the idea of a Castlevania made in Japan... again. I don´t like it at all unless its the Julius Belmont game. I really did like the story of LOS (except the end and Victor). It was a serious story. I don't want a game made from japanese guys set in the 1400's Europe with katanas or tsuchinokos. It's ridiculous.
It IS a Japanese series, whether you like it or not. I always concidered it a fact that it was just "on loan" while the European branch made use of the LoS story. Where the IP goes after that's probably up the main hub(which is Japan). If anything, they are within their full right to make another Japanese CV game, regardless of what fans think. Remember, this is also included in the whole "change" thing. What ever happens, you could like it or you can loath it, but regardless, it's a turn that you are helpless to change. 

And I agree with Trevorcard. Balance is key(in everything, even life itself).

Offline kadosho

• Hunter in Training
    • D-toid -Gaming for Robots
    • Awards
Btw the Konami code makes a guest appearance, I won't say where.
But keep an eye out for soldier scrolls later on.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Are we seriously discussing which jokes and silly moments in CV games are better?

Really?

I enjoy my silly shit in older CV games just like I enjoyed the easter eggs in LoS1 like the MGS segment in the refectory or Dracula winking if you put in the Konami code at the "press start" screen. And similarly, the CV2 Simon sprite in LoS 1 when you out the same code in.

3. The modern enemies you fight are basically generic reskinned werewolves with a Resident Evil backstory and you fight them %80 of the time you're there, the other %20 are riot guards and Metal Gears.

I wish, Im in Hard mode, so i no longer see Riot police or metal gears. I see Horned Demons, and the bigger horned demons. or Dark Monks. So all I see are mutants and demons.

Dark Monks are not fun to fight. They move around to much and are annoyingly ranged.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Are we seriously discussing which jokes and silly moments in CV games are better?

Really?

Well, there's not much of a discussion because the answer is pretty obvious.

ZING

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

https://twitter.com/kiddracul/status/441147665393668097

Alucard DLC will have no fix for the ending, and judging by Cox's reaction, he thinks the ending is fine.
Well it's their story.

Kinda weird Dracula won in the end, but, Gabe isn't the kind of Dracula we're used to.