Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406536 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
At least difficulty was never a point of argument in the old series. Metroidvanias were cake walks, and the classicvanias gave you ball blisters.

Oh the old days...

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Castlevania III was the only classic game where you didn't get a checkpoint at Dracula right? Where you actually had to go through the entire last level all over again? For the first Dracula to have three forms.

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
At least difficulty was never a point of argument in the old series. Metroidvanias were cake walks, and the classicvanias gave you ball blisters.

Oh the old days...

That's... what? Difficulty has always been a point of discussion in this series and even flared up with the Metroidvanias. You got the people who think the old games are too hard or just right, those who think that the Metroidvanias are too easy or just right, those who thought CotM was too hard, etc.

Even within those "ball blistering" classic games difficulty is a point of dispute. People complain about whether or not Rondo and CV4 are too easy, whether CV3 and Dracula X SNES are too punishing, why the CV2 bosses are pathetic, and so on.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I think that the difficulty in the first 3 games is derived from the character movement, in wich the jumps, for example, need to be very accurate between platforms. The abscence of checkpoints (like in the new games) add difficult to the games, too.

In all metroidvanias, except CoTM we have a merchant, to who we can buy potions and items. I mean, if there any problems in our equipment or items, we only need to slain some enemies to gain money, so we can buy more potions, armor, weapons, etc. In CoTM we don´t have a merchant, so we can´t buy items or equip, only by defeat enemies.

In other words, I think that modern games (or gaming) we have easiest ways to finish its, being longer than the old ones. A game like Dark Souls its difficult, but we can use items, too. But, as always, its depends in the "experience" of a gamer...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
You know my disappointment with this game seems to remind me of GoW3 and Mass effect 3. Whats up with end of modern game trilogies sucking.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
You know my disappointment with this game seems to remind me of GoW3 and Mass effect 3. Whats up with end of modern game trilogies sucking.

Exactly my thoughs. I think that most games want to be like the Hollywood movies, with cliffhanger endings, vague endings, post credits scenes...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
You know I was thinking someone could mod this game and make it way better. Cut out stealth sections pretty easy to do actually. Cut out most of modern sections also pretty easy to do and  its way way better game. It would still be filled with crap at end but I think game could jump from 6-7 to a 7-8. You could also make it in way you fight victor and he shows you where second acolyte and then disappears. Ok that was random but at least he didn't die like a punk. The thing the whole point of game is Dracula to recover his powers. So Zobek stupid missions that don't really result in anything could be cut down to focus on Dracula dealing with morality and gaining his powers in the castle.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:11:35 PM by Trevorcard »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
You know I was thinking someone could mod this game and make it way better. Cut out stealth sections pretty easy to do actually. Cut out most of modern sections also pretty easy to do and wallah its way way better game. You would still be filled with crap at end but I think game could jump from 6-7 to a 7-8. You could also make it in way you fight victor and he shows you where second acolyte and then disappears. Ok that was random but at least he didn't die like a punk. The thing the whole point of game is Dracula to recover his powers. So Zobek stupid missions that don't really result in anything could be cut down to focus on Dracula dealing with morality and gaining his powers in the castle.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - Fan CUT

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
It shame when a game or movie needs a fan cut but sometimes you realize man there is a lot of stuff in this game too bad it is buried under a lot of crap.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I think this games needs more than just cuts. I think the entire story structure needs to be re-worked.

At its base level, Zobek and Dracula working together temporarily to stop Satans return, that's fine. There being acolytes that Dracula needs to find and kill, that's fine to. There is definitely merit to Draculas castle still existing in a closed off space supported by his will alone and for him to be drawn there to show conflict between "Gabriel", his rage and hatred that calls itself "Dracula" and the vampiric blood that he drank from Laura, which originated from Carmilla.

Which I believe would have been a much better explanation for why Carmilla was in his castle. He drank Lauras blood, but Laura drank Carmillas blood, so a bit of Carmilla will always be with him, but that dumb as shit sub plot with her VS Marie was beyond stupid. I think Carmilla should have just represented his vampire nature, Inner Dracula should have been his hatred and rage, and represented by a dragon, and his human nature, what little is left could have been still represented by Marie and Trevor.

I would have preferred that by the end of the game, he learned to accept all three aspects of himself and decided against attempting suicide and accepted a sort of anti hero role of a force that keeps things like Zobek and Satan from completely destroying humanity, but I would have like for him to raise his castle from beneath the city, and reclaim his throne and decree that all who enter his domain will be considered his prey.

If done right, you could have both a closure for Draculas personal journey and this trilogy and still leave Konami room to work with the character without having such a ridiculous non-ending as the game has currently.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I like that idea. Considering how fucking boned Humanity was, I doubt Dracula raising his castle right in the middle of the city would have hurt any more.

Although there WOULDNT be a city if he did that, considering the entire city takes the place of the huge ass castle.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
It's not a bad idea, but it's hardly material for a satisfying conclusion. If anything, it'd be more of a "bring on the next games" pitch.

And was it just me or had the Dungeon been down for several hours?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
It's not a bad idea, but it's hardly material for a satisfying conclusion. If anything, it'd be more of a "bring on the next games" pitch.

And was it just me or had the Dungeon been down for several hours?

I think it was. I had the same issue.

But I agree, though. That ending is better, but it's ultimately just a compromise to let Konami establish a post-LoS2 timeline...ugh.

I stand by my original suggested ending as being one of the best solutions to this game's narrative problems. Not exactly a "happy" ending, but it's not as abysmally depressing as the "original" ending, and it ties together all of the themes of the trilogy while both resolving Dracula's story and keeping the Belmont lineage alive.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
At this rate, there should be an entirely separate thread for rewriting LoS2.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
I guess Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 patch 1.02 is to prepare the game for the next DLC. But anyone knows if fix any bugs or does something else?...

anything