Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SC4 "classic" Hack?  (Read 9404 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
I've had this after after seeing egoraptor's sequelitis. He claims the games sloppy because the whip is OP, making the subweapons pointless. He claims instead of making a classic Castlevania game and adding the multi whip, they should've made levels tailored towards the whipping in the game.

The idea is: A hack that could disable the multi whip and keep it just left and right. I don't think anyone wants the midair control gone though lol.

I know there are TONS of ROM hack for NES games, but I haven't seen any SNES game hacks personally. I'm no coder, and I'm not pretending this will be simple at all and any chance of this happening is extremely slip, but just think how this could be a really fun idea to see how the game could've been like without multi whipping.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »
you need the diagonal whip in the clock tower stage, i didnt know how to whip that bat to go up, and if you want something like that just dont use the diagonals, up and down attack, just use the left and right, i made that and reach to the clock tower.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
If you make a hack to disable the 8-directional whipping, then yeah, you're going to get stuck at the clock tower stage. There are at least two parts where you must whip up or diagonally in order to catch the bat rings. It cannot be avoided without altering the stage itself.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »
I've had this after after seeing egoraptor's sequelitis. He claims the games sloppy because the whip is OP, making the subweapons pointless. He claims instead of making a classic Castlevania game and adding the multi whip, they should've made levels tailored towards the whipping in the game

You know you're an elite gamer Dark Souls edgelord when you think more playing options and fluid controls is a weakness against the game.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
You know you're an elite gamer Dark Souls edgelord when you think more playing options and fluid controls is a weakness against the game.

He's way more into the 1st and 3rd games playstyle, and he said he thinks Dracula X SNES is WAY better than 4. At the same time, he doesn't know 1.) Sub weapons can make enemies and bosses die instantly in some cases, proving helpful 2.) If itIf it wasn't in the game in the first place it wouldn't be as differentiated or new (I'm glad as hell they implemented it personally, and I LOVE it! I think a hack like this would be fun for a play through the) and 3.) He's a f*cking nitpicker. If u watch his Zelda OOT video, he basically says the game is horrible because of little things like the npcs telling you where to go next (!?) And some enemies not being super threatening. To each their own, but he is a self I dulgent asshole a lot, and he's one of the reasons I haven't touched a gamegrumps vid in ages.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:27:34 AM »
Are you guys sure? I played the game last weekend and I think it's manageable to get to the two spots I believe you're thinking of with a jump and straight whip. I could be wrong. Even in that case, you could probably go into "defense" or "twirl" mode and swing it upward to hook on.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
Check 41:05, thats what im saying and its the only one as far i remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5SQSXoDBgE

i made this video since someone a long ago have that question: can you finish super castlevania IV without the diagonals whip? and stil i dont know how to grab the bat there and i dont use the defense since thats not from the clasic castlevania, in that video show how to pass almost all the parts without the diagonals but that clock tower ruins my plan to make that.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
Even in that case, you could probably go into "defense" or "twirl" mode and swing it upward to hook on.

Even using defense mode you would be aiming your whip strike at and angle. I saw the vid and there's no way to latch onto that one bat ring without A.) The defense mode whip twirling. And B.) Diagonal or straight-up whip attacking it. So the 8-directional whipping is necessary, even if it's only just for one small part of the game (which will stop you from progressing otherwise without it).
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »
perhaps hack that ring and put a little below?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »
perhaps hack that ring and put a little below?

Exactly the other point I made. The stage would need to be altered a bit along with removing the 8-directional whipping ability. Only in this way could you play through the whole game.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
I feel like such an idiot, I thought you guys meant the ones that go vertically up, completely forgot about the part you guys are mentioning ;D. Plus with the defense mode tactic, you'd be on a spinning gear so it'd be extremely difficult anyway, and true, the game would have to be altered a slight bit.

Offline Ralph

• Professional Lurker
  • Master Hunter
  • Hai.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Ralphy's Nonsense
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »
+1
The subweapons aren't pointless.

The cross boomerang with triple shot is significantly stronger than the whip, and proper cross abuse is the reason people are able to speed run the game in around 30 minutes.
A wild Ralph appears.
Wild Ralph uses Teleport.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
8-way whipping is the funnest CV feature ever in my opinion. A hack to remove that is like a hack to take the sugar out of a cake.

All I can think is why the hell would you want to do that!? That would just make CV4 like the other games. And I think as it is cv4 is a cut above those.

The game great as it is. Don't remove features of it that make it great!

The sub weapons certainly aren't useless. They're just not as important as they are in other cv's and that's fine. It doesnt make the game out of balance. It's just balanced differently.

Please abandon this sacrilegious idea.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »
8-way whipping is the funnest CV feature ever in my opinion. A hack to remove that is like a hack to take the sugar out of a cake.
All I can think is why the hell would you want to do that!? That would just make CV4 like the other games. And I think as it is cv4 is a cut above those.
The game great as it is. Don't remove features of it that make it great!
The sub weapons certainly aren't useless. They're just not as important as they are in other cv's and that's fine. It doesnt make the game out of balance. It's just balanced differently.
Please abandon this sacrilegious idea.

I completely agree. However, the OP seems to reference the Castlevania episode of Sequelitis, and I'll be the first to admit that I pretty much completely disagreed with Egoraptor on that video. Platformers don't need arbitrary control restrictions to make them difficult, and perhaps that's why I have so much trouble playing the older Castlevania games.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:55:59 PM by ProjectDread »

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »
I completely agree. However, the OP seems to reference the Castlevania episode of Sequelitis, and I'll be the first to admit that I pretty much completely disagreed with Egoraptor on that video. Platformers don't need arbitrary control restrictions to make them difficult, and perhaps that's why I have so much trouble playing the older Castlevania games.

I got this idea purely from egorator's video. I thought "Says it's inferior for things that arguably make it better.", so I thought it would be a fun idea to "trilogify" 4, just to see how it might handle.

Don't get me wrong, guys, I LOVE the game, hell, it's my favorite game of all time, but it's always fun to play around with older games using hacks. I remember someone patched The Adventure and made Chris move a good speed, and getting hit does't reduce your whip, making the game MUCH more enjoyable and fair (difference here, it would make 4 more challenging instead of fixing unfair bits).

And obviously the control too, with the only better controls in a game I've personally experienced are SOTN's, and having better controls can make a game more enjoyable and satisfying to play. And egoraptor missed the point when he made fun of people calling the old game's control "unnacceptable". Sure, some people do say that, but it's more that people would rather play a game they can easily pick up and play. The genius thing about the trilogy is how the game is built around the "stiff" control, but some people just prefer to have fun playing a game instead of being constantly challenged by a game. Egoraptor clearly prefers 1 and 3 (hell, he said he prefers Dracula XX over SC4).

Plus, say he played a hack like this, I think he'd say the SC4 playstyle and control is better and would kinda miss them. Eh, idk, just thought it'd be a fun idea, not saying the game is flawed or shit, it is just about perfect in my eyes.

P.s., the part he says "When did u ever use the knife?"... You're a f*cking idiot! Who the Hell uses the knife in 2 or 3 either !? I use the knife more in 4 than I would in 1 and 3! The only parts I'd say the knife is useful in either is in 3 when you use it to electrocute the cyclopes boss with lightening, which is EXTREMELY hard to do.

Tags:

anything