Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: For all of you that have Vista, or are thinking of getting it  (Read 12131 times)

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
Re: For all of you that have Vista, or are thinking of getting it
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:36:01 PM »
I really need to show this to a friend of mine. She wants to get a laptop and is willing to go with Vista cuz she wants to play a few PC games, even though she prefers OSX's layout much better. Maybe this'll make her see that Vista really does suck.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 07:38:42 PM »
In Reply To #1

QFT!!!! I betad the RC2 of Vista and knew it was pure evil as soon as I looked passed the pretty aero theme. All it succeeds at is lookin pretty everything else is shit. Id break my own back tryin to suck my own cock before Id put it on any computer I own or build for anyone else.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 09:06:27 PM »
Awesome..... deleting things without consent... just awesome.. I guess I'll end up with linux sooner or later andneve with Vista like I orriginally planned if it ever gets a good amount of updates.

Lets see if Microsoft contests this in anyway. Doubt it....

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:14:24 PM »
In Reply To #1

Just great...I just got my computer less than one month ago, and indeed it has Vista on it.  >:(
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:48:29 PM »
Quote from: Aridale
Id break my own back tryin to suck my own cock before Id put it on any computer I own or build for anyone else.
:o???????

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 10:10:11 PM »
In Reply To #6

That is to say Id rather die in an extremely embarrassing way than have someone point at my monitor say "oh hey you got vista!"

anyway. This has piqued my interest in free operating systems. I know theres a few namely linux and its ilk but Im lookin for somethin thats like a free open source windows clone and all the programs and compatibility such an os would entail.

Needless to say googling without any actual names of such OSs is futile. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline ringo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 01:37:32 AM »
Wow, that site is a total joke.
There are some reasons not to use Vista, but these aren't any of them. It's pretty funny seeing them say that "when you legally buy Vista, you don't own it." considering that applies to ANY software, not just Vista. Even console games.

The throw the DRM word around due to the negative connotations associated with it, but they make no connection to Vista whatsoever. You pirates need not worry, you can continue your looting in Vista.

If you guys hadn't noticed, this site is written by open source zealots. They want you to sign a statement supporting a society based on free open source software for crying out loud! There are no real facts in that website at all.

In reality, compared to XP there is nothing wrong with Vista aside from a lack of drivers for older hardware and it being a little more demanding under the hood(which is to be expected, just like from 2000->XP). Personally I use XP and OS X, but if I bought a new computer with Vista already installed I wouldn't care.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:40:01 AM by ringo »

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 05:29:39 AM »
In Reply To #8

I'm still sticking to XP and OS X for the next few years. XP supposedly won't be considered absolutely obsolete until 2011 (most updates will halt in '08-'09 though).

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 06:56:28 AM »
In Reply To #8

the leasing thing never bothered me, but that whole, deleting things if the OS consider it something it might be kind irks me. Frcing install is bad too, as if XP didn't do that already with the SPs.

Offline efin

• Hunter in Training
    • Castlevania Homebrew Images
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 09:45:52 AM »
Um, guys... listen to Ringo. He's hit it dead on. I've had Vista since launch and not one of these conspiracies has affected me (except the licensing, which is true of any software you purchase). Even Bill Gates said DRM isn't a good idea, and he wishes companies would throw it out the window, but many of them don't want to quite yet. We're getting there, though. Notice how in iTunes you can sometimes spend a wee bit more to get downloads without DRM - that's because the companies who own the rights to that are getting more comfortable with downloaded media and people's willingness to pay for it.

As for Defender deleting programs it decides are spyware, well isn't that what you tell any spyware protection program to do??? And for crying out loud, you can turn it off if you don't like it.

LBPHeretic

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
I have no intentions on "upgrading" to Windows Vista any time soon. Windows XP runs perfectly well for me and I enjoy the fact that I won't have DRM issues, driver compatibility problems, or a RAM hogging OS ruining my day (every day). :'(

I've read many reports of people "downgrading" back to Windows XP because they'd had enough of Windows Vista's "issues" and just couldn't take it anymore. That's all the reassurance I need to know that I'm making the right choice in staying with what I have currently. ;D

Offline efin

• Hunter in Training
    • Castlevania Homebrew Images
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 04:55:41 AM »
In Reply To #12

You should see some of the paranoia that "causes" some of these issues. It's funny how PC people used to be all about solving issues and problems, while now they just want to run away back to the safe haven of XP. I dunno, maybe this was just as common back when XP came out. Except that people had gone through the mess that Me made (which Vista has absolutely nothing similar to).

Also, the RAM hogging isn't really accurate. It's the super fetch guessing what you're going to do. It throws extra stuff into memory so it starts up faster, but if you run something else that needs that memory it drops it out pretty quickly. Sure, Vista uses a little more memory - especially with the extra features like Aero that you can turn off - but it's really not that big of a difference.

Offline Think Tank

• usually posts while intoxicated
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »
I don't want to get Vista simply because I like XP and it hasn't restricted anything I've done so far. By "restrict" I'm not talking about DRM, I simply mean there hasn't been a program that I haven't been able to run that I use in my daily life. I could care less about PC games anyway, but the few I have work great, which really has nothing to with the OS I'm using.

I just like XP and I don't see any reason to "upgrade" it. Do that many people use Vista anyway? I work in a computer field with computer people and no one here uses it, nor does anyone I know.

LBPHeretic

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
I don't want to get Vista simply because I like XP and it hasn't restricted anything I've done so far. By "restrict" I'm not talking about DRM, I simply mean there hasn't been a program that I haven't been able to run that I use in my daily life. I could care less about PC games anyway, but the few I have work great, which really has nothing to with the OS I'm using.

I just like XP and I don't see any reason to "upgrade" it. Do that many people use Vista anyway? I work in a computer field with computer people and no one here uses it, nor does anyone I know.

I couldn't agree with your more. Basically, that's what I was saying before. I'm happy with Windows XP and there's nothing in that particular operating system that prevents me from running the software (and games) that I want to run. I also happen to dislike the other limitations that I mentioned in my previous post(DRM, resource hogging, etc...) that come as a penalty for "upgrading" to Windows Vista. ::)

I too work in the computer field (software programmer) for a rather large corporation. Nobody that works at my company is issued a computer that is preinstalled with Windows Vista. I guess my company noticed the issues of "upgrading" as well. That makes sense to me. ;)

Tags: