Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anime & Manga Discussion Thread  (Read 24265 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2013, 12:35:14 AM »
@TheouAegis: It's OK, everyone has their own personal lists  :)

I became increasingly more an anime fan when I grew up. As a teenager I used to watch entire series and read mangas, already a lot (for what's common, I mean), but when I finished high school was the time when I totally falled into that, and I could spend entire weeks watching anime.
Maybe that's why I like newer stuff more than older, which I still like and re-watch from time to time, anyway (I re-watched Sailor Moon 2 years ago, for example).

And it's true that many anime tend to get boring after a good start (Full Metal has a lot of fill episodes, for example).
But many of my favourite anime series (if not all) are series of 13 or 26 episodes.

The only longer one I can think of is Clannad (I knew I would forget about one when earlier I made the other list!). 52 episodes in 2 seasons and 1 movie, it's the longest that made it to my current personal top anime list.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2013, 02:20:21 AM »
If I consider the amount of swag I got as a gauge on how much I love a particular anime/manga....
Number 1 would be Gundam Seed
(I have a love-hate relationship with Destiny, but I also have a lot of swag for that sequel as well)
Kuroshitsuji
Senkaiden Houshin Engi
RG Veda
Trinity Blood
X

When I go to Japan again, I'm gonna buy me lots of UtaPri swag!  :D

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2013, 02:46:35 AM »
X? Like our X from the forum? I dont even knew that I was a celebrity friend lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2013, 02:51:16 AM »
CLAMP's flagship discontinued X manga.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_(manga)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »
Anyone remember ronin warriors?

Yeah I think we all have simliar taste I never really got into sailor moon(I did watch it sometimes) though but I did have a crush on mars and some one else take a wild guess who it is  :P

Also to sum up my young anime watching days toonami was my drug so dragonball(Z), rurouni kenshin, gundam wing, and others like yu-gi-oh and one of my first anime crushes was Cardcaptor Sakura what can I say. I guess even from a young age I liked girls with short/medium hair with green eyes.  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2013, 08:04:44 PM »
That's one thing that annoys me about Cartoon Network but also what makes it easy to discredit lists. I can look up Top 10 or Top 20 or Top 50 anime lists and 99% of them contain Toonami/Adult Swim stuff.

Really? So you decided to write up a top 10 list and your only source material is a time slot that showed 20 or so anime? Get off the internet.

Reviewers need to cut the mainstream crap and actually get out and look for anime. There's a lot of crap out there from the 80s and 90s. There are also the old old old anime where everything's blocky and there are no in-betweens (Speed Racer, Kimba, GeGeGe no Kitarou G1). The really deep or moving anime rarely make it on the lists. Typically it's just stuff that someone's friend nerdgasmed over, like Ninja Scroll for example. Good movie? Of course it is! Great movie? Not really... 

Hikaru No Go: On maybe 0.2% of anime lists out there. Excellent show based on a manga based on a board game that went on for many seasons, each of which I have watched. It actually had/has a fan following, yet it pretty much never makes a top anime list. Why? Because it's about a board game instead of ninjas and boobs.

Nekojiru and Astrofighter Sunred: Saw these on the same list. The guy's list literally blew my mind. Great animation? Almost no animation at all! But two of the funniest shows I'd ever watched.

Grave of the Fireflies: This makes a lot of lists, but still not enough. Is it a great anime? Not particularly. Is it a must-see? Seeing as how it's 100x better than the live-action version of it, yes. It's old. It's by Studio Ghibli. And it makes grown men cry.

Makoto Shinkai's films: He's gaining popularity slowly, but his early works are superior to most of the stuff Toonami/Adult Swim airs.

Little Nemo: No, this isn't an American cartoon, it's anime. It's childish, but the animation quality is superb even by today's standards. Oh wait, we don't have standards today.

GeGeGe no Kitaro and Hakaba Kitaro: Certain countries have had these series translated and even aired on TV. 90% of Americans have never even heard of them, while about the same percentage of Japanese have. Great animation? No. Great storytelling? Yup, at least G2 and G3.

I'll try to be fair. I mean, 90% of my favorite anime have been between 1985 and 2005 because, well, I stopped watching anime as much after college due to work and having no internet at home for a while -- mostly work, though. I do look up the movies that come out and some post-2k5 series do make it into my faves list for a time. It was hard to find fansubs that interested me and that were available online. Most anime I watched was on VHS. Eventually digital fansubbing became popular and more options were opened to me, but after college and with slow downloads, it was hard to hyperload on fansubs. I had no TV at home, but everything I could have watched on CN in the years after college I'd already seen on VHS without crappy voice acting. The stuff I had easy access to in those years that I moved out of my parents' house and got internet were dominated by shoujo and yaoi fansubs, or subs of mecha anime that I never really had interest in. Every so often I'd find one that actually piqued my interest past episode 1, but without my anime club I couldn't get back into it as much as I had been in college. The only anime club I could find near me was for high schoolers... "Yeah, officer, I swear I'm just trying to watch anime, not stalk underage girls!" Right now, Wikipedia is my friend; I search award winners and then download those. Or Anime Encyclopedia, sometimes, which was how I found out about Haibane Renmei. Every once in a blue moon YouTube actually suggests something worthwhile, too. But for the most part, the new stuff doesn't pique my interests because, well, I guess because no one else is watching them with me.  Well, that's not entirely true. My brother is obsessed with anime for some reason, but most of the stuff he watches is harem anime crap. Since he doesn't know English that well and is just homeschooled by my mom, he thinks good anime is boring.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:06:18 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2013, 08:11:52 PM »
I've only said some part of my life, so I've yet to post about another animes that I watched. But Toonami were cool and a lot of people that watched anime in it maybe not even know that this was anime (ok, not at this age with internet and all, but at the time).

Remember that we are not reviewers, so dont lame us of this stupid behaviour please. Its okay to share your frustration with us, I also think that these serious review sites should gather a lot of animes to do it right or else it becomes a personal list, not a list to be relied on if you dont know this guy.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »
http://www.japantoday.com/category/opinions/view/the-freefall-of-japan%E2%80%99s-anime-industry This is from 3 years ago, I wonder how much of it still applies today? If it's true it might explain why a lot of non-Otakus like myself see a lot of modern anime as too repetitive.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2013, 09:53:08 PM »
The way I see it, personal lists are the only thing that exist, and opinions are the only thing.
Reviews are just opinions. Objectivity is just following what the majority has established as "the truth".
Objective rankings are just glorified personal lists. Awards are just glorified opinions. Critics are people with glorified opinions.
And rankings based on personal opinions like IMDB rankings are just the sum of personal lists and opinions, so it's a big personal list.
And so on...
A review from an awarded and recognized critic or the IMDB ranking, or all that stuff, doesn't have more value than my opinion or my personal rankings, your opinion and rankings, his or hers.
Opinions and personal tastes. That's all there is.
The rest is a lie.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
This part bothers me:

The focus has led to a plunge in profits for anime studios and has made new anime series ridiculously difficult to understand unless religiously followed.

Because it shows that the reviewer want things that are so easy to understand that you can start from episode 15 and understand it for example. This type of thing shows that he is immature and/or "dumb"?

I know its old, but even so. At this time they did anime with simple story and still do it, if he wants every anime to be easy to understand without being "religiously followed" then he contradicts himself, since he wants more of the same.

Apart of that I agree with this article in some points.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »
How popular is this around the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Fang

It's the first anime I watched. Pretty violent, but to censors at the time, a cartoon was a cartoon.  So it was marketed for children. The 21 episodes had the worst violence (which is a lot) removed and stuffed into four VHS tapes. It was hugely popular here.

Later those who loved it and grew up, "discovered" the version sold was cut like a deer carcass. A petition was made and eventually the episodes were released untouched, with original voices and subbed. I think it's largely due to GNG's popularity that they released its spin-off's, sequels and mangas here.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 12:03:44 AM »
Never heard of it. Looks interesting though.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 09:13:54 AM »
I've seem a guy searching for it subbed in a famous brazilian site focused in news and telling everytime a fansub launches something (AnimeBlade). It seems that no one subbed it here, so yeah, no one in Brazil that doesnt know english must have seen this anime.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 10:13:11 AM »
X? Like our X from the forum? I dont even knew that I was a celebrity friend lol

Trust me Lelygax, I'm not that popular nor do I ever intend to be. I always feel more at home in the shadows rather then the limb light. Christ, now I'm sounding like a vampire  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
Trust me Lelygax, I'm not that popular nor do I ever intend to be. I always feel more at home in the shadows rather then the limb light. Christ, now I'm sounding like a vampire  :P

Haha humble as ever, first you launch you secret files on a TV show called X-Files and now this manga.  Very humble xD

j/k
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~