Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Weight Loss Journey  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 04:57:36 PM »
Also, I don't think the two extremes quite equate.

There's hardly any social shaming on the thin-side, nor are there issues with clothing (or lack thereof).  For women it's particularly egregious, as a thin woman's bra is cheap in comparison to one with a bountiful bosom (they're fuckin' pricey).

We could name all of the problems that arise from each extreme, and I'm fairly certain that there are fewer on the thin side than on the other.

I'm not trying to downplay the issues of being too slender, though.  They're also important.  I just have an opinion that there are quite a few more on the opposite side where there are social aspects at play, etc.

I was quite literally only listing the physical effects of a very high metabolism not being as amazing as some people envious of such a metabolism might think. Social constructs and stigmas played zero part in it.

You yourself said "Basically, our stomachs are assholes whether we're thin or not," so the only person equating them was you--I just said each extreme sucks in its own right, not that they were equalized.

On the note of physical effects:
Quote from: zangetsu4680
Being at risk of arthritis from a young age (and in fact the calcium on your bones can deteriorate over time)

I'm pretty sure I'm already dealing with this from the amount of joint issues I've got that are only flaring up more and more as time passes, including but not limited to:
  • Grinding of the hip area that at times becomes so painful it feels like bone-on-bone and on more than one occasion has flat-out gone out under me and put me on whatever surface I'm standing on.
  • Knee problems including what I'm rather sure is nerve-related trouble due to the way the pain radiates and shoots through the leg, not to mention a kneecap that's exhibiting signs of possibly shifting to one side sometime in the future. Like the hip, this has also reached points where the pain grows so bad that I more or less can't do much of anything without absolutely forcing myself to (such as cracking said knee on said bad side against metal cabinets in the middle of work and having to literally hop like a kangaroo to do everything). I'd honestly rather be stabbed again than have a repeat of hitting the knee the wrong way.
  • Issues with the wrist and elbow in both arms, which I've flat-out equated as having some combination of carpal, radial, and especially ulnar tunnel syndromes--the ulnar nerve extends to the elbow, and there has been frequents flareups of numbness and shooting pain right along the ulnar's location in the arm. This of course also includes your standard pains and lockups caused by said carpal/radial/ulnar tunnel syndromes, of which I'm pretty sure I have at least two.
  • Similar shoulder problems that often results in pops and pain enough to make the arm stop whatever it's doing and force me to have to chill for a minute before trying to do anything else.
  • Countless instances of creaks and pops that range from annoying to excruciating and it's always random as to how badly it hurts.

So I can vouch for this if it is indeed a documented effect, assuming of course my case isn't just the luck of the genetic draw.  :P

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »
Smoking is a hell of a habit to kick, I've tried many times.... then I get a new pack.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »
But I'd rather be hungry all the time and be thin, than to be hungry all the time and not being able to eat because I KNOW I DON'T NEED TO EAT THIS OMG BUT BURGERS ARE DELICIOUS BUT THEY'LL GO STRAIGHT TO MY ASS syndrome.
Hahaha. I feel you Jorge. I used to be hungry all the time and thin when I was young. Now, argh....

@D9: Ouch.... Have you checked with your doctor regarding your thyroid? Maybe it is a cause of your being underweight. My colleague suffered from a thyroid problem.

Smoking is a hell of a habit to kick, I've tried many times.... then I get a new pack.
Ha. You're just like my mom. /Sigh...

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 04:23:48 AM »
I'm holding off on anything like that, Shiroi--simply put, my father was a twig same as me until his mid-twenties, at which point his metabolism slowed and he started being able to put on weight. I have a load of biological and physiological stuff inherited from him, and it's likely this may be one of them too.

He didn't have the kinds of issues I'm having or to the extent I'm having them (to the best of my knowledge, anyway), which is a bit worrisome, so it's not as clear a case as just simply waiting for it to slow down.

I'm more or less bearing with it for another couple of years and seeing if my body starts taking the same general route as his did, or if my metabolism just slows down at its own pace, before going in to the physician's.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2016, 08:09:53 AM »
+1
Getting back to the topic at hand, I'm down 2 lbs.. I'll start posting pics when I have the time.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:19:54 AM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2016, 08:42:06 AM »
Best wishes to you on your journey!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
Getting back to the topic at hand, I'm down 2 lbs.. I'll start posting pics when I have the time.

Hey, any drop is an accomplishment, congrats!  :)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 11:53:55 PM »
I'm holding off on anything like that, Shiroi--simply put, my father was a twig same as me until his mid-twenties, at which point his metabolism slowed and he started being able to put on weight. I have a load of biological and physiological stuff inherited from him, and it's likely this may be one of them too.

He didn't have the kinds of issues I'm having or to the extent I'm having them (to the best of my knowledge, anyway), which is a bit worrisome, so it's not as clear a case as just simply waiting for it to slow down.

I'm more or less bearing with it for another couple of years and seeing if my body starts taking the same general route as his did, or if my metabolism just slows down at its own pace, before going in to the physician's.

Alright. Just make sure to go to the doctor if your symptoms get worse.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 12:24:54 AM »
It's being very closely monitored--I've (amusingly) come to know the "standard" aches and pains of the symptoms, and know the severity of the flareups. I'm waiting it out in the hopes that it'll resolve itself, but I'm keeping a close eye on all of the issues since that hope is almost surely just wishful thinking. But I'm not too proud to go to the doctor if it gets too bad.

The concern's really appreciated.  :)

Anywhoodle though, GO LAINA YOU GOT THIIIIIIIIS!

Tags: