Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Fan Stuff / Re: Here's how to edit NES Castlevania's hidden items
« Last post by X on June 23, 2022, 09:42:30 AM »
shoes, coffee, kittens, or love letter

These I did not know about. The rest I apparently did as they were indicated on game maps.
Fan Stuff / Here's how to edit NES Castlevania's hidden items
« Last post by TheouAegis on June 22, 2022, 11:58:32 PM »
I'm sure some of you will be happy that I was working with the US release, which I'm sure is what 99% of modders are using.

Open the US ROM and jump to address $018048. It should be 0xB6DA1A00. This is the very first hidden item in the game. Each set of items is terminated by 0xFF, so you could potentially have 8 hidden items per stage. The status of a hidden item is bitmasked in RAM address $0144. The neighboring RAM address $0145 is used to keep track of how long Simon stays in place when necessary.

Here are the pointers for each stage (excluding Hard Mode numbering). This address map can be found at 0x01FC48 in the US ROM. Add #018010 to each pointer to find its corresponding address in the ROM. A lot of these just point to terminal #FF.
8038    Stage 00
804A    Stage 01
8041    Stage 02
804F    Stage 03
83FB    Stage 04
8400    Stage 05
8409    Stage 06
8556    Stage 07
8548    Stage 08
8551    Stage 09
87A0    Stage 10
87A0    Stage 11
87A0    Stage 12
89AF    Stage 13
89B4    Stage 14
89C0    Stage 15
8AE5    Stage 16
8AE1    Stage 17
8B39    Stage 18

Item definitions are in the following bitmasked format:
YYYYDMML XXXXXSSS VVVVHHHH IIIIIIII

Y = Y-coordinate
D = Difficulty
M = Mode
L = Level
X = X-coordinate
S = Screen (i.e., X div 256)
V = Vertical offset
H = Horizontal offset
I = Item number

Both X and Y are handled as-is (no arithmetic) and correspond to where Simon must posture. In other words, Y is always a multiple of 16 and X is a multiple of 8. Both V and H can be thought of in terms of 16*V or 16*H and refer to the position the item itself will spawn, relative to Simon.

There are 4 modes. Mode 0 requires Simon to stand still for 2 seconds. Mode 1 is just a quick duck at the spawn zone. Mode 2 requires Simon to stay in place while holding left or right for 2 seconds (this can be done while ducking, or by walking into a wall). Mode 3 just means Simon merely has to walk over the spawn area.

The Item numbers are as follows. Note that descriptions are based on Stage 04's sprites.
#00    Coins
#01    1UP
#02    Crown
#03    Chest
#04    Moai
I haven't found a way to get the shoes, coffee, kittens, or love letter. Then again, I didn't really take the time to test out all 256 possible item numbers.

Carpathian Night is my biggest achievement ever. I've never worked so hard for anything else before in my life.
Off Topic / Re: What anime are you currently watching....
« Last post by Shiroi Koumori on June 21, 2022, 12:24:23 AM »
Currently, Spy X Family. It's funny!!
Off Topic / Re: Comix
« Last post by JR on June 20, 2022, 07:48:43 PM »
I just went through a bunch of Nightwing Rebirth issues. Dick Grayson is one of my favorite DC characters, but I think he's doomed to perpetually be in a bunch of mediocre story arcs. So disappointing.

Took a break from that to catch up on Daredevil. In the middle of Soule's run. It's...fine, but not terribly exciting. At least it's a lot better than Mark Waid's dumpster fire (and I think I'm the only person on planet Earth who hated Waid's run).

Checked out DC issues of Masters of the Universe. It's pretty mediocre, too. Still gonna finish it for...some stupid reason.

Sex Criminals vol. 1 was pretty good. A guy and a girl can stop time when they have sex, so they go rob some banks. I do want to pick up vol. 2 soon.

Might go back and read some Marshal Law. The story is very similar to The Boys, but came out way earlier. The Public Spirit arc was pretty awesome. Just a total piss take on superheroes in general, written by a guy who hates the concept of superheroes. Going back to Alan Moore, it's stuff like this that makes me wish his Twilight of the Superheroes story was greenlit many years ago. Marshal Law is definitely a similar perspective to that.

I gotta pick up some more volumes of Mike Grell's run on Green Arrow, too. Loved his run so much. The Longbow Hunters, and the subsequent volumes, are just a really great take on the character. I'm a shameless sucker for 80's grimdark stuff.
I'm not sure that will happen but I'd really like it if it did. I really want there to be some way to separate Moonlight Boy from Griffith so that Guts (and Casca!) can fight their betrayer without hurting their son.

I’m not certain it will happen (not now) either, but I do believe it would be fitting (given that SK seems to pop up at temporal junction points of causality) if SK had simply gotten the previous instance of attacking Griffith wrong>inadvertently creating the world tree>which Griffith/MLC then used to travel>only to end up at a new temporal junction point where Griffith himself allowed his body to be struck, not out of weakness, rather out of innocence/ being carefree & sharing the MLC’s body… 🥀🛡 ⚔️ 💀 ⚔️ 🛡🥀
Prediction: SK is going to slash Griffith/ Moonlight Child mid-transformation with the Sword of Actuation to separate the two from existing as one being…

I'm not sure that will happen but I'd really like it if it did. I really want there to be some way to separate Moonlight Boy from Griffith so that Guts (and Casca!) can fight their betrayer without hurting their son.
General Castlevania Discussion / Re: What is your biggest Castlevania achievment?
« Last post by Hayoam on June 19, 2022, 02:10:33 PM »
Playing Harmony of Despair for countless hours mastering each character.
And most important of all mastered jump kick wall glitching.
Glitching to Ryukotsuki in the beginning of Chapter 11 (Hard) as Richter with full team and killing him before any of the annoying Dual Valmanway +1 Somas arrive was so satisfying lmao. I consider that a challenge and a great achievement.

General Castlevania Discussion / Re: What is your biggest Castlevania achievment?
« Last post by Sindra on June 18, 2022, 03:23:39 PM »
Sindra@

I'm still waiting to see if you'd do a video on that recently released CV document of the original timeline/plan before IGA took over  :)

The one in the Bloodlines FAX? If so, yeah, I need to start writing up a script for that one.

I also need more hours in the day that don't suck my souls like my day job, lol.
« Last post by X on June 18, 2022, 12:22:58 PM »
Sindra@

I'm still waiting to see if you'd do a video on that recently released CV document of the original timeline/plan before IGA took over  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
anything