Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
General Castlevania Discussion / Re: Localization stuff you liked?
« Last post by Abnormal Freak on June 08, 2024, 02:46:20 PM »
The original SOTN translation was good. Much better than the redo and all the handheld games where enemies have terribly generic names. At least SOTN brought some imagination into the mix.

Granfal(l)oon > Legion
General Castlevania Discussion / Re: Localization stuff you liked?
« Last post by Eric Roman on June 07, 2024, 12:24:50 PM »
Good post.

All of CastleVania III: Dracula's Curse, which fired my want for a Nintendo Entertainment System in the first place.  Akumajou Densetsu, in all its full un-emulated glory, arrived too late to be as impactful or creativity-inducing/defining as that game and the contemporary Nintendo Power coverage surrounding it. 

The English name of Dracula Densetsu II, CastleVania II: Belmont's RevengeRRRRRRGH.

How the voiceover performances of Symphony's First Edition have aged.  You guys got fucking Alucard to voice your fangame, fer chrissakes!
General Castlevania Discussion / Localization stuff you liked?
« Last post by Kaneda on June 07, 2024, 06:46:47 AM »
I know Konami gets a lot of flack for some of the questionable changes or additions they made in localizations. Those manuals are pretty ridiculous in the old days. But is there anything among all the crap that you do like?

For me...

*Calling the main weapon the "mystic whip". Vampire Killer is cool and all, but it sounds a bit modern for a game mostly set in the middle ages.

*Adding the "Tomb of Terror" detail into Dracula's grand plan in CVIII. Pretty metal.

*Making Super Castlevania IV a sequel. I've said it elsewhere, but I think it wraps up the loose ends from Simon's Quest and it's so vastly different from the original that reducing it to another retelling feels like a letdown.

*Giving some of the SCVIV bosses specific names rather than generics. I'm thinking Rowdain, Koranot, Sir Grakul, and Puweyxil. Not Paula Abghoul and Fred Askare.

What are yours?
It's stuck with Sony, unfortunately. Best we can see would be a PS5 remaster.
I really wish they'd release Bloodborne on PC or maybe the Switch successor.
AM2R is a fantastic game.
1000% better than the official remake.
I definitely like it better than Zero Mission and Fusion.
I dare say I even like it better than SM.
Fan Stuff / Re: Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles May 2013
« Last post by Aceearly1993 on June 05, 2024, 06:50:13 PM »
https://github.com/Aceearly1993/lecarde-1/releases/tag/v0.5.5

Microupdates on reported problems I don't know if they're sufficient.
Speaking of which, do any of you guys like the idea of having a new game embrace the soulslike formula? I've been thinking about it but im not sure it would work with CV tbh. If another big 3d game is made I'd rather have a DMC like combat, similar to LoI

Bloodborne is basically 3D SOTN done right. Other devs seem to be making the Castlevania games I'd wanna see.

I disagree with crisis on the Souls games being punishingly difficult. There's a learning curve, but once you get into the groove, they're insanely satisfying games bursting with great design, play mechanics, atmosphere, and lore. FromSoftware keeps old school Japanese game philosophy alive in the best of ways.
A lot of current anime have weird/useless collaborations in Japan and that's fine by me. It satiates the fans and give stuff for the hard core ones to do (like collecting those coasters/ whatever that they give out in collaboration cafes).
If the vania collabs brings in the money, I just hope Konami puts it in developing something new.

No harm in keeping the dream alive; I joke on it a LOT nowadays, but I feel the franchise is in a holding pattern for the time being. 

Holding. 

And being passed around. 

At least until some highly competent folk make something that can move the series beyond the Dracula X series which ran from 1993 to 1997 and became the entire identity of CastleVania like the multitude of excellent CastleVania 1 remakes were before that. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
anything