Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anyone got any comic/manga/manwha/graphic novel/etc. suggestions?  (Read 11560 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Anyone got any comic/manga/manwha/graphic novel/etc. suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »
I'd recommend some 80ss and 90s manga from Kazuo Koiki and Ryoichi Ikegami (you might tell I'm a huge fan of theirs from my username lol), but its extremely niche today. This is because of their stories, which have really over the top stupid, really over the top shocking, and really over the top fan service. The artwork is always beautiful and unique with a realistic approach to characters, and while the plots are full of stupid, shocl-value and fan service, they always have some underlying theme that makes them work and you can see the good points to their stories (the 1990 and 1995 Crying Freeman movies play this up extremely well). The duo worked on-
Crying Freeman(5-7 volumes depending on publisher)
Offered (2 volumes)
Wounded Man (9 volumes)
Lady Snowblood (can be found as an omnibus)

If you wanna check out their stuff, I suggest Crying Freeman and Lady Snowblood, their most famous works. Also Strain, which has Ikegami's art with a down to earth plot. I'd skip Wounded Man and Offered unless you're a die hard fan of theirs. Offered can be found cheap but is so ridiculous and dumb, plus I needed shock value and fan service, as is Wounded Man which is expensive as hell and full of some dreadful actions of the main character throughout the story, which is a shame because it's a really strong story hurt by stupid and downright over-offensive bits. If you love niche like I do though, the Ikegami Koiki teamup mangas are for you.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
For interesting and odd series qhich get you thinking, I highly recommend le Chevalier d'Eon (based on the real historical figure), which is historical but with a supernatural twist, and Princess Tutu.  Yes, PT is very shojou, but it's cleverly done, spinning a beautifully rich story based on numerous classical ballets centred on Swan Lake, with a metaphysics and philosophical slant.  I love it.  d'Eon is weird, but intrigueing.  For short animes, I highly recommend as well Little Witch Academia, which is just enchanting.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 03:00:23 AM »
I've watched the anime version of Princess Tutu. It's good.

As for the anime I've just finished right now, Shokugeki no Soma! Drool... feed me.... I need the sequel asap. (there's a manga of this but I haven't read it yet)
Shimoneta is funny too!

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 03:42:31 AM »
Akazukin Cha Cha, the first couple seasons of the anime aren't from the manga, the rest are. Delightful show, delightful manga.

Pretty good story in the anime, that eventually unfolds to what the manga has.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 07:16:40 PM »
There are scans of the manga I'm sure of it but I've been watching the anime of sakigake otokojuku, how to be a man samurai school! If you're into jojo's bizarre adventure or fist of the north star you'll like it. It's a very manly anime/manga  :)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:22:12 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2015, 05:37:58 AM »
A true MANga :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2015, 11:45:52 PM »
I've watched the anime version of Princess Tutu. It's good.

As for the anime I've just finished right now, Shokugeki no Soma! Drool... feed me.... I need the sequel asap. (there's a manga of this but I haven't read it yet)
Shimoneta is funny too!

The uncensored Shimoneta's are awesome though the curse words are still bleeped out, was the second to last anime I just watched followed by All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (this one in 2 episodes just jumps plots completely). Princess Tutu on the other hand is good, but strange, colorful yet drab in color in many scenes, very depressing at times more than funny (it's listed as comedy, but has little of that).

Tags:

anything