Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: People messing with the respect points  (Read 28767 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: People messing with the respect points
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
I see your point. That's why I reformulated my explanation in my previous post.
You are right. Some upvotes can be followed by "Cool!", "That's so funny!" and "Good point", and things like that. It isn't always "I agree". Both could require explanations. But that would be a headache for admins, so I don't know...

I don't see, however, why would someone have a problem with people giving love, virtual hugs, I don't know how to call it, but that's so cute and tender, I like it, that's what giving +1 means to me, and I like to do it (provided I agree; I would never upvote a user I like if he/she says, I don't know, something like "OoE sucks"; neither would I downvote him/her; I'd just disagree with a post, neither +1 nor -1; but that's just me).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
+2
No explanation should be needed for +'s or -'s.
It is understood that it means "I am promoting this post" or "I do not promote this post".

It's obvious that it means that the post is agreeable/disagreeable.

Seriously guys, grow some thicker skin.  No matter what I implement, someone will complain, complain, complain.
Right now it's like Upvotes/Downvotes on Youtube.  That's it.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2013, 08:30:11 PM »
Seriously guys, grow some thicker skin.  No matter what I implement, someone will complain, complain, complain.

That happens everywhere on internet and IRL, look at presidents around the world when they try to change something to make some people happy for example lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2013, 01:31:13 AM »
No explanation should be needed for +'s or -'s.
It is understood that it means "I am promoting this post" or "I do not promote this post".

It's obvious that it means that the post is agreeable/disagreeable.

Right now it's like Upvotes/Downvotes on Youtube.  That's it.
Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about you, the forum or the other mods, nor am I complaining about dungeonites in general.
And I'd like... oh God I'd like!... to grow a thicker skin. But it's easier said than done when you are some unpopular girl with divorced parents and low self-esteem. I come here to have a good time, and that kind of things... well, they make me kind of sad. Especially when I try to be so good to everyone. I can't help it.
Can we please let this go? I don't want to keep walking in circles around this one bad episode when there are so many good things around the Dungeon.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2013, 02:53:16 AM »
Can we please let this go? I don't want to keep walking in circles around this one bad episode when there are so many good things around the Dungeon.

You'll have to redeem your self first.
(click to show/hide)
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2013, 03:50:41 AM »
You'll have to redeem your self first.
(click to show/hide)

Redemption? Mmmm...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
I didn't think my attempt to show Ashvarus or whatever his name that respect points mean nothing would amount to all of this.

Yes yes I am the culprit.

Also, MY NAME IS KUPO LOL
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »
I didn't think my attempt to show Ashvarus or whatever his name that respect points mean nothing would amount to all of this.

It isn't because of you, I didn't even know who downvoted Ahasverus. I just corrected it.
Hey, I even gave you a lot of + votes when you were in negative.
I never thought of you when I wrote this topic. It was because some user created a duplicate account to downvote me twice in a lot of posts.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »
It was because some user created a duplicate account to downvote me twice in a lot of posts.

Another reason why that respect system was dumb. Turns it into a schoolyard playground.

Or one of those teen magazines you see in grocery stores.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:10 AM »
+1
some unpopular girl with divorced parents and low self-esteem.

Well I can't vouch for your popularity in your close-minded hometown but outside of it I imagine it would be pretty high. Divorce is pretty common these days, I'm sorry your parents broke up but I'm sure they both still love you very much. Sometimes people just grow apart or have differences they can't resolve, it's not always anyone's fault. Also, most importantly, you're a woman now. Not the girl you were in school. And as a woman, one who from all we've seen is a kind and beautiful one, you need to not let others define you. Either in their words and actions now or from years ago, you are your own person.

Redemption? Mmmm...
(click to show/hide)

There's nothing to apologize or redeem for. Even the best of friends have disagreements sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:18:52 AM by Ratty »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
+1

Another reason why that respect system was dumb. Turns it into a schoolyard playground.

Or one of those teen magazines you see in grocery stores.

"I disagree with the premise of this system.  To show how much I disagree and prove my point, I will degrade myself to a lowly troll to show people.  Yeah, that'll really show how my point of view is the right thing.
I am an hero."

Yeah you sure showed people a thing or two.  Like how acting like a slimy troll yields results...

...except no.  Nevermind that no one here even mentioned you until just recently.  Your efforts were meaningless, and only when someone else mentioned it about their plight on its own thread, and about someone else entirely, was something done.  And the system is still in place, just slightly different.

But I suppose if I had nothing better to do with my time, I probably would squander it constantly clicking the "-" button 'for the lulz'.
Thankfully, most people do have better things to do with their time.  Congrats on showing us what you do with yours.  ;)

Having said that, I do agree that the respect system is superfluous, and not to be taken too seriously.  I have conveyed this countless times.
It is now even more superfluous, as the numbers are not actually shown.  Nice and nerfed. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Tanatra

• Everything Burns
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
+2
This reminds me of the uproar created by the topic ratings way back in the olden days of circa-2003. People complained about them, too. If someone actually creates multiple accounts just to down-vote your posts, it says a lot more about them than it does the quality of your posts. Take solace in the fact that such people never have & probably never will get laid, and ignore the rating system & just enjoy your time here.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:51:43 AM by Tanatra »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »
+2
Shit, I got laid four times when I showed some ladies how many people upvoted my posts. I was all "hey gurl...see that? that's right, 8+ upvotes. awwww yeeeaaah!"

I still got love stank all over me.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »
"I disagree with the premise of this system.  To show how much I disagree and prove my point, I will degrade myself to a lowly troll to show people.  Yeah, that'll really show how my point of view is the right thing.
I am an hero."

Yeah you sure showed people a thing or two.  Like how acting like a slimy troll yields results...

...except no.  Nevermind that no one here even mentioned you until just recently.  Your efforts were meaningless, and only when someone else mentioned it about their plight on its own thread, and about someone else entirely, was something done.  And the system is still in place, just slightly different.

But I suppose if I had nothing better to do with my time, I probably would squander it constantly clicking the "-" button 'for the lulz'.
Thankfully, most people do have better things to do with their time.  Congrats on showing us what you do with yours.  ;)

Having said that, I do agree that the respect system is superfluous, and not to be taken too seriously.  I have conveyed this countless times.
It is now even more superfluous, as the numbers are not actually shown.  Nice and nerfed. :P

Only took around 15 minutes while listening to music.. I didn't do it to troll, Jorge. I did it to one person just to show him how easily the system could be manipulated. Wait. Why am I explaining myself to the person who implemented that whole trollish system in the first place?

I'm trying to act like a hero? lol?

Well anyway I'm glad you fixed it. Good job.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »

You must have a very fast computer to be able to load a person's posts going as far as 2008 only to minus them.  Or be on a very fast internet connection.  Or lying.  Regardless, good job I guess.

Apparently people will complain no matter what I do.
So 'fix' is, I suppose, one term to use.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:10:15 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags:

anything