Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145805 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2014, 05:32:12 AM »
+1
Quote from: Foofy
Irregardless of this,

did foofy really just use this word in his argument?

Irregardless

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2014, 05:37:50 AM »
I'm calling IGA's next game title as musical term of something or something of musical term.  ;D

TransylCastle: Counterpoint to the Konami

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2014, 06:04:45 AM »
Maybe IGA will make games that he did before he handle Castlevania and possibly his true passion all along...........

Dating sims or visual novel ala Tokimeki Memorial.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2014, 08:06:04 AM »
+2
http://kotaku.com/the-challenge-of-leaving-castlevania-and-konami-behin-1544855373?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

His interview with Kotaku. It's pretty fascinating. He really did leave for the fans. He apparently requested to be moved from Castlevania to social games. And apparently Operation Akumajo may have had an effect: he cites the constant messages on Facebook for him to make another Metroidvania as a reason for striking out on his own. And you were right, Flame- the failure of his 3D Castlevania games was way he was passed over for Lords.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:09:04 AM by beingthehero »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
+1
Let's not rule out the possibility of something much better than SoTN given IGA now has creative time and space and no-one to answer to but himself.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2014, 08:19:16 AM »
+4
Respect x1000. I felt bad when he said he was depressed after leaving the series :(

Everything comes full circle

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2014, 08:19:42 AM »
+1
I asked Iga why he wasn't in charge of Lords of Shadow. "We made two 3D Castlevania games," he said. "And to be honest, they didn't turn out so well. Mercury Steam is very skilled at creating beautiful 3D images, so they were brought in to develop the game."

In 2010, Konami didn't quite yet have its own game engine that could handle Castlevania. Remember, this was years before the Fox Engine.

"Couldn't you still have been in charge?" I asked.

"It would've been difficult, with them in Europe and me in Japan," he said. "And since the quality for our 3D Castlevania games wasn't that high, it wasn't really our place to tell them how to do one. They had that expertise."

"Looking from the outside, I think they did a good job," Iga said. "But for many fans, they automatically think 2D when they hear Castlevania. So there's that to overcome."

"When we did our 3D versions, many fans said they preferred 2D. So because of that, it might be difficult to make 3D Castlevania games."

"Were you depressed when you were no longer in charge of Castlevania?" I asked.

"Yes, of course, I was depressed," he replied, grinning. "But, I am a huge Castlevania fan. I want there to be Castlevania games for the next one hundred years. I want them to continue making those games."

"Were you bitter?" I asked.

"Certainly not. I didn't create the franchise. It was something I worked on."

"But you made it your own."

"Well, this is the next phase of Castlevania," said Iga. "I have a lot to be grateful for because of Castlevania."

I really hope this line of questioning and his responses  can do a lot to temper much of the irrational spite, that Lords of Shadow as a series seems to garner.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2014, 08:41:58 AM »
Regardless of what people have said about his games, he really did care for Castlevania.

Quote from: Viskod
I really hope this line of questioning and his responses  can do a lot to temper much of the irrational spite, that Lords of Shadow as a series seems to garner.

I feel that the damage has long been done and they have made up their minds regarding the Lords of Shadow games.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
IGA is a real trooper.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
+1
He sounds far more passionate here than years ago, but yeah we never doubted the man intentions, he liked the series a lor, wether we agreed or not with his reasoning is another thing. I'm still sad that we never got a LoS Igavania, imagine if he had made Mirror of Fate, but I'm kinda having the impression Alvarez wanted to be the hero and that's why he downplayed IGA's times and denied any help (even Kojima's help).

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
+1
I would have absolutely loved a beautiful 2D Lords of Shadow using animation quality found in the menus for the combo demonstrations.

Seeing those there I always thought was a nice nod to the old games but seeing a beautifully animated 2D Gabriel and Dracula just made me want a 2D version more and more.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2014, 08:50:32 AM »
Guys guys! Fellas..

We have a new Castlevania game already. It's called Dark Souls 2! You see, all you have to do is find the whip weapon, upgrade it with fire damage (FLAME WHIP), get some throwing knives and witch flasks.

Here it is done in Dark Souls 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUZmridPRic
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »
+3
i remember when Ahasverus hated IGA with extreme passion & dissed his games & tenure with castlevania left n right

i am glad to see you have fully crossed over & come to your senses my friend.  Thomas Belmont, youre next @_@

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »
I am interested in what he has planned. Despite being a fan of Lords of Shadow and Mirror of Fate, the sequel put a bad taste in my mouth and I would like to see some side-scrolling games again.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »
+1
i remember when Ahasverus hated IGA with extreme passion & dissed his games & tenure with castlevania left n right

i am glad to see you have fully crossed over & come to your senses my friend.  Thomas Belmont, youre next @_@
Eh I still hate his later years and his recycling and unambitious attitude.. but it's not out of bad intentions, he's a purist and a humble man who knows not to go far of what he masters. Now I can respect that. And I kinda miss his games now, however by LoS1 announcement I had a metroidvania overdose :P

Guys guys! Fellas..

We have a new Castlevania game already. It's called Dark Souls 2! You see, all you have to do is find the whip weapon, upgrade it with fire damage (FLAME WHIP), get some throwing knives and witch flasks.

Here it is done in Dark Souls 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUZmridPRic
It's so Castlevania, it will remind you the times when bad Simon animations were getting you killed, and the cheery times when you couldn't past the third boss. Fun. (And the whip is like the worst weapon of the game)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:11:16 AM by Ahasverus »

Tags: