Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Double Fine invites Koji Igarashi to play and discuss Castlevania: SotN  (Read 11713 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
There were some nice revelations about cut content in there like the skeleton who relights the candles and Alucard's room being cut, although basically that concept ended up in HoD. But they should've asked about what was originally intended to be below the slab at the very entrance to the castle (whether it was originally intended to be an underground garden like the people who worked on the Saturn port put in or whether it was going to be something else) and about how the cut secret ending where Maria transforms would've fit in.

Also, IGA's style of playing the game was really interesting to see. He uses the fighting game style button combos and shield a lot more than probably most players do.

Only hardcore Castlevania fans know about those things. Most casual fans don't care. Unless someone here gets a chance to interview IGA.

It seems that IGA is more of a defensive player. Hahaha. Whenever I play SotN, I spam the fighting buttons while standing at the side. I don't use the shield much though...

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
This video was a real treat. I wish they would do playthroughs with him of all his games. It's a a good opportunity for him to elaborate on the finer details of the game. Also interesting that Yamane's sister provided the vocals for Prayer. I also wonder which artist IGA picked besides Kojima as a possible candidate.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
This video was a real treat. I wish they would do playthroughs with him of all his games. It's a a good opportunity for him to elaborate on the finer details of the game. Also interesting that Yamane's sister provided the vocals for Prayer. I also wonder which artist IGA picked besides Kojima as a possible candidate.

I knew about Yamane's sister providing the vocals for that song. Oh right, the OST's liner notes specifically mention Yamane's sister's name. The surname for the composer and the vocal is the same. But I'm sure there is also some other written thing that mentions this.
Found it: from 1up's interview on Yamane
1UP:  What sort of experience was it inviting your sister Kahori to participate as a vocalist?

You've done your research. (laughs) She sang on "Prayer" and "Enchanted Banquet" for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. She was studying at university at the time.  We recorded those vocals in a humble little makeshift recording studio set up at the office. Of course neither of us had any idea that these modest recordings would still be listened to years later by people all over the world. This was at the beginning of my work on the Castlevania series.

The other artist we would never know for sure....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:49:12 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Only hardcore Castlevania fans know about those things. Most casual fans don't care. Unless someone here gets a chance to interview IGA.

It seems that IGA is more of a defensive player. Hahaha. Whenever I play SotN, I spam the fighting buttons while standing at the side. I don't use the shield much though...

Well the thing is, I kind of doubt a casual fan of CV or SotN would sit through a 2 hour and 20ish minute video discussing the game and its quirks, especially given the gameplay they show off isn't high level like a speed run or the like. Generally the audience of content like this would seem to be people who are really fascinated by the series or at least SotN itself and who want some hidden knowledge of the game's development that IGA can offer. A decent amount of the questions went in that direction.

Offline Sir Nicko

• Formerly Soma Cruz
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
I came here to share this video, only to discover that Im 1 day late LOL
Thanks for doing this Sir Nicko and welcome to the dungeon since its our first meeting. I'll watch it later.

Thanks Lelygax! Sorry I haven't been part of the discussion.. Been busy this weekend visiting wedding venues.

I was actually an old member back in the day under the handle "Soma Cruz", but was later deleted due to inactivity... I would get excited and start threads when the GBA/ds games were announced/new info shown. Really glad to be back, and hopefully we will be able yo discuss exciting new 'vania news!

On a cool side note from the video: I recognized the name of Alucard's original voice actor, and looked him up. Crazy thing, he actually lived in the small town I grew up in, and performed in our performing arts center! Crazy small world!

Was really awesome watching the video I thought, despite the janky translation/discussion methods. Was really cool hearing IGA actually speak about his memories.

Cheers all and thanks!

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
Man, you lived in the same town as Alucard's old VA? That's really cool :D I wonder what he's been up to nowadays.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
perhaps this topic should be stickied, a very informative historical discussion relating to SOTN and things people didn't know about without official source.

Offline Sir Nicko

• Formerly Soma Cruz
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Man, you lived in the same town as Alucard's old VA? That's really cool :D I wonder what he's been up to nowadays.

Yea! He used to live in my old town Santa Maria, CA, and would play at the college performing arts center there all the time.

Apparently he lives in Berkeley, CA now, and plays a lot of indian, R&B, jazz, and Latin music. Funny, I live real close to Berkeley now as well.

I remember his super deep voice, and now knowing he was actually ALUCARD blows my mind! Totally neat.

I hope someone breaks this whole thing down and analyzes every detail. So much good history!

-Nicko

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Apparently he lives in Berkeley, CA now, and plays a lot of indian, R&B, jazz, and Latin music. Funny, I live real close to Berkeley now as well.

In-topic: I've watched the entire thing and it was a pretty awesome trip to the past. These secrets like insects on the trees and being able to push ghosts with your shield are things that I've never noticed, also it is a fun story to hear how this item below the Librarian had appeared there.

They should've tried to not commit grammatical errors, like IGA own name and another things, but the end with him putting off the candle like as if he was going on and letting the past behind, was very emotional and priceless.

I don't know much about IGA, but it was cool to know more about him.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:35:05 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
-"Cube of Zoe" was called something like "Cue of Materialization" or something in Japanese, the US translator added the "Zoe".

Yeah, Jeremy Blaustein added that in, it's his daughter's name. I believe he had fun with naming some of the enemies after Lord of the Rings creatures. He also took a lot of liberties- for the better - with MGS1's script as well, which is why the Twin Snakes' more faithful script is boring as hell.

-Alucard was going to have his own room. There would be a skeleton carpenter in the room who would build it up, and you could build the room a la "Aria of Sorrow".

Er, Harmony of Dissonance...

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Just a note to add to that list for anyone reading it instead of watching the video. IGA pointed out the exact room that would've been Alucard's room: the save room at the top of the Outer Wall. He didn't really say if there still would've been a save in that location or not, probably not.

anything