Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Reality Tv.... Is it really real???  (Read 3783 times)

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:56:08 AM »
So as me and my girl were watching some On Demand, I couldn't help but question these shows' integrity. I mean ill use The Hero as an example. Now I've always been a fan of The Rock since his Rocky Maivia days. Now due to his inexplicable popularity it seems he can get away with doing a bogus challenge show. I was forcefully made to sit and watch this shyt with my girl (ill spare details) and I couldn't help but call bullshyt every chance given. I'm not a huge TV head but I mean this seems to be the only crap that even gets the most publicity. And to think there was a time when people would question the realness of WWF (people really died in that!) I just think that overall creativity for tv and movies is on a downward, mindless spiral due to things that are obviously not a reality.  :-\
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »
There's this reality show called "Beauty and the geek". The Israeli version is so damn staged it's hilarious.
The "beuties" are made to be stupid as a log, while the "geek" are so weird and anti-social it's almost embarresing to watch.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:55:52 AM »
I don't think it was ever really real. Or very few were. I suppose some of them were close to real. Kind of like (some) documentaries, but there's always something staged.

I'm surprised it's still going strong. How many different versions of people eating bat rectums, losing weight and acting like idiots can they watch before they think they've had enough?

I think reality tv could be interesting, but whenever I check it out it's about food, rich mouth breathers  or decorating.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:01:01 AM by A-Yty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »
I prefer not to watch reality TV. If I want reality I'll just go take walk outside and there it is.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:42:10 AM »
+2
The only reality TV show I've ever liked was Cops

At least you know that one isn't staged. 

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
Well ti was kinda staged. They didn't always show everything the cops said. You rarely saw the cops violating regulations -- that'd almost always get cut out.

I like the talent shows, but I just watch them on YouTube. No point wasting an hour of my night watching them. I'd rather waste an hour of my night watching tokusatsu.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 05:54:03 AM »
+1
I haven't had cable for the better part of 10 years, and the last time I remember watching any tv regularly was around 2007. (I watched a lot of those spike tv "Ninja Warrior" marathons while working a certain job... for some reason.) But I can tell you that 1.) "Reality" TV is mostly obviously staged with the odd interesting but unscripted moment from the reams of footage thrown in. 2.) They make it because it's (relatively) dirt cheap. Who cares if the "stars" are shitty actors? It just adds to the "realism" and the audience thinking the events are real means you don't have to spend a lot of time and money on writing/plots. Sure reality shows still cost a lot of money to make but consider that some "stars" on crappy sitcoms can command a million dollars or more per episode, and that's on top of paying all the other actors, writers, crew, constructing the sets etc. Where with reality tv all you have to do is hold a talent show, or rent a mansion and hire some attractive but somehow noticeably flawed people for the audience to feel superior to.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
I am always surprised reality tv is still around, because i always associated that phenomenon with the early-to-mid 00's. I guess because they're so cheap to make they don't necessarily need high ratings and can easily be used as filler, the same reason they're so many dull found-footage horror movies that clog up Netflix.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:54 AM »
Ugh Netflix. I think I have watch pretty much everything on there. I just think that reality shows have too strong of a backing to be gone anytime soon.
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
Well if reality TV is here to stay then hopefully it won't escalate into some like we see in The Running Man. That would violate a number of human rights and laws.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
Well if reality TV is here to stay then hopefully it won't escalate into some like we see in The Running Man. That would violate a number of human rights and laws.

Never say never.

But I'd expect the first one to do something like that be a drug cartel kingpin or something.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »
I didn't  ;)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »
Well ti was kinda staged. They didn't always show everything the cops said. You rarely saw the cops violating regulations -- that'd almost always get cut out.
It's actually a fairly realistic portrayal of law enforcement.  They don't show the paperwork, and they only show the highlights (so you don't see the down-time when they're driving to a call or looking for traffic/suspicious vehicles/crimes in progress), but I don't think there was a lot of "let's cut out the rampant corruption in policework."  That's largely an element of fiction today anyway, played up by high-profile and out-of-context incidents like Rodney King and turned into quality entertainment on TV.

Back on topic, I don't watch any TV, except for Packer games.  I do catch a little reality TV once in awhile, like when I'm over at other peoples' houses.  I think it's almost entirely fictional and staged.  My wife watches the 16 & Pregnant/Teen Mom series, so I can't help but see bits of it.  And that one is definitely staged.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 07:48:13 AM »
That teen mom show drives me nuts as well. I don't see how someone can become addicted to television that delves into a teenage mothers life. Everyone has problems but u don't see tv shows about everything. (Wait now that I think about it.....)
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Tags: