Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simons Quest: Revamped Again (fan project, in development) Want Suggestions  (Read 65913 times)

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
This happened in both CV 1 and CV 3 as well so it's not indigenous programming to CV 2 alone. I personally never found it a bother. In fact I though it was beneficial in some ways. That I don't have to cautiously step right at the edge of a platform in order to climb down or up a set of stairs without worrying about accidentally stepping too far and falling to my doom.

I agree with X on that particular quirk.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Actually every classicvania does the 'sucking in' thing I mentioned. And they all allow the use of up/down as well as left/right for stair climbing.

Thinking about it and looking closely at the games I think that the very last part of the stair climbing when you reach the end of stair might have a similar property to when you first get on. What I mean is that the last step is largely automatic and ignores your input so as to prevent the player falling off short edges easily.

I mentioned studying RoB and DX because they most resemble the graphic style in Revamped.

IMO the best version of stair climbing was in SCV4 where they had specific stairs in certain 'dangerous' placed that would automatically make you climb them instead of risking letting you fall to your doom.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
IMO the best version of stair climbing was in SCV4 where they had specific stairs in certain 'dangerous' placed that would automatically make you climb them instead of risking letting you fall to your doom.

I think in Dracula X on SNES, the stairway in the last stage you could walk right through it. I might be wrong, but I think the original RoB was like that too with the final staircase.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Some staircases in the SNES Dracula X were solid. Several stages had them, as well as the final staircase at the beginning of the final stage was also solid so you could not fall through it. In Rondo however the final stage staircase was not solid so you have to manually climb it or die.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Oh. I got them mixed up, it seems. I just remembered it was one of the Richter games with the final staircase. Thankfully, DXC fixed that last staircase and you couldn't fall through it at all since it was a full three dimensional staircase.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I wonder if they did that on purpose to mess with our heads?
"Stuff and things."

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
This may have been said already, but what about some cutscenes?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
I will petition for a new intro at least like the beta one added to the translation patch. That's basically a big fat cut scene. Don't know where it would be good to add any more. Not without adding a lot of unnecessary exposition anyway.
"Stuff and things."

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I have some great new ideas to implement and possibly some collaborators. I will keep you posted as development progresses!

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
Just to let you know there is progress, I posted this video yesterday. Things are moving along:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:26:41 AM by metroidquest »

Offline SabinFigaro

• Hunter in Training
  • What a horrible day to go to work..
    • Awards
Video is not working for me. But maybe that's just me...

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
Thanks for noticing! updated

Offline optkiller

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
better window or full screen resolution would be nice

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Yeah, it is 2015. Why not use a 16:9 resolution which most moniters support nowadays?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
Re: Simons Quest: Revamped Again (fan project, in development) Want Suggestions
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
Yeah, it is 2015. Why not use a 16:9 resolution which most moniters support nowadays?

I think I can do that. I'll put it on the list.

Tags:

anything