Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406112 times)

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
b-but satan was "killed" with the vk the first time and he still came back. where did it say zobek can be permanently killed with the void sword?

No he wasn't. He was zapped by a pillar of holy light. He's literally staked with it in the scone game. "You'd be surprised what that can kill."

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Zobek was stabbed with the Void Sword, not the Vampire Killer. Unless he has an RPGish weakness to ice and a resistance to fire, there's no reason to believe him dead (THOUGH MAYBE THAT'S INTENTIONAL)

As for Satan, I don't see how a holy beam of God power is less holy than the Vampire Killer.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Because it's their fictional world and that's how they wrote it. It is what it is whether we think if makes sense or not.

Why can Dracula be killed by doves? Because. That's why.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
and i dont see nothing wrong with saying how illogical it all is & theorizing how it coulda been otherwise, so why are you all like "ITS THEIR STORY STOP DEBATING IT JUST ACCEPT IT BLINDLY"

this is what we do here, ya know

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Because it's their fictional world and that's how they wrote it. It is what it is whether we think if makes sense or not.

Why can Dracula be killed by doves? Because. That's why.

The cop-out of all cop-outs.

It's not Adventure Time. If they're going to create a story to be taken seriously, I'm going to take it seriously. With that comes the stipulation that things need to make sense

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
It's not a cop out at all. Zobek was frozen and shattered, Satan was staked with the Vampire Killer, and they're both dead because the game says so, like it or not.

They can also be brought back in a sequel because "reasons" if wanted to. That's just how it is. I'm not saying you have to like it.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards

It's not Adventure Time. If they're going to create a story to be taken seriously, I'm going to take it seriously. With that comes the stipulation that things need to make sense

Dude, bad example. Have you watched Adventure time?

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
It's not a cop out at all. Zobek was frozen and shattered, Satan was staked with the Vampire Killer, and they're both dead because the game says so, like it or not.

They can also be brought back in a sequel because "reasons" if wanted to. That's just how it is. I'm not saying you have to like it.

The game never said so. That's part of the problem. It implied so, but gave no reasons why the implication should be taken beyond "because I said so". But even if Zobek walked out and said "This weapon is more powerful than God", it would still be bad writing. There's something called suspension of disbelief, and it requires more than absolute submission by the viewer/reader.

And you're right, it is perfectly within MercurySteam's power to write whatever shitty ending they want, but the "because they can" doesn't excuse the writing or the plot holes.

Dude, bad example. Have you watched Adventure time?

Yes? I've watched the whole series. It's a great show. What's your point?

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Yes? I've watched the whole series. It's a great show. What's your point?
Do you not think it makes sense?

I wish they could've at least told us how the fuck zobek survived being lit on fire, i mean... He is Death, he has mastery over dying, makes sense... but then the void sword thing...

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards

I wish they could've at least told us how the fuck zobek survived being lit on fire, i mean... He is Death, he has mastery over dying, makes sense... but then the void sword thing...

In what sense? In the sense that it has a plot that I can follow? Sure, it makes plenty of sense. In the sense that that the hows and whys of the world are well explained? No, it's completely absurd, but that's part of the charm.

As for Zobek, because they said so ;)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards

eggsactly, if he could survive being lit on fire from within, then why cant he survive being shattered to pieces. this was supposed to be the end-all game, give him a spectacular death so that despite him being "lord of the dead," we know he wont come back. i woulda even accepted them trapping his spirit within the Devil Mask and dracula or alucard saying "ill hold onto this from now on," since thats what he used in los1. or maybe his good half in heaven would somehow come back & do something to destroy his evil half. his ultimate defeat was just too basic, but nowhere near as lackluster as satan's

destroying satan forever is a lil more tricky, because how do u obliterate the source of evil? woulda been cool if they had Dracula actually FEED on satan, absorbing his power into himself, leaving satan a withered corpse. then maybe alucard would then stab him with the Crissaegrim again

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Unless it's in their lore entry then your right it's never explicitly stated, but I would say they imply it with extreme prejudice.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
eggsactly, if he could survive being lit on fire from within, then why cant he survive being shattered to pieces. this was supposed to be the end-all game, give him a spectacular death so that despite him being "lord of the dead," we know he wont come back. i woulda even accepted them trapping his spirit within the Devil Mask .
Alvarez actually explained it on twitter. Zobek didn't die because Necromancers can keep theit vital escence in an object (yeah like in Harry Potter) and in Zobek's case it was... the Devil mask. That's why it "survived" the fire and he regenerated from there. So yes, you guessed right. And judging by his smile after his imapalement, he probably did it again.

Everything comes full circle

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Alvarez actually explained it on twitter. Zobek didn't die because Necromancers can keep theit vital escence in an object (yeah like in Harry Potter) and in Zobek's case it was... the Devil mask. That's why it "survived" the fire and he regenerated from there. So yes, you guessed right. And judging by his smile after his imapalement, he probably did it again.
As fucking stupid as that is... Why was that not explained in game?

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I just realized what a fun twist it would be if that Vampire Killer was a fake and Zobek used it as a new object to keep his life force in, or if he managed to use the actual one because of some reason related to Gabriel's corruption and his destruction of it in the first game.

I also wanted Dracula to realize the light that banished satan in the first game was Gabriel ascending to heaven like the other founders of the brotherhood and what was left on earth in the ending was his shadow of rage, guilt, and spite and this amalgamation never knew he was not the real Gabriel.