Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Sequelitis talks about Castlevania & Simon's Quest (possibly old?)  (Read 9294 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Sequelitis talks about Castlevania & Simon's Quest (possibly old?)
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aip2aIt0ROM

This is possibly old, but it raises some valid points that, in my opinion, carry over up to and including the latest Castlevanias.
What do you guys think about the video?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: Sequelitis talks about Castlevania & Simon's Quest (possibly old?)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
I think it's kind off ironic, that at the end when he was comparing the old games with the currents ones and how they evoked different kinds off satisfaction, footage from OoE was shown, which I felt strook a very good balance between the two things he was talking about.       

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:36:32 PM »
I think he may have just used it as stock footage, just like how he used "Generic Simon's Quest Bridge Battle" all the time when he was talking about backtracking.  But yeah I can see that.

The food metaphor is a good one, though.  That is, Junk Food that you can have lots of, versus one good dessert.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Deko21

• Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Vampire Hunter
  • The world is corrupt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
Some of the points he made like the enemies being lifeless i can agree on, since like half of the enemies in simon's quest wern't really that interesting and all had that simple move back and forth pattern while shooting something if they have fireballs or bones.

On a different note, i find it ironic that someone posted this when i just watched that video 3 days ago.
"I may not be able to use the whip, but i can still kick your ass!" -Jonathan Morris

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
The food metaphor is a good one, though.  That is, Junk Food that you can have lots of, versus one good dessert.

Yeah, but it's kind off a subjective thing. For example, if I would go along with the food metaphor I could say, just like with real food, you don't always feel like eating the same thing. What gives you more satisfaction at the time isn't automatically the better choice. Taking the middle ground with OoE was a very good idea.         

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:16:47 PM »
lol at the 4 min mark he explains the major flaws od the igavanias

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
I love that video, It's one of my all time favorites. Actually I saw it a few weeks ago and got me thinking about how I'd fix those problems. I had already decided that further down the line I'm gonna make a CV2 remake along the same lines as CVtDC, but this video really got me thinking about it.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
I think someone posted this vid a couple months back and it basically turned into a old-school (Cv 1-4) vs new (Igavanias) debate, with the Iga-fans complaining about how stiff the controls are in the originals, and the old-timers saying that the Iga-fans were simply unable to appreciate something made before their time.

Personally, I grew up with Cv from it's inception (DUUUUUUNNN!!), and I think Cv2 pretty much sucks.

Liked it when I was a kid though.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »
Meh, I liked Simon's Quest... major flaws everywhere, but it was interesting when it came out. Not so much anymore since there are many games similar to it.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
the Iga-fans complaining about how stiff the controls are in the originals, and the old-timers saying that the Iga-fans were simply unable to appreciate something made before their time.

Wow... The old timers argument is terrible... It enforces the idea of *nostalgia goggles*

"We have a legit complaint that the older games have stiff controls."

"OH YEAH? WELL YOU JUST DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE YOU DIDNT GROW UP WITH IT!!"
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
I agree with some of what he says (especially about CV1 being extremely well thought out) though I think some of the flaws he hits on in CV2 are systematic of Konami trying to create an experience for a different type of audience than CV1. Because Simon's Quest was aimed at more of a home audience, they had to figure out how to extend game life (which they did in rather questionable ways sometime [yes, I'm looking at you grinding]) as a game of Castlevania's length wouldn't have cut it at a $50 price tag.

I think Simon's Quest is a bit of a misunderstood game. It's more of a puzzle/action/adventure game really. Whereas Castlevania is a straight up action game and the puzzle is "where do I stand when this enemy does this" as opposed to "where do I go to find this item." And most of the items in SQ aren't worth getting. I'd daresay it's a much better game if you cut down on the item hunting and just go for Drac's pieces and then storm the castle.

I actually prefer the palette they used in Simon's Quest to the one they used in Castlevania. It's dark, gritty, and reflects the story being told. Simon has found that his wounds incurred from his battle with Dracula seemingly won't heal. He gets a message from a mysterious woman that tells him that even though he won the fight, he still didn't really win, and as such, he has to traipse all over the countryside collecting the pieces of Dracula and do it all again, and if he doesn't do it in time, he's gonna die. I'd say that's a story worthy of a dark palette myself.

I dunno. I love Simon's Quest, but it's such a different game than Castlevania that I never really compared them.

Wow... The old timers argument is terrible... It enforces the idea of *nostalgia goggles*

"We have a legit complaint that the older games have stiff controls."

"OH YEAH? WELL YOU JUST DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE YOU DIDNT GROW UP WITH IT!!"

The controls fit the game. I'd argue that the controls in a lot of the IGavanias are too loose. I bump a direction just the slightest bit and my character falls somewhere or doesn't jump the way I'd like him to. I almost prefer my control schemes with just a little bit of give. It's all preference really.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 02:00:18 AM »
Egoraptor hmm.... I wonder when he will do a lemon n' bill episode with Simon.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »
I love that video, It's one of my all time favorites. Actually I saw it a few weeks ago and got me thinking about how I'd fix those problems. I had already decided that further down the line I'm gonna make a CV2 remake along the same lines as CVtDC, but this video really got me thinking about it.

Got three suggestions for you. 1 CursEd editor, 2 Simon's Quest Redacted and C for Castlevania more variety of recurring enemies.
I.E. more than one type of zombie, fish man and spiders. Knights, bats, ghosts, skeledragons/pillars of bones and skeletons all have more than one type in the game. Oh another thing put some traps over water. There are no bone pillars in the mansions. Those are a few ideas. Other than that Egoraptor and AVGN have pretty much pointed out all the epic... no the saga of fail in this game.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 12:05:10 PM »
I loved this vid.. and the humor and I love Simon's Quest too

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »
I think the metroidvanias are best fit compaired to a bag of chips how you mindlessly dig in because they are addicting by nature, but in the end you wasting most of your time.

As the classicvanias you remember every little bit because it forces you to sit down and think a strategy, in the end enjoy the game as a whole like a high class desert (like the vid)

In the end, metroidvanias have memorable parts as opposed at the classics making the whole game memorable.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles