Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What exactly IS the Vampire Killer?  (Read 19043 times)

Offline 71m07hySm17h

• Awards
What exactly IS the Vampire Killer?
« on: August 31, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
Hi all, first post here, but I've been lurking for about a year now, so I thought I'd go ahead and register and post, as well as discuss a somewhat confusing topic. I saw it in the IGA topic and thought I'd move it to a separate thread instead of going even further off-topic.

What exactly is the Vampire Killer? I'm just curious because it's regarded as the 'kill-everything' whip but the games are very unspecific what it is. So I just wanted to hear the opinions of fellow Castlevania fans. But just to discuss some types, is it the regular bullwhip as shown in most of the cover art for most games (excluding Rondo, of course)? Is it a flail? Is it a chain whip? If so, what kind? The Asian one with sections or the chainmail whip with a bit of a morning star on the end? Or what? I'd just like to hear some ideas, on what it could be and what it seems would make sense in the term of the games.

Personally, I'd like to think of it as a chainmail whip, with a morning star attached at the end. But I would like to hear some other opinions as well.

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »
Well seeing as it changes from game to game/power up to power up, I would assume it's not all that specific, but im sure many would disagree with me.
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: What exactly IS the Vampire Killer?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:58:42 PM »
Going by LoI, it's a whip made from alchemy that is able to take on certain elemental magic properties (fire, ice, lightning). It can also be transformed into a morningstar type weapon. There are alot of other random definitions and opinions on what the VK is and is not, but basically it's a magic whip that can physically change itself and it's the Belmont family heirloom.
*I'm not a newbie...I had several hundred posts with this screenname on the old board*

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »
It's a Belmont

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »
The Vampire Killer is a magical whip containing the soul of one of the best Ayami Kojima-designed characters in the series

even though that only gets mentioned once since it's a huge retcon.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »
The Vampire Killer is a magical whip containing the soul of one of the best Ayami Kojima-designed characters in the series

even though that only gets mentioned once since it's a huge retcon.

Sara is one of the best Ayami Kojima-designed characters in the series.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
Sara is one of the best Ayami Kojima-designed characters in the series.

Yes.  Uh, thank you for reiterating that.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »
Yes.  Uh, thank you for reiterating that.

That was supposed to have a question mark >.>

Offline VGuyver

• Haunted by Typo's
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Haunted by Typo's
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
Really? It houses the soul of the best Ayami charachter design. No not even close, it just houses the soul of one of the best plot devices of IGA.

The whip has had many inarnations. Originaly just a whip capable of killing evil vampires and other fiends. It was then changed to a magical weapon, and later again into a holy weapon. This before eventualy settling it as a mix of all the previous stuff plus a Soul that's now the source of it's evil slaying power. I say, the whip these days has better character development then the majority of castelvania characters we've seen over the years.

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:45:53 PM »

In the first releases, it was called the Mystic Whip. Just check.
Not "the" Vampire Killer which is another stupid plot in Lament of Innocence.  :P

(I'm sure many IGA fanboys will attack me again...)  :-*

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 12:09:10 AM »
I still call it the "Mystic whip" as well. And the american game manual for CV3 said that it was given to Trevor from the Polterguist king, but that's not the case anymore. Then IGA comes along and messes with whatever original origins the whip may have once had. To me personally, It has been and will always be an eight-foot long chain whip with a morning star spike-ball attached to it's end. E.P.I.C.!!!

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 02:20:44 AM »
Really? It houses the soul of the best Ayami charachter design. No not even close, it just houses the soul of one of the best plot devices of IGA.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 04:41:25 AM »
^ Her eyes are so widely spaced apart. Heehee...

But yeah, it's Sara-chan.  Belmonts' Lady.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:42:56 AM by Gaawa-chan »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 05:18:23 AM »
"Poltergeist King" never was the case, never made official by Konami. So the whip never had an "established origin" prior to IGA.

Hey X I heard IGA doesn't like the letter X. Doesn't that get you hot?

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 06:27:40 AM »
In the first releases, it was called the Mystic Whip. Just check.
Not "the" Vampire Killer which is another stupid plot in Lament of Innocence.  :P

(I'm sure many IGA fanboys will attack me again...)  :-*

It was called the Vampire Killer in Castlevania Bloodlines.

Tags: