Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Turtles Collection Incoming  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2022, 10:07:39 AM »
That's def the one I'm thinking of. Thanks, PFG! Blast from the past. 8)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 10:28:12 AM »
That's def the one I'm thinking of. Thanks, PFG! Blast from the past. 8)
Sweet!  There's a lot of his artwork at https://retrographicbooks.com/about-tomdubois.

PFG9000@

I.. don't think that is it. The image I remember was done entirely by DuBois.
????????????
I was replying to Freak.  Dunno which image you were looking for, but I bet you could find it at the link above.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 11:12:59 AM »
I love Tom DuBois's art.  I talked with some dude at a game convention a few years back.  He claimed to be Tom's agent, and he said Tom was working on collecting his work so that he could compile it into an art book.  Now that it's a few years later and nothing else has come of it, I wonder if he was legit.

I did buy this shitty-quality-but-still-cool print of the Dracula's Curse cover art from the guy.  Looks alright in my game room.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
That's gotta be the same dude who posted on this board saying he knew who the artist was but wouldn't reveal it. (He did the same at a popular TMNT board.) Said he was in the plans of doing an artbook but nothing's come of it. Runs the "official" duBois Twitter account, too, and I think might've been in the My Life in Gaming mini-documentary briefly. Apparently he's duBois' friend now and it's cool we got to know the elusive artist after all this time, but it's still a weird situation and it's hee-larious that shitty low-quality art prints are being sold. Honestly, duBois' work deserves better.

But, he's doing some sweet LRG commissions now so that's good. I love all the attention he's been getting and all the new art that's resulted from it. I've thought for a while that his "agent" wanted to buy up all the original art before doing the big reveal, otherwise others may have swooped in to buy some of it for themselves.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2022, 10:19:18 AM »
I was replying to Freak.  Dunno which image you were looking for, but I bet you could find it at the link above.

Yep, I know. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the image I was thinking of, I didn't find it. Then again it's been over twenty-five years since I last saw it so who knows. That website however is loaded with awesome images! There are some that I didn't think he actually did  :o  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2022, 11:36:04 AM »
I'm a little surprised to see TMNT II: The Arcade Game on NES there. I always figured that was done by Steve Lavigne and Ryan Brown, since it closely resembles their style, but something always felt different about the poses and sense of action. DuBois' stuff has a lot of movement in it with incredible line of action, so it actually makes sense that he illustrated it.

It's fun seeing the Sparkster design sketches. I think he said that was the only time he had a hand in actually designing a character for Konami.

Edit: I asked about the TMNT2 box art and was told duBois painted the brick background, and likely the other BGs for that promo art but not the Turtles. So those may still be drawn by Mirage Studios' Lavigne/Brown. You can usually tell their work by the way they draw their heads and knuckles.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 06:44:10 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: