Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Weird stuff happening while I sleep  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
Have any of you have this happen to you when you sleep? The first time it happened I thought I felt someone pulling the covers off my body. At the time I had a cat so I had to take that into consideration. However it has happened a number of times since then. Just today it happened again. At first it felt like something poking and pushing on the mattress but then it got a little bit more serious. It felt like there was something wrapped around my body almost like a squid or octopus. It had me in an arm bar or something. It wasn't frightning though I admit that it started to become uncomfortable and I struggled to wake up. Now I might have been sleeping awkwardly and that would explain the Is the brain that powerful that it does this while we sleep. I mean I have had dreams in the past where I feel pain but this was just very disturbing and confusing. It only seems to happen when my body is in a natural state where it tells me "ok time to sleep now".

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
The American Indians said that our waking life is the actual dream, and in our sleep is when we in fact perceive true reality. (Peyote is an enlightening thing, yes?)

Dude, fact of the matter is that we do weird shit when we sleep. I wake up more than half the time with my blankets off to the sides and my bed sheet somehow inexplicably wrapped around my waist and upper torso like a snake winding up my body. WTF?!?? I don't recall ever dreaming about rolling around on the floor french-kissing an anaconda. How the hell does this shit happen? It is a bigger friggin' mystery than those Kardashian bitches on television, I tell you.

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »
You're suffering from Sleep Paralysis.
Your body's trying to fall asleep, and before it enters REM sleep, your mind isn't quite ready for sleep.

As you try and fall asleep, there is a point before REM sleep at which your brain turns off the motor functions of your body (so that you don't start running if you're dreaming of running).  Sometimes if you're a light sleeper or if you have trouble sleeping, your brain will turn off your motor functions but will not turn off your senses completely, which gives you that "I'm awake, but I'm FUCKING PARALYZED!" feeling.  That feeling, in turn, causes you to panic because you cannot move, and it feels as if you are bound.

Depending on how imaginative you are, and how awake/asleep you are, your brain may come up with some nifty hallucinations.  You may feel your covers moving (feeling isn't completely gone on your body), you may feel dread and may have the fear of opening your eyes (your brain has paralyzed you so you cannot open your eyes, so you 'think' there's someone in the room), and sometimes, if you sleep on your stomach, it may feel as if something heavy is 'pushing' you down into the bed and preventing you from moving.

There's a plausable scientific reason for all of this, and it happens to most people, so do not worry.

Click here for more information
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:12:08 AM »
I remember suffering from sleep paralysis a couple of times in the past. I'd wake up but be unable to move my body. In fact I was also unable to draw breath! Now that's something that would always freak me out. If you can imagine waking up not being able to move but also not being able to take in air for you oxygen-starved lungs, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.  :-X

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
I think you make some good points Jorge. The one argument I have against that is that the brain is only seemingly tangible. The brain is made of matter and matter is energy slowed down. If you break things down enough you would be breaking things down infinitely.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Catholics-955/2008/6/soul-exist.htm

Please excuse any zealotry in this. That is not aim here but to provide a different angle.

The American Indians said that our waking life is the actual dream, and in our sleep is when we in fact perceive true reality. (Peyote is an enlightening thing, yes?)

Dude, fact of the matter is that we do weird shit when we sleep. I wake up more than half the time with my blankets off to the sides and my bed sheet somehow inexplicably wrapped around my waist and upper torso like a snake winding up my body. WTF?!?? I don't recall ever dreaming about rolling around on the floor french-kissing an anaconda. How the hell does this shit happen? It is a bigger friggin' mystery than those Kardashian bitches on television, I tell you.

Mobius all I can say is Cocaine is a hell of a drug too but what about Ayahuasca? I have probably woken up a dozen times at least in my lifetime due to lying on my arm and having it go rubber chicken on me. The brain is fuckin strange and thank whatever power is responsible for us to be able to see the other reality the Indians said.

A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
Oh god, that scares the shit out of me when I wake up with a limp arm! That is scary!! For all you know, you stabbed so many people to death in your dreams last night that you inadvertently killed a major nerve in your shoulder! Never mind the urge to play with your goodies because it'll feel like a stranger's hand fondling you, get rubbin' and flexin' to get some friggin' circulation back in your lifeless limb! Frightning, frightning shite and one helluva phucked-up way to start your mornings, children.

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »

Sleep paralysis is awful, but I'm so used to it I don't worry too much about it when it happens. First time it happened I thought I was being pushed through my bed by Satan or some extremely HEAVY demon that sat on my back. I honestly thought I was dead and being sent to hell.  :D I tend to hallucinate pretty bad when it happens, and I sometimes hear weird noises too, like screaming or..uhm..buzzing. Other times the experience is completely different - all quiet and nothing scary happens, except for the fact that I can't move/scream or do anything about it. It wears off pretty quickly though. Also, a few times I think my eyes have been slightly open, cause I remember seeing the desk next to my bed, but I was 100% paralysed for at least 2-3 minutes... not fun.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »
I wonder what causes those who experience sleep paralysis to hear really loud and/or droning noises. :o Seems in most cases there's some accompanying sound that's really disturbing.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:37:23 PM »
On a more CV note, some people think that sleep paralysis is the phenomenon that inspired the concept of the Succubus.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:49:54 PM »
It did. The succubus and the incubus are a product of people who didn't understand what sleep paralysis was. And because they didn't know what it was they invented all sorts of things including the aforementioned succubus and incubus to explain it. You could also say this was deliberately the case because they didn't want to sound crazy for fear of being persecuted by the church so they blamed sleep paralysis on non-real demons to satisfy the authorities and keep themselves from harm.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:40 PM »
Ok, there have been people in here who have had sleep paralysis and we all agree it's a weird occurrance. Has anyone in here had an OBE or an NDE? Does everyone in here believe that when we die it's ketamine city for our brains and if so how does the brain know to release these chemicals. How does it know what pain feels like as so to release them? Why not release water instead or some other chemical in a healthy brain? Hmmmmm......

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
Re: Weird stuff happening while I sleep
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 05:40:09 AM »
You're suffering from Sleep Paralysis.
Your body's trying to fall asleep, and before it enters REM sleep, your mind isn't quite ready for sleep.

Click here for more information

correct...i had that diagnosis some years ago cured by clonazepam.

Drac's army of zombie-trannie-weirdos

:-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Tags: