Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: On the other hand...  (Read 18143 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
What if, instead of what I said in the previous thread, the next Castlevania team decides to go full anime and the game ends up resembling more current anime designs than traditional Castlevania?

How would biggest Iga fans react? Would they like it or would they believe it is also too much?

Please don't fight, I'm just making new fun threads  :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
What if, instead of what I said in the previous thread, the next Castlevania team decides to go full anime and the game ends up resembling more current anime designs than traditional Castlevania?

How would biggest Iga fans react? Would they like it or would they believe it is also too much?

Like anime anime? I'd feel bummed !

Everything comes full circle

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »
It would be much better than LoS IMO if they dont try to cross the line. Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are okay for me, but if they go far from that I really dont know what could happen (maybe it could be good, but its a risk).

So SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
It only depends of what type of anime they would be emulating. If it's something dark, not goofy, then I would be okay with it. I prefer if they don't go this way, though. Western market is the one who buys CV in the first place, so anime won't bring any benefit to the series.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
oh god imagine a Moe style Castlevania....

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »
oh god imagine a Moe style Castlevania....

Kid Dracula says hello :D
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:28:03 PM »
+4

I'm sorry, I can't hear you......

...over the sound of how awesome that could be. (if done right)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »
Full anime? Oh no, I don't think I'd like that at all. Of course, if they were to nail the rest, I wouldn't complain as much; but I already have trouble with DoS and PoR's art design, and anime is the reason why RoB isn't as high on my list as it should be. I love anime, but not for Castlevania.
No, I don't think I could stand a full anime Castlevania. Whatever was wrong with Kojima's art?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »
Depends on what 'full anime' style they go with. If ever, it'll need to retain CV's Gothic trappings and atmosphere, with none to very light humor. And none of what they tried with DOS and POR.

Especially POR. Charlotte's Angry Face haunts me still.  :rollseyes:

Kid Dracula says hello :D

And Otomedius by way of Kokoro.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »

As much as I enjoy IGA's games...

No. NO. Nooooooo. Non. Nein. Nyet. Iie. Nao.

Nope.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »
+1
Whatever was wrong with Kojima's art?

It is a "What if" scenario, so disregard the "why's" in it, its not made to make sense if I understood it right. Its only for see what type of reception it would receive, Ayame Kojima art is awesome. xD

Especially POR. Charlotte's Angry Face haunts me still.  :rollseyes:

Yes, the main problem are these emoticon faces. But its okay for me if the game is good.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »
Whatever was wrong with Kojima's art?

Too many androgynous men with rather deformed body forms. Everything else seems good.

I wouldn't mind an anime style CV once more. But I think the main thing is that 1# if it takes on a more serious stylization, say something like Vampire hunter D: Bloodlust? And 2# if the story was done really well in order to overlook the faults of the art style in case it's more along the lines of PoR or DoS.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »
Bring Yoshitaka Amano on board, then we'll talk. Like, just looking through the Front Mission World Historica, it's like clear as day when he stopped working on Front Mission and I just didn't like the character designs after he left. They're still good, but his art has a certain melancholic touch to it that fit so well with his works like early Final Fantasy, Front Mission, Vampire Hunter D, and Angel Egg.

I didn't like Bloodlust's style. I liked Madhouse when they worked with Satoshi Kon. But I didn't like their style in Bloodlust.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:12:49 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
PoR is my favourite CV, but yes, it is a "what if" scenario.
Kojima rules.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »
Too many androgynous men with rather deformed body forms.
I'll grant you that. But it's the best we have.
Even so, take Kojima's Aria cast, and place it next to what was done in Dawn. It isn't even comparable.

The point is, we haven't exactly seen anime Castlevania truly "done right". Think what you will about RoB, but DoS and PoR weren't exactly artistically stellar. Fundamentally, I wouldn't mind the transition, if it were done tastefully. But I can't quite picture it being done that way.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Tags: