Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Portrait of Ruin and Nazis  (Read 25999 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
Excuse me but can u tell me what that means?

It means that "lol I wanna put Yu-Gi-Oh God Card characters into a game that has nothing in common with Yu-Gi-Oh besides an Egyptian setting because I don't like what exists there currently and shoehorning in deific characters from a completely different series and time period is obviously a fantastic idea and wouldn't cause any sort of continuity or plot-quality issues whatsoever" is the kind of idea an eleven-year-old fanboy of a TCG series comes up with because he thinks his card games are the greatest thing ever conceived and tries to insert them into anything else regardless of whether it even makes sense or not.

Oh, and just for the record--an ancient Egyptian-esque setting doesn't mean fucking Yu-Gi-Oh characters are "better." You do realize that they made a solid 90% of that shit up for the series, right? Slifer's a six-hundred-degrees-of-separated reference to Osiris and named after a 4Kids employee, Obelisk is a generic anime spikey buff dude named after a pointed monolith, and Ra is a barely-accurate representation of said god's ba, which was essentially a phoenix--ain't shit related to the actual deity that has anything to do with dragons as most of the world represents them.

Meanwhile, Astarte is the Hellenized name for Ishtar, a deity directly associated with sexuality and war, and who also was worshiped throughout Egypt once the Levantines showed up there.

Wonder which of the two has more genuine ties to ancient Egyptian cultures, the actual goddess from actual sects being represented as a highly attractive female warrior who clearly uses her sexuality to charm the male character, or the big OP god-monsters who stand as distant bastardized references to actual elements of that same culture? Hmmmmm, such a tough call, that.

That's what Weapon means by that--it's an idea rather clearly based out of personal preferences and seeming fanboyism rather than actual attempts to reference actual mythology as the series has always done.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:09:13 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
I don't see Brauner as the leader of the Thule society as we already know who that is; Rudolf von Sebottendorff, but I can definitely see Brauner as being one of the more prominent members. Hitler himself eventually becomes the leader of the Thule society by the other representatives, and he transforms them into what we now know as the Nazi party. I like your idea however. PoR doesn't change much, but there is a greater connection to the WWII elements.

Yeah that's why i wrote "A leader" instead of "THE leader"

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
(thus the war reaching it's height) and making portals between the Castle and target locations to directly send them. The rest would be pretty much the same, the only thing i'm not sure how to add is the portrait/artist thing in Brauner bossfight (but it could be that he's also an artists and ordered the art thefts)

Hitler was also an artist, but he didn't paint with blooooOOOoood!!!

One of the Nazi's is able to read certain runes or give you some kind of solutions for puzzles you couldn't get past otherwise.

Just no.. First of all, we all saw how Puzzle of Fate (Trevorcard's campaign in MoF) as well as the original LOS1 was hampered by puzzles. Puzzles don't belong in Castlevania, Castlevania is about platforming, action, combat and pacing. Some simple but effective puzzles that are built into the gameplay mechanics can work, such as the
(click to show/hide)
or the mechanical gears in SOTN's clocktower, but that's it.

Secondly, no one should take advice from Grif, the unusually helpful and friendly Nazi. That's gaming promoting bad behaviour through gaming.

What would have been cool is if there were some Nazi soldiers as enemies in the main Castle hub, between the portraits (rather than Skeleton archers and the like), and I don't see why there wouldn't have been, as POR actually created a fair few sprites such as Zombies and Ghouls. The presence of the soldiers may have also explained why there are undead Zombie Soldiers in AoS, which would have been a nice tie in.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
Yeah that's why i wrote "A leader" instead of "THE leader"

My bad  ;D

Hitler was also an artist, but he didn't paint with blooooOOOoood!!!

Maybe not that we currently know of  :-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 06:11:53 PM »
Secondly, no one should take advice from Grif, the unusually helpful and friendly Nazi. That's gaming promoting bad behaviour through gaming.
I never said he was helpful and friendly.  he's one of the guys holding you at gunpoint in a haunted castle.  It's just that he could actually be some expert in the field of paranormal research and is only telling yu this so you can complete the objectives for him. 

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
  • Bloodstained : Delay of the Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »
It means that "lol I wanna put Yu-Gi-Oh God Card characters into a game that has nothing in common with Yu-Gi-Oh besides an Egyptian setting because I don't like what exists there currently and shoehorning in deific characters from a completely different series and time period is obviously a fantastic idea and wouldn't cause any sort of continuity or plot-quality issues whatsoever" is the kind of idea an eleven-year-old fanboy of a TCG series comes up with because he thinks his card games are the greatest thing ever conceived and tries to insert them into anything else regardless of whether it even makes sense or not.

Oh, and just for the record--an ancient Egyptian-esque setting doesn't mean fucking Yu-Gi-Oh characters are "better." You do realize that they made a solid 90% of that shit up for the series, right? Slifer's a six-hundred-degrees-of-separated reference to Osiris and named after a 4Kids employee, Obelisk is a generic anime spikey buff dude named after a pointed monolith, and Ra is a barely-accurate representation of said god's ba, which was essentially a phoenix--ain't shit related to the actual deity that has anything to do with dragons as most of the world represents them.

Meanwhile, Astarte is the Hellenized name for Ishtar, a deity directly associated with sexuality and war, and who also was worshiped throughout Egypt once the Levantines showed up there.

