Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406035 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
those nova skeletons in symphony can pack quite a punch if ur not careful tho  :o

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
those nova skeletons in symphony can pack quite a punch if ur not careful tho  :o

Yea but they lack durability.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

Sure, but they have a powerful punch, indeed :o.

As for the blood skeletons, I remember that in Curse of Darkness you can destroy them with the mage Innocent Devil, with one of his spells, insn´t?

Other powerful enemy in my opinion is the Devil in CoTM, near the room where you fight againts Hugh. I have only kill him one time, and then I jump to pass over him.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:50:47 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
I don't think it's an issue of them being stronger than Dracula rather than for story purposes Dracula is just never decides go fight them in the situations that he encounters them and they did a poor job of how from a gameplay perspective each scenario handles you being seen.

They would have been better served auto-reloading a checkpoint as soon as your noticed instead if having to wait while they two shot you to death.

Could have even added Dracula saying. " That's not how that happened " upon reloading the checkpoint for some fourth wall humor.

It could happen the way it does because they might have been built around bring actual enemies you fight and then that was nixed for Alvarezs stealth ideas, so they just upped their damage really high and locked your combat moves to ensure failure on sight.

Either way quibbling about who's stronger story wise from how much damage they deal or take gameplay wise, is rather stupid.

I mean, Maria can defeat Dracula by throwing birds at him.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards

I mean, Maria can defeat Dracula by throwing birds at him.

And I recall that getting a lot of shit as well as the "paper airplane" thing which I'm not disputing.

And the original series was never the epitome of seriousness anyway, not like the LOS series was billed to be which is why those things did not bother me was much as this.

And there is no quibbling going on here, but merely me expressing my disdain towards how stupid it was to have those guards still be able to pwn the player further into the game even after you had some actual Acolyte defeats under your belt.

I actually like your suggestion on how it could have been handled with the player being spotted and the auto reloading checkpoint being used rather than getting wtf pwned by the guards.

Least that way it would have been more logical.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
And I recall that getting a lot of shit as well as the "paper airplane" thing which I'm not disputing.

And the original series was never the epitome of seriousness anyway, not like the LOS series was billed to be which is why those things did not bother me was much as this.

And there is no quibbling going on here, but merely me expressing my disdain towards how stupid it was to have those guards still be able to pwn the player further into the game even after you had some actual Acolyte defeats under your belt.

I actually like your suggestion on how it could have been handled with the player being spotted and the auto reloading checkpoint being used rather than getting wtf pwned by the guards.

I agree. The fact that they are meer flunkies and that you kill Acolytes who are supposedly more powerful than those guards and yet they can kill you in say 3 hits. I can see the forced stealth early on in the game when you have next to no powers, but by the time you beat the first Acolyte and have regained some of your powers, you should be able to fight and kill the guards like any other enemy.

Then again, Dracula never gets any real defense upgrades. Just more life, chaos and void power. That's the one thing that I hate about the LoS saga. But that's beside the point. Forced stealth for a character who is supposed to the "Prince of Darkness" is just poor gameplay. I'll say it again, by the time you defeat the first Acolyte, you should be able to take on the guards.
Behold my power and tremble

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
I agree. The fact that they are meer flunkies and that you kill Acolytes who are supposedly more powerful than those guards and yet they can kill you in say 3 hits. I can see the forced stealth early on in the game when you have next to no powers, but by the time you beat the first Acolyte and have regained some of your powers, you should be able to fight and kill the guards like any other enemy.

Then again, Dracula never gets any real defense upgrades. Just more life, chaos and void power. That's the one thing that I hate about the LoS saga. But that's beside the point. Forced stealth for a character who is supposed to the "Prince of Darkness" is just poor gameplay. I'll say it again, by the time you defeat the first Acolyte, you should be able to take on the guards.

EXACTLY! ;D

Finally someone who understands where I'm coming from with this.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I, personally, don't think stealth should've been mandatory. It should've been handled like you see in some RPGs. You can sneak past the enemies and avoid detection, and are rewarded for it, OR you can go all out and force yourself though, get penalized by taking damage, but nonetheless manage to defeat them regardless.

The earlier stealth part, the damage should be more drastic. But, later on in the game, the power should shift. Those guards should be downgraded to mere enemy status with weaker defenses and attack damage. There's no reason for them to be taking out Dracula so easily, and there's no reason such enemies should pose a threat where stealth is NEEDED. Stealth SHOULDN'T be NEEDED, but should just be an option. 

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards

Maria defeating Dracula is taken quite seriously in context of each game. But yes, they really should have automatically ended those segments upon detection and I believe if they had done that and not left it to where you're getting shot two or three times (with a completely expanded health meter) but can't do anything about it, then a lot of the rage against those segments would have never come to pass.

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
So, Dave tweeted a couple days ago, "More holiday and then...??"

I can only assume it has something to do with Victor.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
So, Dave tweeted a couple days ago, "More holiday and then...??"

I can only assume it has something to do with Victor.
Either MS' new project, or another DLC for LoS2. I hope to get a Victor or a "new section" DLC (with new enemies and bosses) - or even more Kleidos challenges (got 200% in Kleidos, phew).

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Either MS' new project, or another DLC for LoS2. I hope to get a Victor or a "new section" DLC (with new enemies and bosses) - or even more Kleidos challenges (got 200% in Kleidos, phew).

I'm not sure how I would feel about another "Revelations" DLC, meaning that I don't think I would be interested in seeing how Victor came to meet Dracula. (100% sure Mirror of Fate has something to do with it.)

I'm more interested in seeing the past Belmonts that led the Brotherhood while Dracula was dormant.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
I'm more interested in seeing the past Belmonts that led the Brotherhood while Dracula was dormant.
Simon DLC? :) I don't think they would create a whole new character just for a DLC unfortunately.

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Simon DLC? :) I don't think they would create a whole new character just for a DLC unfortunately.

There's just so much space in the Belmont family section that isn't being used up.  :(

Although, it would be cool to see Simon in charge of the Brotherhood, wearing some badass armor even though his beard might be grayer.  :P

Offline Trevelyan

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
I still want more Alucard after Revelations myself. 

Do we have any idea yet just how badly, or not so badly the game sold? 

anything