Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dmitrii Blinov - A Lost Opportunity  (Read 12724 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« on: November 09, 2014, 05:50:05 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks that Dmitrii Blinov was a brilliant opportunity to bring Dracula back, completelly wasted?

I mean, bear with me:

Dmitrii is a prideful, arrogant guy. He sets up an incredible gamble just so he can truly become Dracula, and actually succeeds.
On that Doppelganger scene, I just think it was the perfect moment to set up Dracula's return.

I know Soma is Dracula, but Soma actually feels more like he's a separate entity from what Dracula is. Dmitrii fits the role to become the new vessel perfectly well! He could've "copied" Dracula's soul, or have been outright corrupted by it, with Dracula's soul acting as a parasite when he escaped Soma's body. Dmitrii even had Dracula's memories, dang it.

At the end of the game it would be incredible if he turned into Dracula himself after sacrificing Celia, and the outcome of the battle actually negated Soma's dominance forever, effectivelly bringing Dracula back.

Think about this: Aren't the Dark Lord Candidates born with shards of Dracula's power, because Dracula actually "expelled" his power upon his Death? This could've been his gambit to survive all along, just like Dmitrii did! He did it on purpose, so he could be reawakened when his true soul (Soma) came in contact with the candidates, and defeated them. Then Dmitrii would do the same thing and actually enter Soma's body, but be corrupted inside and come out carrying Dracula. So Dracula did a gamble that was having Dmitrii do a gamble in the future to assure his return.

But nothing like that happened... It was disappointing for me, really. I reaaaaaaally wanted something else to come after Dawn of Sorrow, and have Soma removed from the story, having Dracula himself return.

I, personally, think this was a terribly wasted opportunity. One can dream...

What do you dudes think?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:21:28 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 06:03:37 AM »
Indeed, he even copied all Dracula memories and that is the funniest part because if he had all this knowledge, he should know that he couldn't abuse of all his abilities until he became stronger. But what about Dario? He is stupid and all, but he is still alive. Even if they say that they sealed his powers, maybe its a lie and he can still use it like Soma does.

IMO they should ressurect Graham, he have a lot of followers already and can absorb souls like Soma does without imploding.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:05:36 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 06:40:50 AM »
It could have been interesting, with Dmitrii copying Dracula almost completely, but not actually being Dracula, which only Soma can actually be.  The way I see it, Soma is a full reincarnation of Dracula's soul, rather than a resurrection of Dracula.  What makes him not Dracula is that he's lived a new life from scratch, and been shaped into a different person of sorts.  The only way that Dmitrii could have even a hope of doing this would be trying to steal Dracula's soul, but that would lead to a battle of wills, and Dracula would obviously win.  Yes, he could overtake Dmitrii's body if removed fom his own, but wouldn't he just prefer to stay/return to his own?  The process would likely kill his human body, forcing him to return to being a vampire, even though he's stated himself that he's happy living a human life again.  Cue an angry and pissed off Dracula once again.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:37:39 AM »
I've always seen the Sorrow games as the perfect opportunity to move away from the Dracula plotline, so I disagree with people who say they should bring him back. You can only do repeat a plot formula so many times before it gets stale. Moving away from the status quo would be a good thing. Otherwise just do a reboot. 

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:22:35 AM »
+2
An interesting concept, but...Dmitrii can't possibly become Dracula. Dracula has an actual sense of fashion.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »
I loved the Sorrow games, and must admit that I was sad to not see the plot arc continued. I always felt that there was an opportunity to bring Walter and possibly Joachim back, as a result of the presumed destruction of the Crimson Stone.  Walter wants revenge on Mathias for trapping his soul in the stone for nearly a millennia, and so could easily be behind all sorts of nefarious plots.  He could even be behind sending a number of the cults after Soma and co, using the cover trying to persuade them to resurrect Dracula.  After all, he wants both Mathias, and the Belmonts, to pay for what they did, and take everything away from them.  He could even be wanting to push Soma back into becoming Dracula, knowing that he now wants to live as a human, or just that he wants his old power back, and so make him a vampire once more and then take his soul and power for himself, as Mathias did to him.

