Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Things to add to the forum  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »
There's a "Save as Draft" button, dood—next to Reply, Preview, and Spell Check.

There's also clipboard for copy-and-pasting. ;)
^This.
However, "Save as Draft" doesn't show up on the "Quick Reply" box.  You have to click on the reply button first and go to the full Reply section (the one with all the buttons that let you change the formatting, layout, etc.).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 04:10:49 PM »
Damn Jorge! That cat is hilarous! He's like..oh no for real! lmao!

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »
This is a thread about things they should add to the forum, such as post options, THREAD OPTIONS(ahem), personalizing, etc.
And I'll kick it off with...

- You should be able to ban people from a public thread
- Making private threads
- And being able to add a custom theme to a certain thread.

No, all that will do is stir shit where it's not needed. We do the banning as mods as needed, that's what the report post button is for.

Private threads aren't needed, all that could do is lead to trouble, especially if one gets out of hand or is flaming someone and the person flaming doesn't want the person they are shit talking about to see it.

#3 could be a possibility, but that's not my expertise.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
Custom themes might be nice if implemented efficiently...and reddit isn't the best forum. The Dungeon's actually my favorite layout at present; though, the new changes ACE is rigging up over on Inc. are looking very promising so far.

Public thread bans only serve to give mod power to anyone and everyone, which never ends well. Otherwise we'd have the Dungeon equivalent of Inc's infamous Discord incident a few years back (God, that was a fun afternoon).

And private threads are really only good if the contents are deliberately needing to be kept from public eye. Serio's board uses it to keep in-progress sprite and other works away from thieving hands. Other than that, it just sets up shop for forum elitism to grow like a cancer; and that's what killed Old Inc. I'd kind of like to see this place not die horribly.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 05:02:23 PM »
Custom themes might be nice if implemented efficiently...and reddit isn't the best forum. The Dungeon's actually my favorite layout at present; though, the new changes ACE is rigging up over on Inc. are looking very promising so far.

Public thread bans only serve to give mod power to anyone and everyone, which never ends well. Otherwise we'd have the Dungeon equivalent of Inc's infamous Discord incident a few years back (God, that was a fun afternoon).

And private threads are really only good if the contents are deliberately needing to be kept from public eye. Serio's board uses it to keep in-progress sprite and other works away from thieving hands. Other than that, it just sets up shop for forum elitism to grow like a cancer; and that's what killed Old Inc. I'd kind of like to see this place not die horribly.

Power struggles will kill a forum in 3 days max, I've been through that 2 time already with a friend's forum

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »
If you want to install a custom theme, you can download a theme template from simplemachines.com and submit the theme to me.
If I approve it it can join a list of pre-existing themes (yeah we actually have more than this retro-CVForum one but I don't think the other one is nearly as developed).

However, having a theme per thread...?  I think a modification would have to be implemented so that as you post a new thread you can pick the theme for it.  It may cause some overhead.  I'm not making any promises on this as I don't know whether it is possible, but I can look into it.

Still waiting on other responses from other members before I say my opinion.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »
well, how about a few more "message icons" for threads? last 1 that was added was the Sacred Fist.. we still dont have a bat, medusa head, Bible, etc. those should be simple to implement

i may be wrong but i recall over a decade ago in one of the earlier iterations of this place, a private sub-forum that was only for Mod discussion that no other member had access to. is this accurate? if so, what was being discussed behind closed doors?! spill the beans bro

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 09:12:37 PM »
I didn't make the MedusaHead/etc. icons because they're bigger than the standard size (I think the large torch is the largest post icon we use).
However, the larger reason is because of the default avatar packs I created.  THOSE have the Medusa, Mummies, etc.
You're welcome to submit both new 'default avatar' icons, as well as 'post icons', similarly to how we had submissions for Forum Awards, many of which were indeed implemented later on.

As for the Mod discussion... You peasants will never know. :P :P :P :P ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 12:53:06 AM »
What about using the Medusa heads from CV's I & II? They should be just the right size.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 12:53:07 AM »
And even that's done for after someone mentioned it and then a certain someone managed to compromise the place.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
Yeah, I guess the private thrread thing would be a waste of time. But there should be a report button , and once somebody is reported, they shouldn't be allowed to post on the thread they were reported from until a mod looks into it.

Also, I'm gonna make a theme right away!
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 09:23:49 PM »
An idea: Maybe special emoticons for users? We all know :) :( :D ;) and so on, and so forth, but maybe we could add in special Castlevania themed emoticons for paying users. Like maybe :bat: for a little smily that turns into a bat a la dracula, :medusa: for a floating medusa head smily, etc.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 09:49:04 AM »
I think we could use a lot more emoticons then what we currently have. It's just too limited right now and you can only use the current one so much before realizing this limitation. I can't recall all the times that I wanted to add an emoticon to help express what I've been saying and not seeing the right one in the list. We need more variety.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
I can't find simplemachines.com. Could you give me a direct link?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags: