Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: ANATHEMA - Classicvania Coming to Steam  (Read 107839 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Re: ANATHEMA - Official Announcement + Trailer (1080p)
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2016, 02:13:22 AM »
Really nice! I skipped a lot of the discussion, but that test footage really got me interested. Keep up the good work.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:53 AM »
Thanks very much everyone!  I debated about sharing the footage, but I was getting tired of keeping people totally in the dark, even though the official "reveal" is still down the road.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »
You should put this on the Castlevania FB Group if you haven't already.
I can do it for ya if ya want.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »
Thanks Jorge!  I'm going to wait until I have a more in-depth trailer that shows a lot more variety.  I want to make a good first (second) impression.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2016, 01:04:20 PM »
In my opinion, you're already showing off great stuff, here... but ok.  I'll wait.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »
Thanks very much man!

So, even though it may be against my better judgement, I figured I would show a glimpse of the game in motion using one of the earlier areas.  I want to save the newer areas for the trailer.  But anyway, not all environmental areas are finished, animations to refine and there are still places to insert enemies...blah blah...unfinished...disclaimers...be sure to watch in HD/60fps.

Dude, this is ridiculous! You are doing this in 2.5 correct? Who did you soundtrack because that's some catchy tunes! I hope that you are releasing the OST as well. This is Early footage? The action is on point! I could go on an artist critique, but your presentation, models, and environments are all top notch! You've improved by leaps and bounds from your previous titles. Awesome sauce!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »
In my opinion, you're already showing off great stuff, here... but ok.  I'll wait.

I appreciate the kind words!  If you want to share it I don't see where it would hurt I guess.  I just am eager to finish up some of the areas to show the new trailer.  Hopefully that will have more of a wow factor than just this one, unfinished area.

Dude, this is ridiculous! You are doing this in 2.5 correct? Who did you soundtrack because that's some catchy tunes! I hope that you are releasing the OST as well. This is Early footage? The action is on point! I could go on an artist critique, but your presentation, models, and environments are all top notch! You've improved by leaps and bounds from your previous titles. Awesome sauce!

Yep, still working in F2.5.  Gren4 is handling the OST for this game.  Matter of fact, he's got the greater majority of the OST written and mostly done.  Though I'm sure tweaks are going to be done here and there.  This is early test footage, as the area you see is an unfinished area.  I know what you mean, I go on a critique all the time with it.  I've wanted to do a pixel art style but that couldn't be arranged so we have what we have.  Though, the new rendering techniques I am doing area much better than the old and I feel a lot better about the "art style".  A whole helluva lot of work goes into the models, environments and overall presentation.  But it is all still a WIP so I will be improving as we go.  I really am trying to polish like crazy as I go along so that when I am done with the core and go back to polish, I can make it even better.  I think what I'm essentially the absolute most proud of is the overall efficiency of the code in comparison to any prior works of mine.  Granted we have not had widespread testing, but bugs are actually very, very minimal.  The engine and controls are, in my opinion, damn solid.  They better be, I've only been working on this new version for almost a year, not to mention the version before that...I'm not making the same mistakes I did with Bloodletting, by using internal, prebuilt movements within MMF2.  The entire engine is built from the ground up and in total, the engine has had somewhere in the area of 10 months worth of development time when counting the old version and the new.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:07:02 PM by piscesdreams »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2016, 03:14:25 PM »
Yeah, thing looks pretty spectacular. Can't say much without repeating what's been said already.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Gren4

• Anathema's Composer
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2016, 06:23:11 AM »
Who did you soundtrack because that's some catchy tunes! I hope that you are releasing the OST as well.

Thank you, sir! I’m glad the music is catchy, as that’s what I’m aiming for.  I’m really trying to capture that aspect from the 8 and 16-bit eras. But rather than have to deal with the limited instrumentation that those composers had to deal with, I’m trying to keep the melodies rather simple, yet have them fully realized and orchestrated.

I should also say that I’ve pulled out all the stops for the OST. It’s not all orchestral; there are heavy guitars sometimes, synth, voices and choirs, etc. It’s a mash-up of anything that will serve the song I’m writing, and ultimately, the game itself.

To answer your question regarding the release of the soundtrack: Right now, the plan is to release it as part of a “deluxe edition,” or as a pre-order bonus, or as DLC when the game is released. It will probably also be available on iTunes. Of course, as development proceeds, any of that could change, but those are the rough plans, and what we’d like to do.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2016, 07:59:38 AM »
I really can't wait for everyone to get their hands on the demo and play it, as well as hear some of the more recent tunes that are, in my opinion, much catchier than what you hear in the above video.

I'm actually quite surprised at the variety Gren has brought for the OST, and yet it all fits.  There are a lot of different moods which is great because a lot of the stages have different moods also.

I'm also planning on including something in the demo that Castlevania IV and Bloodlines should have done, but never did. ;)

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #175 on: May 24, 2016, 10:05:48 AM »
I was out for many months, and Im really Surprised with the way that this game took!!!
Now the this is so much fast-paced, dinamic and......BETTER!!!! щ(゜ロ゜щ)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »
I really hope this doesn't come across as an insult...this has really come a long way from your initial post!  It looked great then, and it looks incredible now!