By doing this, there could be a lot of chances to take the series in fresh, new directions, whilst still keeping its roots firmly entrenched in all of its history.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:25:31 AM by tatteredseraph »
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 12:05:53 PM »
I feel the entirety of DoS was a wasted opportunity. Dmitrii could have become the next Dark Lord but he could never be Dracula as 'Dracula' is not a title but Soma's past-life and sir name.

I know Soma is Dracula, but Soma actually feels more like he's a separate entity from what Dracula is. Dmitrii fits the role to become the new vessel perfectly well! He could've "copied" Dracula's soul, or have been outright corrupted by it, with Dracula's soul acting as a parasite when he escaped Soma's body. Dmitrii even had Dracula's memories, dang it.

I see what you're trying to enplane here but in terms of copying the soul, that is impossible on all levels. Every soul is unique and does not conform to any laws that we know of or can theorize. The soul is non-liner, non-mechanistic and non-Newtonian, and therefore cannot be copied nor duplicated. While Dmitrii did copy Soma's ability to steal souls of monsters it eventually failed. And that is because Dmitrii is not Soma (Dracula). He does not have the inborn ability to steal the souls of monsters no-matter how much he tried to 'copy' Soma's ability. And through his own arrogance, he killed himself.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »
Dmitrii

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
DoS is a lost opportunity.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
IMO they should ressurect Graham, he have a lot of followers already and can absorb souls like Soma does without imploding.
I would've loved to see more from Graham Jones. He has the perfect preacher/cult leader name(Billy Graham mixed with Jim Jones) and looks the part(I always thought he'd speak with a sorta Southern accent). I always though, next to Soma(who is the actual reincarnation of Dracula), Graham was the second strongest "dark lord candidates" of them all. Would be cool if he resurrected, claiming himself to be a sort of "new messiah" anti-Christ figure in the world without Dracula. Would've also loved to know more about his cult.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:25:17 AM »
DoS is a lost opportunity.

Yeah. The Sorrow games were very promising.
There were a lot of things that could make DoS a great game but due to (1) IGA's love for gameplay first before story, and the (2) rapid development turnover schedule required by Konami, we can only sigh and think of the what ifs.

I always felt that there was an opportunity to bring Walter and possibly Joachim back, as a result of the presumed destruction of the Crimson Stone. 

Oh yes, yes, bring them back.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »
@Laylgax

Hehehe. Dark Stalker's Dmitrii. He'd still have his @$$ handed to him by the Belmont's if he was ever in a CV game.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 06:31:15 AM »
Dmitrii's persona is wasted on his fashion sense, it's just terrible.

Duplicate/ Mirror are the key words here. I just don't think what Soma (Dracula) is can be superseded by a copy. Inevitably, something will go awry in the process. Most notably his soul not being able to handle what Soma's can. This is interesting, as DOS is not actually based in Castlevania, so why are all these random monsters materialising in this duplicate castle.. Okay so maybe they're being summoned by the 3 antagonists, there is after all a physical connection with the underworld in the castle. But wouldn't Castlevania be the place for the monsters to revive with their dark lord, rather than some abandoned theme park of a replica castle? I dunno, who knows. Games don't have to make perfect logistical sense and I'm fine with that! 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
Wait...wasn't it Castlevania that was sealed?  It's been awhile, so I don't even really remember...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »
Castlevanis was sealed inside the eclipse in AoS. In DoS the castle the game takes place in is an abandoned amusement park meant to cater to the old horror fiction the was prevalent throughout the 20th century. However the park wasn't successful and was shut down. Then the cult moved in and made it their base of operations. In short there is no castlevania in DoS, just a look-a-like.

Tags:

anything