Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Ayami Kojima and Michiru Yamane's Art "Complementary"  (Read 11912 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Ayami Kojima and Michiru Yamane's Art "Complementary"
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »
I wasn't gearing that comment towards you, but at others that I've always seen complain about such trivialities. I love CotM's art too (especially the Japanese game cover), but I'm betting that if they woulda stuck with that artist up until now most people would've been praying for Kojima to return. just my opinion..

Offline John Capricorn

• Celebrate good times, c'mon. Celebrate ...etc
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »
That youtube vid IS great isn't it.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 02:42:12 PM »
In Reply To #5

It's even funnier when someone assumes the CV fanbase is one single entity.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
In Reply To #18

Whether people like the anime look or people like the more realistic look, I think it's a fair assessment to say that we all agree on the following:

Having seen the artwork for Order of Shadows, ANYTHING made by Kojima, the previous CV artists,or the Anime crew would be superior.

END of broad generalization.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 05:57:47 PM »
Kojima seems kind of lazy. Hector has a tiny head in the CoD illustrations and now Annette in DXC has a neck that would make a giraffe envious.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 05:59:58 PM »
Well... its either Ayame from Tenchu orosmething or it means both artists. There is also the possibility of a spelling error.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 06:28:12 PM »
In Reply To #19

Sprite artwork? I'd have to agree. But, I wouldn't say it's fair to judge it on overall art designs. I don't think any official concept art has been released regarding Order of Shadows, and if it has, I'd love someone to point me to it.

But yeah, in the art department, I'd have to say that Resurrection had the worse art of all the series. ALL the series.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 07:17:50 AM »
In Reply To #22
http://konamimobile.com/img/dc_Castlevania_OOS_Blog2_Image4.jpg

http://konamimobile.com/img/dc_Castlevania_OOS_Blog2_Image5.jpg

Edit: Er shit, the page's down. Well, once it's back open them. :P

Edit2: Ok, it seems they actually deleted those. Anyone saved them and could upload them to somewhere?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:17:14 AM by Serio »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 02:01:38 AM »
A lot of the art here is pretty badass as well:

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/dracula_ds2/galleryof/index.html

They should have one o' those artists do the official art sumtime...

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 06:43:01 PM »
In Reply To #2

Never seen that pic before. That's pretty sweet.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »
I like Kojima's style a lot, except for the tiny head syndrome some of her works seem to have (especially in CoD).

Yeah, she still has some kinks to work out in her style, but overall she's a master at her element.

The worst pic, I think, is still Lydie of HOD's manual. Head way too small. Picture just irks me.

I'm kind paranoid about doing this in my own work, so I usually make a slighly larger head than normal just to make sure I don't.

A larger head looks better than a smaller one, IMO -- especially on women.

You might also notice how long she makes her legs (too long), but that might be more an influence from anime.

Best pic is still Leon on LOI boxart -- GODDAMN it's beautiful!

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 11:08:57 PM »
In Reply To #23

Okay, the designs are back and I can see them. Yeah, they are pretty bad. Very Photoshop-esque. Kinda like stuff you'd find from a very unskilled artist on DeviantArt. Still, I find it hard to say Resurrection's art is superior. Maybe on par with. Both are crap, really. Like I tend to say, sometimes you can't choose between two bad things. It's like, would you rather like to eat a freshly squeezed turd or drink a cup of diarrhea? Either way, you aren't going to change the fact that both are shit. Same with OoS and Resurrection's art.

But yeah, Desmond would've looked better without the goatee(urgh, one of the reasons Victor looked terrible). The girls don't look bad, costume-wise. Dracula looks, well, silly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:13:46 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Tags:

anything