Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CHRONICLES OF THE WOLF  (Read 20748 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2022, 10:53:27 AM »
LOL. At first I though something happened with the development of your game. Turns out it's just the gameover sequence  ;D

Don't worry us like that  :'(
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline slograa

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2022, 05:07:42 AM »
The post was deleted, it looked good with the wolf and the moon, and Belgrade's voice.

Offline Migami Games

• http://the-mig-page.wifeo.com/
  • Vampire Hunter
  • https://twitter.com/migami_games
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2023, 12:09:24 PM »
+2
A short clip from the Hall of Cursed Arms in Chronicles of the Wolf has been shared on our Twitter. Short clip, but the game is a behemoth that improves on everything we've done up to this point. Can't wait to share our best work to date with you all this year!

https://twitter.com/Migami_Games/status/1621910009612230659?t=uqC3JzOISKn2bdqTPH6YHg&s=19

Offline nokundhi

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »
Looks good, will it be coming to PC? And, will it have rebindable controls?

Offline Migami Games

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2023, 11:19:19 AM »
+1
Hi thanks for your question!

Wallachia released on Steam first and then consoles. For Chronicles of the Wolf it will release on consoles first, and then Steam. More info on that will come.

Offline Migami Games

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2023, 08:58:05 AM »
+1
Got a nice necro-post for ya

The new trailer for Chronicles of the Wolf is up
https://youtu.be/f6krWr0cqm0

And the game can now be wishlisted on the steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2371890/Chronicles_of_the_Wolf/?curator_clanid=4777282

Let's goooo

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2023, 01:22:00 PM »
+1
And in the spirit of sharing I invite you all to check out a new track from the game called "Flooded Basement (submerged)".
https://youtu.be/DhhouioLRZk
The worst monsters are human.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2023, 09:11:39 PM »
Interesting tune... Kinda has a dark Jazzy feel playing out.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline slograa

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2023, 04:37:50 AM »
These devs put their soul into their games, and so their games have a soul, it's a great experience to play them, this one might be the best of the bunch, wich is saying something. I continue to think that they should be more popular.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2023, 06:08:28 AM »
Thanks X! This OST is my biggest effort. Not only is it the largest body of music I've made, but it has been played almost all by hand, which elevates the emotion in the music a lot. This song definitely has a jazz fusion feel. I've been inspired by the diversity in the sotn OST and also the Italian horror soundtrack band from 70's, Goblin.

It was also an honor to have Oscar Araujo (lords of shadow composer) guest compose a couple songs for the OST. What he did fits really nicely.

This is our best game without a doubt. It's been by far the most difficult dev cycle we've ever experienced. But we can't wait to finally share it with you guys. It brings a lot of new things to the table, while celebrating our past works and inspirations.

Thanks guys!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2023, 09:26:51 AM »
^^^

Okay, you've been busy, no question  :o

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2023, 11:34:38 AM »
@Belmontoya/Mig: Excited about Chronicles of the Wolf. Been enamored with Lecarde Chronicles 1 and 2 for years, watching some vids and listening to the fantastic soundtrack on Youtube while doing art. Because of concerns about downloading freeware, I stopped myself from playing the games until just recently. I have cleared Lecarde Chronicles 2 100% and am around three quarters through Lecarde Chronicles 1. Even with having a few things spoiled, these games, especially Lecarde Chronicles 2, surpassed my high expectations. I am not easily impressed, either.

Philosophically, they were what I wanted from the Bloodstained Kickstarter. Not to say Bloodstained and its spinoffs weren’t enjoyable, but these games are bold, euphoric experiences. They don’t feel real, honestly, with how much they get right for me. They address a lot of my concerns and complaints about the way Castlevania has been over the last roughly twenty years. Talk about feast after famine for Castlevania. Unlike the direction I see going on with the Dead Cells DLC, these two games get to the heart of Castlevania as a whole. I don’t think saying “Metroidvania” does them justice. While Lecarde Chronicles 2 obviously uses much more from Metroidvania, and I want to say it’s the best Metroidvania-based Castlevania, it defines itself. Lecarde Chronicles 1 is like a mix of Simon’s Quest, Belmont’s Revenge, and Rondo of Blood, with just a touch of Symphony of the Night. Lecarde Chronicles 2 is a fully realized Simon’s Quest with Symphony of the Night as a supporting structure. Also, I sense some Haunted Castle and Castlevania 64 influence in these in terms of atmosphere and “shock” moments.

To me, here’s what makes “Migavania” different in my mind:

1.)   It brings in more consequential, varied platforming, horizontal and vertical.

2.)   Experience points are not essential.

3.)   Stat boosts have instant purpose to the game progression, making upgrades and money acquisition more rewarding.

4.)   Areas feel distinct and cohesive, and they do not overstay their welcome.

5.)   The game includes genuine “spooky,” “unnerving” horror moments.

6.)   The game progression has momentum and feels meaningful, especially through the use of visual and text-based foreshadowing.

7.)   There are thoughtful, contextual visual and text-based puzzles beyond just lock-and-key progression that create an air of investigative mystery.

8.)   The game continues to challenge with new obstacles, objectives, and puzzle types even as late as 95% into the game.

9.)   The world feels organic, and the music supports this brilliantly with how often it changes with variations on themes and/or new songs, but also knowing when to switch to no music or just ambient sounds.

10.)    Bosses have a satisfying old-school pattern recognition.

I could write a massive essay on these games. These are the kind of games I always wanted to make. They are now among my favorite games in any franchise, and they have jumped right to the top tier of Castlevania games in any genre. Konami should really not ignore what was accomplished with these games. But the ten things I noted above were key because they weren’t afraid to break what’s been expected by Symphony of the Night. I know Chronicles of the Wolf is bringing back experience points, but I hope the game doesn’t become less rewarding as a result. Without experience points, exploration and finding items became that much more important and satisfying in the gameplay loop.

I have to say, the music news you are sharing for Chronicles of the Wolf is very encouraging. It really sounds like you’re building off the philosophies in the Lecarde Chronicles 2 especially. Thanks for doing all this. You’ll be amused to know that I’ve found myself humming songs from Lecarde Chronicles 2—Efrain’s theme, the Caged Corpse boss, and Illusionist boss being some. And that University theme was a real gem. Just in general, the way you played to the moments, even subtle ones, was so effective. Early on, the way that cursed inn has an unsettling overture before you actually break into its lower sections and the Castlevania IV Stage 4 remix starts—so awesome. Your Flooded Basement track has that nice watery feel to it that jazz/blues creates. The only part that I feel off on is around 1:03, it hangs on a set of notes, and my ears are expecting it to go up like a note or octave at some point in variation to build up that part, but it stays there a little long before transitioning to the next part without a slight variation for the mind to travel with.

I’m thankful that CotW is being made, and grateful for the Lecarde games. Regardless of how Chronicles of the Wolf turns out, the Lecarde games have ended up as landmark experiences for me, reminding me why I love games. They go way beyond emulating a style; they built something new from what has been, honoring it but expanding it quite a bit. I really hope Chronicles of the Wolf has those risky “wow!” moments from the Lecarde games where you get a little nervous but also intrigued—things like the Book of Caged Souls, the time-distortion puppet show, the Death Wall, the gravestone numbers vault, the solution to the Neptune Helmet riddle, the HEAVENS letter trick, the whole Anna story, the Death Room, Efrain’s “funeral,” Jeanne’s trap, the Hell Picture, the Illusionist, the red-fogged rooms, the Spiritualists’ meeting room, the magic mirrors reveal…just so many mind-blowing moments. (And that you had to wait for some to reach fruition—creating a big mystery--was especially interesting.) Even in Lecarde 1, the Pillar boss and the curtain rising of Wilhelm Von Viltheim and Liese Von Viltheim’s atmospheric battle. Just gaming at its best for me—so immersive and artistic. There came a point where I was assuming I’d “seen it all” in Lecarde 2, and then the game just kept topping itself.

Wishing you success and I’m hoping Chronicles of the Wolf will be able to maintain what Lecarde Chronicles 1 and 2 did without being tempted to just follow modern trends of what a “Metroidvania” “should” be. We already had a long run of games trying to be Symphony of the Night, and that’s not what’s needed. Keep being bold and doing your own thing. It’s hard to put into words just how much happiness these games have elicited, and I’m looking forward to seeing what Chronicles of the Wolf does. Honestly, it’s my most-anticipated game. Thanks!

A few odds and ends:
- I know you said no whips, which I’m sad about, but I do feel like the Super Castlevania IV grapple-point swinging mechanic is something that could have been explored in this new effort. Still, the hanging rings with air dashing and The Adventure rope-climbing in Lecarde 2 was still satisfying.

- I really liked how bosses like Anna and the Illusionist spoke with you during the battles. Very memorable.

- The idea of a “journey” in the Lecarde games, with plenty of outdoor areas and a variety of indoor areas, not just one big castle, is the best way to do these kind of games in my opinion.

- I was really impressed with a lot of backgrounds in Lecarde games. I hope that subdued moodiness/grittiness, and things like the fog effects, return in Chronicles of the Wolf.

- I really like the the Belmont strut pacing in the Lecarde games, and the jumping, especially the double jump with the flip animation, just feels so good.

- There was a hiccup in some turning from left to right to attack and while crouched in Lecarde 2. That and the air dash cancelling out with directional inputs at times were the only major control flaws in that game for me, but I learned how to cope and they couldn’t take away from the brilliance within.

- Liked the encounters with Alucard, not making him the focus, but giving some extra narrative energy.

- Did need to remap the controls to make it feel more natural.

- I am writing this in a hurry, so hopefully it’s coherent. Lol.

- As I alluded to, I've been developing a gothic horror concept since the late '90s, and the Lecarde games pushed so many buttons I've been wanting to. I was inspired to do this art related to my series because of the Lecarde Chronicles music and visuals before I even played the games:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 12:03:53 PM by RichterB »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2023, 10:43:40 AM »
^^^

If the above isn't a compliment/praise, then I don't know what is! Good job RichterB  :o

My only gripe with those games is the fact that there is no actual controller support built in. LC2 maybe (I haven't checked recently) but definitely not LC1. JoytoKey has always been a no-go for me because I just can't get the damned program to work right and I'd rather spend my precious time playing these two games. Instead I have to cross my arms over each other just to get my hands on the right spots on the keyboard. And let me tell you after a few minutes the cramps start to set in. Then it just becomes painful. In this day and age button configurations/controllers are a must. I'll probably get reprimanded again because this is a song they've heard more then once from me, lol. But I genuinely, really want to play these two titles and not miss out on the experiences and enjoyment that everyone else is having.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2023, 07:55:10 PM »
+1
@Richter B

Thanks so much for those kind words. We've been with our heads down working our tails off for a long time so it's really encouraging to know that our work means something to people. We make the games that we would want to play as CV fans, classic horror fans, and platformer fans in general. We're not interested in following trends. We just try to get better at what we do, making Migami games.

Btw, I'm humbled that my music inspired you to create that cool artwork! I love the Day of the Dead aesthetic!

I'm not sure what the future holds for after this. We are getting old and this game has pushed us to the breaking point. But we've given it our all for COTW and it's everything we wanted to do with LC3. Soon we will share our best work with you all! :-)

@X

I hope you can find a way to give the LC series a playthrough. They are older games, and I personally wasn't a part of the testing phase back then (I should have been). We have learned since then that we need bigger groups for testing. I never had issues with controller support after the game came out, but I'm aware that some other people did. Many apologies if your complaints weren't given a fair acknowledgement. Those games were a long time ago and I wasn't always kind or professional back then because I was inexperienced and had a lot to learn.

There are some awesome people who are working to improve functionality for LC2. Ace has been posting updates on that here on the dungeon forum. Hopefully it will be possible for you to have a good experience with it! :-)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2023, 09:56:04 AM »
Belmontoya@

Someday it'll happen. I'll just have to be patient until a program comes out that will eliminate all the hoop-jumping that is still required for JoytoKey. As I've also said in the past, I'm good at the waiting game  :)

Tags: