Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Origin of these X68000 floppy disks from the game "Akumajo Dracula"  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Trev_X68000

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards

A few years ago I've gotten a hold on these disks for the Sharp X68000. Back then I tested them and they used to work just fine.

For a while now I keep wondering why these disks look a little bit different than the ones I usually see on eBay and the internet. My disks have written in Hepburn romanization the words "Akumajo Dracula" on them. All others pictures of the disks I see online have that missing.

I have attached a picture of them. Does anybody know anything about the origin of these disks?

Thank you very much. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:37:02 AM by Trev_X68000 »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Origin of these X68000 floppy disks from the game "Akumajo Dracula"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 06:41:19 AM »
Do you have any of the packaging it came in? Was there more?
Everything I can see in the picture looks official except for the, "AKUMAJO DRACULA". Perhaps it's a reproduction? I haven't seen any repros for the x68000 but I can imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to do it with floppies.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Trev_X68000

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 07:08:23 AM »
Do you have any of the packaging it came in? Was there more?
No, unfortunately I only have the disks. I also thought that they could be repros but I never saw anything like them. Maybe they are some kind of prototype or for some other region?

I really hope that someone can help identifying them.

(For information purposes, it should be mentioned that I also posted this question on reddit and I will update this thread if I get any news.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:26:03 AM by Trev_X68000 »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »
I believe Luxkiller owns a prototype/demo of this game, but that one ended after only one stage. I assume that's not the case here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:36:42 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Trev_X68000

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 09:52:22 AM »
That is a great hint. To be honest I actually never really played it. I just started the game to check if the game would load and tried to play it for a little bit. I don't think I ever passed the first stage. I updated my first post to make that clearer - sorry for any confusion about that.

But wouldn't a Demo/Prototype only have one disk?

Offline Trev_X68000

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 11:07:45 AM »
..., but that one ended after only one stage. I assume that's not the case here.
I got curious after reading that. So I fired up my X68000 Emulator and played it to find out. I got pass the first boss (that giant bat) so I assume that was the first stage.

Maybe my disks where part of a press kit or something like that.  :-\

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 07:41:55 AM »
I've seen these before and they're definitely homemade labels. Not sure if the original intent was to make money reselling them or just make floppy copies prettier with a label.

That horrible font, missing (R) after Konami, label size wrong, label cutting, all edges of label lifting up, the font of "A" and "B" completely different from what it should be, Konami Corporation instead of Konami, Japanese title missing the (R) again, whew.

The demo disc looks similar to the Bloodlines protos in terms of label style, I've seen 2 so far and they look authentic, the content is also undumped as far as I know.

Offline Trev_X68000

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 10:24:21 PM »
Thank you very much for your time and answer.  :)

Tags: x68000 Sharp 

anything