Wonder which of the two has more genuine ties to ancient Egyptian cultures, the actual goddess from actual sects being represented as a highly attractive female warrior who clearly uses her sexuality to charm the male character, or the big OP god-monsters who stand as distant bastardized references to actual elements of that same culture? Hmmmmm, such a tough call, that.

That's what Weapon means by that--it's an idea rather clearly based out of personal preferences and seeming fanboyism rather than actual attempts to reference actual mythology as the series has always done.

All right, get this, but I would prefer Castlevania over Yugioh. So don't call me a Yugioh fanboy. It's one of my minor hobbies. Castlevania would be one of my major hobby.

First of all, 4kids ver is shitty butchered version like SNES Rondo. You really should see original JP version to say anything. Also, I only want to change the Sandy grave boss because Astarte is one of most shittiest Castlevania boss, not because I wan't to squeeze Yugioh into this. I would leave others out. Also, Sandy Grave boss has nothing to do with plot of the game and I would put this as a crossover of two series rather then squishing this into the plot line. Astarte would be nice for a random mediocre anime game, but not CASTLEVANIA!

Also, Castlevania doesn't need to be that accurate with history (like Charlotte's kind of miniskirts weren't invented till 50s and it would be a better idea to wear loose pants), also, bad-ass looking powerful god monsters are more suitable for a "boss" then a... sorry, but
(click to show/hide)
I think bit of creative looseness would be allowed to make this whole lot better. Also, Konami has rights for both, so there wouldn't be a problem. Also, if this doesn't work, they could use some other powerful-looking (actual) Egyptian gods like Sun god Ra, Death god Osiris or Guardian Deity Horus, anything but a fxcking Sex god Astarte!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:31:04 PM by superc4 »

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »
+1
I saw that coming Dracula9. See why i didnt bother replying now? Leave the cattle talking alone

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 11:21:32 PM »
I never said he was helpful and friendly.  he's one of the guys holding you at gunpoint in a haunted castle.  It's just that he could actually be some expert in the field of paranormal research and is only telling yu this so you can complete the objectives for him.

It still doesn't make sense that they're holding Charlotte and Jonathan in the Castle. Charlotte's spells could easily wipe out a horde of enemies as it does in the intro, her and Jonathan can kill a fused version of Death and Dracula The Lord of Darkness, but some Nazi's are too much? (and why are 1000 Nazi's holding them there again?) The two ideas are just like chalk and cheese, there needs to be more of a tie in to the plot itself. If Brauner was a Nazi - i.e. the equivalent of CV's Hitler, the way Dracula = CV's Satan - and he sent his soldiers through the Castle to search for powerful artifacts that could help him (say the orbs that you get from defeating the bosses) then these two ideas would make sense. Again if Brauner = Hitler and he was causing the flow of Chaos to increase by sending his soldiers to different parts of the world by using Castlevania's power (subverting the power to the throne room) opening portals/ portraits to those parts of the world in order to storm and massacre his enemies (Nation of fools, Burnt Paradise) or gather occult information/ artifacts (Witch's University/ Egyptian Pyramids) then we're getting some kind of synergy with all of those themes. However, all we get are loose if any explanations at best, and those portraits are spaces that are imbued with the artist's intent.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 04:12:11 AM »
I saw that coming Dracula9. See why i didnt bother replying now? Leave the cattle talking alone

Yeah. Starting to doubt that profile age.  :P

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »
Astarte would be nice for a random mediocre anime game, but not CASTLEVANIA!
But Portrait of Ruin is both a mediocre anime game and a Castlevania game

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
I would have loved Ayami doing DoS/PoR art of only to see how would she have designed a non-succubus female villain.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
But Portrait of Ruin is both a mediocre anime game and a Castlevania game

But PoR's not supposed to be mediocre Anime game! Anime style's one of the worst factor of PoR! I expected Kojima Ayami art or at least similar. Was there any boss like that in Castlevania 1 or 3?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
Yep, because games made almost 20 years apart are exactly comparable.

Keep making a monumental fool of yourself, bro. You're not convincing anyone of shit.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 07:20:23 PM »
Yep, because games made almost 20 years apart are exactly comparable.

Keep making a monumental fool of yourself, bro. You're not convincing anyone of shit.

Also, actually found out that Harmony of Dissonance (2002) doesn't have straight-out sexualized characters (there IS siren and witch, but this version is not much as more recent games). Lawl.

Again, what I want is to pull out sexualized characters out of the series, not squeezing in stuff I like!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 08:44:02 PM »
Vampires as subject matter are inherently sexual in nature, since they're human carnal desires to the extreme.

Still not convincing anyone of shit, and now you're moving the goalposts from "INSERT YUGIOH BECAUSE ACTUAL RELEVANT GODDESS IS A WHORE" to trying to act like a champion of stereotyped gender roles (despite almost all sexualized female demons in CV being sexualized because they're inherently related to sexuality, but facts and common sense don't seem to be your thing).

But by all means, hit up Konami and IGA and present this "argument" to them. I'm sure they'd drop everything and agree with you immediately.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be exiting this conversation after this post since it is abundantly clear you don't care about anything other than shouting your opinion regardless of how much objective information contradicts it, and I've indulged your dumb argument too long already.

Tags:

anything