Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A new approach needed for this series?  (Read 25132 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: A new approach needed for this series?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »
http://2ch.jpn21.net/Imgboard/01/data/img20110525020505.jpg

How would you like all your fans here...to know...that you wear a diaper...on your head!

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
Yknow, its funny that people say they want a new approach, but when they get something like Lords of Shadow, they complain.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »
Just because it's a new approach doesn't mean it's the 'right' new approach.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »
Just because it's a new approach doesn't mean it's the 'right' new approach.

That's really a matter of opinion.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
That's really a matter of opinion.

Indeed it is.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
Indeed it is.

Well it sounded awfully factual
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
Well it sounded awfully factual 

Didn't mean for it come across that way. It was a post made by me, therefore making it my opinion.

Offline Renonsgoods

• Combat Cross Trainer
  • Vampire Hunter
  • One needs gold even in hell these days
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
Yknow, its funny that people say they want a new approach, but when they get something like Lords of Shadow, they complain.
I agree with this statement more than you'd think (given the topic of my thread).  Too many CV fans like to complain about the way things are, but they immediately bitch whenever someone wants to change it. In a way, I think this thread really is just a response to all the moaning that has been going on over the new reboot...and the rigid opinions on how things should not change so much as the series goes forward. I understand that this series has to evolve if it wants to stay relevant enough to continue being marketable to Konami. Which means that things can't always stay exactly as they were in the glory days of the 2D titles. I actually think that LoS was a step in the right direction overall (my discontentment with the Dracula origins aside).  It definitely needs some finetuning as far as some of the mechanical elements are concerned (QTE's, platforming, etc.), but the combat was sound and the environs were magnificent. The main thing the LoS series needs to make it stellar is an injection of some more traditional CV elements (characters, creatures, sub-weapons...).  The recipe was great, it was just missing a few key ingredients (unlike LoI, which had alot of great CV ingredients...but a very poor game recipe).

P.S. Everything you just read...is my opinion. ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:11:41 PM by Renonsgoods »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
way i see it, people say new approach. they get LoS which is a radically different approach, and they complain it isnt gothic enough.

So basically, they DONT want a new approach, they want the same thing. they want kojima artwork and aesthetic.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Renonsgoods

• Combat Cross Trainer
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
You just hit the nail on the head.  It's the driving force behind most of the detractors I've received in this thread.  They don't want new, fresh, or evolved......they want CV1 or Rondo with 3D graphics.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »
It's hard to call LoS a proper evolution of the classic style, given it's highly derivative approach

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
P.S. Everything you just read...is my opinion. ;D
You don't HAVE to state it's your opinion. It's a given that, since it's coming from you, it's your opinion. See, talking about change, this sort of thing is the result of bad change. Remember there was a time when you could openly state your opinion and people KNEW it was your opinion? You had freedom to speak without constantly saying, "In my opinion...". Now, when ever someone takes an opinion the wrong way, they have to go on a rant regarding how it's JUST an opinion, not fact, blah blah blah. Just because you have change doesn't mean it's an evolved sort of change. Sometimes change de-evolves and limits thinking more than it was before. That's why change is a two edged sword, change CAN be good, but not all change IS good.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »
It's hard to call LoS a proper evolution of the classic style, given it's highly derivative approach

I totally agree. Not to mention all of Cox's banter about how the game was supposed to be inspired by CV1/SCV4. The end product was nothing like either game except exclusively in that the core concept he came up with is similar.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Renonsgoods

• Combat Cross Trainer
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 03:08:19 PM »

Well that's open to one's own interpretation.  I might find Brink to be ridiculously derivative....someone else might think of it as "the future of shooters".  I never said LoS was perfect.  It does need some work for it to be a great 3D iteration of the franchise.  But I still think it's a step in the right direction (given the direction the 3D games were going in previously). I'll put it this way: LoS turned out promising enough for me to give a possible sequel the benefit of the doubt.  MS did enough good things with that game that a follow up could be phenomenal if the desired tweaks are made to the formula.

But as far as it being a linear action platformer featuring a hero with a chain weapon tearing through hordes of mythical creatures...then yea, I'd consider it a decent evolution of the classic style.  Whether or not it's a proper one is a matter of opinion.  But I should digress here, as I never intended for this to end up being yet another discussion of the failings or merits of Lords of Shadow.  My topic here is what would be the ideal way for Konami to handle the 3D titles moving forward...and what kind of Dracula villain we'd like to see in those games.  I already concede that what we wish for here is likely not going to be mirrored by the headmasters in Japan.  But it's nice to brainstorm every once in a while.

You don't HAVE to state it's your opinion.

lol  I know.  That statement was meant as a jab towards the exchange that preceded my post. ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:11:24 PM by Renonsgoods »

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 07:03:47 PM »
yes, the series needs a new approach and I agree that LoS was a step in the right direction.  The graphics were top notch and the main weapon was a chain whip.  Plus, we go some swinging with the whip like in CV4.  Not to mention that we got two of the original sub-weapons (dagger and holy water).  Combat was rich and gave players some real options in terms of the variety of moves Gabriel had.

That being said, this approach still needs work.  Combat shouldn't be shouldn't be limited to arena conditions and QTEs should be done away with.  Not to mention that the current method of climbing all over titan bosses destroying magic seals to defeat them should be changed.

I know that this topic isn't about LoS, but it truly is a step in the right direction and instead of complaining about it, we should simply discuss what we think and hope that Konami and MS revise the LoS approach in a way we like.  Remember, when taking a new approach, the first product done with the new approach is never perfect.  This formula will likely need to be reworked several times before we are satisfied.  And by the time that happens, fans will be calling for another new approach. 
Behold my power and tremble

Tags: