Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406160 times)

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I just honestly hate that guy. I just do.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I just honestly hate that guy. I just do.
He's not even trying. He probaby already put Castlevania in his mental garbage bin and is now focusing on his Contra or whatever.

Everything comes full circle

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
He's not even trying. He probaby already put Castlevania in his mental garbage bin and is now focusing on his Contra or whatever.

Well, as we've already confirmed, Alvarez doesn't give two licks about Castlevania as a franchise. His game didn't do well, so he's just "Fuck it, whatevs, I'm still employed"

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Not exactly the reply I was hoping for... https://twitter.com/Enric_Alvarez/status/448743937189359616  :-\
Yep.. His aswer was moronic... I can only guess he can assimilate other people memories and experience when he drinks their blood, like the vampires in Underworld...

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
This is what happens when the developers doesn´t have little interest or love for the franchise they worked in.

Oh, I can´t imagine if they are working in a Contra title, with the looks of Clive Barker´s Jericho...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Yep.. His aswer was moronic... I can only guess he can assimilate other people memories and experience when he drinks their blood, like the vampires in Underworld...

He could have just used the Possession ability to acquire the memories, but that would be too creative when compared to that.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Somacula

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
The memories and experience thing makes sense as does the possession. The memories would explain why he understands normal modern tech while possessing the guards and scientists would allow him to know about the approximate location of the cure, what it looks like, and what not. Also, I don't think Drac could have known about all the switches, wires, and retinal scanners if he hadn't possessed one of those guards. It all just makes no sense. Drac should have spent at least some time wondering how to operate devices 500 years past his time.

Offline zaxiou

• Hunter in Training
  • Wrryyyyyy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
There's one thing bugging me all this while, Alucard said "Only my father Gabriel Belmont can destroy Dracula". So, even with VK Dracul can't die can he? Or is it simply a plothole or maybe Alvarez wrote it to sound cool or whatever?

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Remember Zobek's helpful hints at the beginning of the game? I suppose we were spared all of the offscreen dialogue later on.

Zobek: Enter the ele... the box in the wall in front of you. Good. Now press the red button...

Drac: Eh?

Zobek: The glowing red... rune. Yes, that's right. Now stay still as they decontaminate...

Drac: Eh?

Zobek: They summon... mist in the air. Right.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
There's one thing bugging me all this while, Alucard said "Only my father Gabriel Belmont can destroy Dracula". So, even with VK Dracul can't die can he? Or is it simply a plothole or maybe Alvarez wrote it to sound cool or whatever?
I think it was supposed to be a sort of Gabriel vs Dracula thing like they did with Inner Dracula.

The idea that he can only die if he comes to terms with himself. he abandoned his identity. he would have to feel remorse for his actions and basically instead of being the vengeful Dracula, return to being gabriel Belmont.

I think i can sort of understand what they were going for
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards

Sorry guys for my absence, I reached a point where I didn't want any more spoilers, so decided to take a small break from here until I'd finished the game.  I finished it yesterday.  I've been mulling it over, and have watched the Alucard dlc now.  I get what they were going for with the open-endedness of the closing scene, with both Gabriel and Alucard finding peace together, however, what I think let it down was what led up to it, and how certain scenes were handled, especially the last boss fight, which I found frustratingly unsatisfying.  There wasn't enough to it, and I felt that setting it on the Leviathan was a bit shoehorned.  It would have been much more befitting for it to take place in the throne room itself for the start of the fight.  Satan taking the multiple-headed dragon form, and declaring himself the 'true dragon' would have been far more epic, with the final possession of Alucard being a last-ditch effort.  I also didn't feel like there was a proper closure with Marie and young Trevor, Some ambiguity, things left unsaid is fine, but there wasn't enough given to give it the epic, and heart-wrenching ending that it deserved, especially after the scenes with Gabriel declaring that he had already chosen his family, anf then the regaining of his memories of Alucard.  Those scenes were beautifully handled, and it's just such a shame that it wasn't ended properly.  It was too unclear regarding whether Marie and Trevor were manifestations of his mind's humanity, or whether it was actually Marie and Alucard in disguise.

Cox's declaration of Dracula winning and ruling the world also irked me, as I didn't see how he'd defeated 'God' as well as Satan, and it didn't make sense considering that they seemed to want to go down the redemption route, with it emerging that family after all was what was most important to him.  I can definitely see how the ending could have been changed.  (If someone could tell me what Bergaron had said on this, I'm still trying to find that in my catch up of what was missed.)

All in all, there were bits I loved, and bits I disliked.  The whole game felt rather disjointed to me (the modern city in conflict with the castle), combined with some pacing issues.  The castle sections were incredible, with some scenes being very heartfelt and moving.  If only more of the game, preferrably all of it, had taken place there!  I loved Alucard's reimagining, and after watching the video of the dlc, I look forward to getting hold of it.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline NagoriyukiSlayer

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Cox's declaration of Dracula winning and ruling the world also irked me, as I didn't see how he'd defeated 'God' as well as Satan, and it didn't make sense considering that they seemed to want to go down the redemption route, with it emerging that family after all was what was most important to him.  I can definitely see how the ending could have been changed.  (If someone could tell me what Bergaron had said on this, I'm still trying to find that in my catch up of what was missed.)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:59:55 PM by Flak Master »

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
(If someone could tell me what Bergaron had said on this, I'm still trying to find that in my catch up of what was missed.)

I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Personally, I find this original ending to be more interesting than just a sequel hook. (and a weak one, at that)

I dunno. ive heard some say that, but I disagree. That's actually WORSE. You played through the whole game for a BAD END. I'm not a fan of games that give you a bad end. Especially one like THAT. How is that any more satisfying? "Interesting =/= good"
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.