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »
Haven't checked this out in a while and you're making great progress since the last time I was here. Keep it up.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2016, 10:46:40 PM »
So it's been a month since anyone last talked about it, but I started following this thread again since my last post (last year... wow) and I wanna offer up my two cents, especially after watching the gameplay build.

I'm REALLY digging it. The fast-paced feel of it is really something. It looks like a solid mixture of Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and Mega Man X. You put them together in a really solid way. Nice job!

I do wanna offer up a BIT of criticism, since I didn't see anyone else point it out. Don't know if you changed or not in the couple months since the video release, but... yeah. In the trailer, we see that the player can run up and down rubble as slopes. However, these pieces of rubble, visually, are no different from the non-interactive background images. While watching the video, some of these slopes confused me since I thought they'd simply be in the background. (I attached an image of what I mean, as well as the specific part that confused me)

So basically what I'm suggesting is maybe making them stand out a bit more? For example, the pillar itself looks to be in the background, while the ground itself appears in the foreground. I think that putting them on the same plane would be better, like having the pillar itself in the grass rather than behind it. Or even something simpler like brightening the graphics of the slopes.

Outside of that, though, there's nothing else I see wrong with it so far. As I said, it looks solid. Definitely gonna keep tabs on the project more. Keep up the good work!
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »
+1
Hello everyone.  Sorry for the lack of updates.  I've been a recluse lately, work has been insane (someone got caught stealing so naturally I have to pick up the slack) and honestly, creator's block has been a major pain in my ass.  I assure you the project is still moving along, it's just moving slower than I'd like as I'm polishing as I go and really taking my time with this.  Plus, 3d graphics take a long time to animate and render.  As some of you know I use Daz Studio for this but I've been expanding into Blender and 3DS Max for certain things that Daz is just not capable of.  I'm running a GTX 760 right now and I really hope to make an upgrade soon that should decrease a lot of the render times.

I thought I might share a very early WIP of a new environment that you should be seeing more of sooner or later. This is not a concept, this is in-game before I am really adding in the platforming aspect.  I have mostly been focusing on the environment itself before building the playable area.  There are still some touches I need to add like the splashes of water against objects in the water.

Sorry it took so long to get back to here, but let me respond to everyone now!

I was out for many months, and Im really Surprised with the way that this game took!!!
Now the this is so much fast-paced, dinamic and......BETTER!!!! щ(゜ロ゜щ)

It's an awful lot of work, and progress is much slower than I'd like, but I think it's finally coming together and starting to show.  I promise to have a demo sooner or later, I just have been working to get it to where I think it is good.

I really hope this doesn't come across as an insult...this has really come a long way from your initial post!  It looked great then, and it looks incredible now!

Not at all taken as an insult!  All the early criticism has helped bring it to a higher quality.  We're always open to hearing the feedback, good and bad.  We just can't wait to get it out for you to play it. 

Haven't checked this out in a while and you're making great progress since the last time I was here. Keep it up.

Thanks very much!  I knew we would start to make a believer out of you sooner or later. ;)

So it's been a month since anyone last talked about it, but I started following this thread again since my last post (last year... wow) and I wanna offer up my two cents, especially after watching the gameplay build.

I'm REALLY digging it. The fast-paced feel of it is really something. It looks like a solid mixture of Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and Mega Man X. You put them together in a really solid way. Nice job!

I do wanna offer up a BIT of criticism, since I didn't see anyone else point it out. Don't know if you changed or not in the couple months since the video release, but... yeah. In the trailer, we see that the player can run up and down rubble as slopes. However, these pieces of rubble, visually, are no different from the non-interactive background images. While watching the video, some of these slopes confused me since I thought they'd simply be in the background. (I attached an image of what I mean, as well as the specific part that confused me)

So basically what I'm suggesting is maybe making them stand out a bit more? For example, the pillar itself looks to be in the background, while the ground itself appears in the foreground. I think that putting them on the same plane would be better, like having the pillar itself in the grass rather than behind it. Or even something simpler like brightening the graphics of the slopes.

Outside of that, though, there's nothing else I see wrong with it so far. As I said, it looks solid. Definitely gonna keep tabs on the project more. Keep up the good work!

Those are the exact mixtures that we are shooting for!  Maybe I'm biased, but I feel it plays a bit better than I expected when mashing up those series.

This actually has not been changed since the video.  To be honest with you, this is the kind of stuff that I need to hear.  I spend an awful lot of time on level design and the overall aesthetic.  I want it to feel natural as much as I can make it, but it also needs to work from a gameplay perspective.  I will see what I can do to make this pop more.  I've placed a lot of worry into certain things not popping as much as they probably should to let the player know the interactive possibilities.  I think brightening the slops with a bit of the grass would probably do the trick.

Thanks for your comments everyone.  Please don't hesitate to drop us any feedback you may have.  I know it's hard to say based on the video and having not yet played it.  I feel like I'm breaking a bit of the creator's block and will be on vacation soon so I hope to make a lot of progress for that demo!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:00:02 PM by piscesdreams »

anything