Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Design-a-Boss! (CV2 Final Boss Edition)  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: April 02, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
Most of us know, Dracula's final boss form in CV2 is... well, let's just say he's not that much of a boss.
If you had the power to redesign or add another form, within the context of the game, what would it be like?

Would you go the Harmony of Dissonance route and make it a disembodied bunch of parts (spoiler?), or would you go more of a ghostly wraith? (he's already kinda there in CV2).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
Re: Design-a-Boss! (CV2 Final Boss Edition)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »
Take a page from the later games. Have Dracula summon the spirits of four of the bosses from the previous game -- Frankie, Mummy, Bat, and Medusa -- one at a time before a final, demonic form.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
I really like the idea of CV2 as more of a horror game than the rest so,,, perhaps a background tile-based boss. A giant demon embedded in the castle wall, with all kinds of crazy magical attacks. Defeat him by severing each of his 4 arms, and then the head. idk.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »
I really like the idea of CV2 as more of a horror game than the rest so
A bit off topic, but I've always wondered what Castlevania would be like if it had gone full on horror. I mean, how would one even pull off making you feel like a powerful Belmont and at the same time make you feel fear, helplessness... So far the closest we've got to horror is SC4 with it's spooky atmospheric music(also SotN and LoI in a few places.

perhaps a background tile-based boss. A giant demon embedded in the castle wall, with all kinds of crazy magical attacks. Defeat him by severing each of his 4 arms, and then the head. idk.
Nice.

Also let his presence be known before you even meet him. I don't know how to put it much better. So like, the moment you enter his ruined castle you feel a different atmosphere. The closer you get to him the more "off" everything feels. Mess with player's mind, but also add some spooks. Now this trope has probably been overused, but there's probably a thing or two you can do to keep it fresh. Mess with the controls, make him run around in circles, ambush him when he least expects it.
That's the best I can put it.

As for the boss itself, kinda like what bloo said, but dunno.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:39:54 PM by Holy Diver »
Gotta get away

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 12:05:05 AM »
I don't how the fight would go, but a second phase where Dracula absorbs Simon's curse as a last-ditch powerup would be pretty cool.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 10:19:52 AM »
I don't how the fight would go, but a second phase where Dracula absorbs Simon's curse as a last-ditch powerup would be pretty cool.

I'd second this.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 04:54:17 PM »
Believe it or not, I wanted something of the sort for the end of Curse of Darkness.

To be honest, the end of that game disappointed me. I DO love the bit how, pre-CoD, it took 100 years for Dracula to be resurrected in full. I'd keep that had I been in charge of the story. My ending would be with Isaac being used as the vessel for Dracula (same as CoD, but his appearance would be Isaac with the energy silhouette of Dracula's form), but when Hector defeats him, Dracula's spirit is sent back into the abyss (no second form) and with the Curse lingering, Hector uses his Devil Forging abilities to transform the curse, not into something harmless like in the game (because I'd say that devil forgemasters could only forge physical monstrosities from evil energy), but into a singular form of evil, a giant beast made up of multiple demons, heads, arms and such. I'm visualizing something akin to a CV-take on Neo-Exdeath (Final Fantasy V) and less Menace from DoS.

Now getting back to CV2, had I designed the game, Dracula's Ghost's first form would look more like Dracula and less like Death. After the first form's defeat, Dracula's Ghost would pull all his remaining power and transform into something similar to HoD but more modeled after the final form of the final boss of Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES). Simon will be warped to a dimension of darkness (black background) and Dracula will appear as a giant demon with is own demonic face attached to a giant, rotted skeletal body, chest ribs open, giant heart beating (weak point), and massive floating hands with sharp claws, a giant eyeball that appears in his mouth that shoots out beams and sharp bones shooting out from his spine. He appears in three places, the right of the screen, the left of the screen, and from above. Right or left, he'll function the same, attacking then exposing his heart for damage. When he appears above (like his head is peaking down from above the screen), he'll drop deadly wads of blood on Simon.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 09:48:31 PM »
DragonSlayr81@

Was this idea conceived over time or was it an in-the-moment thing? Cause it sounds awesome  8)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 02:12:23 PM »
DragonSlayr81@

Was this idea conceived over time or was it an in-the-moment thing? Cause it sounds awesome  8)
About which one? The CV2 one was sorta spur-of-the-moment after first stumbling upon this thread, but the hint of the idea was kinda always there. I was one of those folk here that, back in the day, came up with their own bosses for the bossless mansions in CV2.

For CoD, it was literally something that started as speculation while I was playing it when it came out (the whole bit about Dracula's resurrection failing and some other demonic thing being the REAL final boss) and something I kinda expanded upon after I finished the game.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
CV2 actually. It still sounds cool  :)

Tags: