Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse  (Read 274291 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse
« Reply #510 on: May 01, 2014, 11:54:59 PM »
Thanks man  ;D idealy that would be amazing to see a Curse of Darkness version of Trevor and a remastered Alucard as well but I cant ask Kaonstantine to do that, as much as id love to lol.

Whow, please, I beg of you, don't make Trevor look like his CoD counterpart. That's just not CV III. It's better to have Trevor as we knew him; As we remembered him from the NES titles. And his SotN clone does that image close enough.  Trust me on this if nothing else I beg you :'(  And personally I think any connection to CoD would kill the CV III vibe for me. IMO it would be good for this game to stand on it's own like the original.

PS. Nice sprite there Jorge! It's simple yet it does what it needs to. But I'd also like to see the current Sypha sprite make her successful debut for this game as it's also a very-well made sprite. It just needs some tinkering & adjustments, then it should work out in the end.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #511 on: May 02, 2014, 04:12:33 AM »
Oh, of course!
I'm not at all saying to copy the sprite (they're not compatible as his uses a different attire as he pointed out).
Just showing some ideas as to how some attacks may appear to the gamer.

In the engine video shown, it's uncertain when Sypha's attack is doing the hitting and the damage, while in my little animation you KNOW exactly where and when the bludgeoning is happening.
It's little things like that.  You guys even pointed out that it looks like it's hitting 'with real force'.  It's just a matter of conveying which frames are lasting longer and which ones are shorter, combined with a few key effects here and there.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #512 on: May 02, 2014, 06:41:39 AM »
@Kaostantine:

It's interesting, but that style of clothing is unusual for Sypha.  Now that I understand it, I can see what you're trying to do.  Conveying this idea in a tiny 24x48 sprite is going to be a challenge, however.

I tried to bring new features to her clothes. Things to help the sprite looked different from the original design. The sleeves and hood are not the the same as the Konami sprite. Thank you  for sharing your sprite. It is very kind of you and it's  a great example of how to use few frames and yet achieve convincing motion.

Keep the dialog going.  Use Skype.  Maybe use Twitch and use a private stream to share in the process.
That's a good idea, but i see difficult War Machine and I could find a common hour to speak in realtime about the design. The video is a viable option, we should have thought that before, now the sprites are almost finished   :P

PS. Nice sprite there Jorge! It's simple yet it does what it needs to. But I'd also like to see the current Sypha sprite make her successful debut for this game as it's also a very-well made sprite. It just needs some tinkering & adjustments, then it should work out in the end.
Thank you, X. Sypha will make her debut. As Jorge said, they are not compatible. Jorge's Sypha doubles the size of my sprites. Not only the size and clothing are different, I feel our styles at spriting are different. But yes, i looked the Jorge sprite and found a very obvious fact: The angle at what i sprited the rod is odd and is not working. of course, there is the other fact that many have pointed out, too much frames make the animation look weak.

But the old swing is now a past thing. I re-created the sprite from the ground, but remained faithful to the initial idea. I'm feeling War machine will like to replace the old swing with the new one...

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #513 on: May 02, 2014, 06:55:10 AM »
Dont worry about the swing kaonstantine, let me try taking out a few frames and later ill put the animated gif on here for you guys to check out. The main thing I need now is the awesome work youre doing with grant  ;D
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #514 on: May 02, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
LOL I Double-sized the sprite so that forum members can see it more easily.
In actuality it's half of the size shown.  Not sure if, after scaling it, it still is the improper size.  Doesn't matter though as it's a different style altogether.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new swinging animation.  I still think the older swinging animation could've worked, just if you changed the duration of a few key frames here and there or if you omitted some frames, maybe. 

Keep at it! :D :D :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #515 on: May 03, 2014, 05:50:31 PM »
Woah, what the hell happened!? I wouldn't have posted if I knew it was gonna blow up like that.

Anyhow.

Sypha still looks great, and Grant's fluidity is fucking impressive. Although, and it might just be the video, his sprite looks to be out-of-style with Sypha's. Is there any chance you could post just an image of one/them? In the video, to me, he looks closer in style to the Soul of Dracula fangame (which is by no means a bad thing), whereas Sypha is more akin to SotN's.

And if my other post came off as flaming in any form, my apologies.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #516 on: May 03, 2014, 08:22:52 PM »

Awwww, it looks like I hurt someone's feelings....I love making friends! lol

I'm such a "little" priority but yet he took the time to PM me...guess someone can't handle "The Truth.."

The funny part is that I didn't even sprite Sypha nor am doing the actual code for Castlevania Chronicles! ROFL

Hahahaha...this made me laugh!

Hope he doesn't go hang himself or something...

Any mods that want to do anything extra please be my guest and do us all a favor!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:32:32 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #517 on: May 03, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »

Awwww, it looks like I hurt someone's feelings....I love making friends! lol

I'm such a "little" priority but yet he took the time to PM me...guess someone can't handle "The Truth.."

The funny part is that I didn't even sprite Sypha nor am doing the actual code for Castlevania Chronicles! ROFL

Hahahaha...this made me laugh!

Hope he doesn't go hang himself or something...

Any mods that want to do anything extra please be my guest and do us all a favor!
And you still doubt the others calling you a troll, "the_truth"?? This is for you my "friend"

First off though, to the more important people on here, Dracula9, its all good dude, no offense taken!  Yours as with a majority, well hell lets call a spade a spade here, everyone BESIDES "the_truth" and "kale" have given very helpful and thorough feedback and advice, thank you guys for that and please don't let a trolls like those 2 change your mind on how we feel about you.  Keep the good stuff comin'! 

Darkman - sorry you had to get that brother, seems like some turds on here just refuse to get flushed!!

Now, to our good buddy the_troll:

Allow ME to summarize - who the hell do you think you are calling people out when you CLEARLY don't have a clue what's going on?  Yeah, i've tried to be as cool about your horseshit as best i can, i can handle a little bitch crying about me, no big, i'll get over it before you get done runnin' that mouth, but you pissed me off when you started singling people out here, people that are eager to see this game reach its completion and that have been 100% supportive since day one!  I feel like it's been broken down easy enough for even you to understand by several people here, but let me give it a try:  fuck off!  if you got nothing to back but just your bullshit words and even thicker bullshit "experience" then do us all a favor and play a nice game of hide and go fuck yourself!!!  I can't stand someone who wants to git pissy at everyone else when THEY have something to say about your "opinion" on something.  Call me out, im the one that's coding, Kaonstantine has offered his hand at custom spriting and you can love it or hate it, but SEVERAL of us on here feel that he does an amazing job!! Darkman has given me ideas, helped me with posting vids without any BS and sprited Nasty Grant, along with helped me with some background work and the OST album work.  Oh, and if you want to be technical, and pay close attention to this one - comments about my "crew"??? DUDE, THIS WHOLE FORUM IS MY CREW!!!!!!!!!!!!  As far as im concerned, everyone in this thread is a member of MY crew, THEY have been helpful, THEY have been honest, THEY have not been little bitches about anything they see that may need some fixing/tweaking, etc.  And you and YOUR "crew" (think REAL hard dude, hell its only you and one other!!) can't wrap your pea brains around why everyone on here has slammed you? wake the fuck up, and smell the if-there-is-a-God ban coming your way!!!!!!!!! BMC
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:58:57 PM by BMC_War Machine »
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline the_truth

• Like it or not... the truth still is what it is!
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #518 on: May 04, 2014, 12:43:15 AM »
I am not reading that rant.   :rollseyes:

**FLAME POSTS REPORTED.... AFTER I TOOK SCREENSHOTS**

ON TOPIC: Grant really needs some specific animation when he is on the edges of blocks; right now it looks funny having him 3/4th of the way off one and just holding onto thin air. Or better yet, make his sprite for when clinging to walls NOT as long horizontally (like they did in the nes version; though he looks scrunched up there).

Also Grant's sprite seems to have the same issue as sypha's; it sticks out. Jorge's sypha sprite above wasn't nearly as fluid as Kaonstantine's.... yet still looked better and like it would fit into the game much more. Maybe focus less on making it so fluid, and making it more the old school way. Grant's walk also looks... odd. Not sure why. But it reminds me of a girl running away, lol.  And before someone uses that as an excuse to flame AGAIN, I am not trying to rag on Konstantine; he is obviously VERY talented. But grant looks like he is still a draft sprite and not a final version.

As for the game overall, well sorry: it has potential, but so much stuff is just a rip from other games, and it looks like it has some basic physics issues too, that it actually has me turned off. I do like the fact that a lot of levels seem to be done, and with some new surprises setup, but right now, it looks like it needs quite a bit more work.

I mentioned the remake by Las (which automatically resulted in hate being spewed my way for DARING to compare them), and although his is far from perfect too, I am a bit curious as to why both teams haven't, oh I don't know:

WORKED TOGETHER TO MAKE AN AWESOME GAME INSTEAD OF EACH DOING THEIR OWN SEPERATE THING!!!!

........... just a friendly thought.  Really, you guys would probably each get a lot more done. :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:06:03 AM by the_truth »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2014, 04:02:19 AM »
Well now, this seems to be getting out of hand. Two things:

1: Darkman, however offensive someone might act to you via PM, don't take it out publicly in the forums. Review the rules thread, please:

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,2199.0.html

"If we missed an inflammatory topic, and you want to report it, PM us about it.  PMing is the recommended method."

Similarly, if someone's harassing you via PM, block the person and send one of us mods a PM rather than posting screencaps on an unrelated thread. It drags things off-topic, annoys the other posters, and gives the moderation team a headache.

2: The same applies to you, BMC. I can understand trying to stick up for a friend and that you'd be annoyed at anyone giving them trouble, but making a scene like this isn't the proper way to go about it. In the future, just ignore off-topic/abusive posters and PM one of us if they're acting up, and we'll take care of it. Posting "troll" images and long rants just makes the problem worse.

3: However, the_truth, while me and the other mods tend to give a great deal of leeway to communications via PM, the messages you sent to darkman were simply inappropriate. I've sent you a PM explaining it further, but if you send any more abusive correspondence to other members here, you will be punished.

This is the last irrelevant diversion I'll tolerate in this topic. To BMC and the other people here, I appreciate your good intentions and the work you're doing, but don't spoil your own thread! "Calling out" trolls and all that is counterproductive, and I'll have to punish you if you guys keep doing it. Contact a mod if you see anyone causing trouble, don't try to argue with them and fan the flames further. the_truth, don't send any more insulting PMs to anyone else. If you think someone needs to be insulted, a much better solution is to just block them and ignore them instead.

I trust I've made myself clear to everyone...and you *don't* want me to get any clearer. Let's get back to the subject of the game, everyone, and make no more mention of this silliness.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #520 on: May 04, 2014, 05:54:26 AM »
Well now, this seems to be getting out of hand. Two things:

1: Darkman, however offensive someone might act to you via PM, don't take it out publicly in the forums. Review the rules thread, please:

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,2199.0.html

"If we missed an inflammatory topic, and you want to report it, PM us about it.  PMing is the recommended method."

Similarly, if someone's harassing you via PM, block the person and send one of us mods a PM rather than posting screencaps on an unrelated thread. It drags things off-topic, annoys the other posters, and gives the moderation team a headache.

2: The same applies to you, BMC. I can understand trying to stick up for a friend and that you'd be annoyed at anyone giving them trouble, but making a scene like this isn't the proper way to go about it. In the future, just ignore off-topic/abusive posters and PM one of us if they're acting up, and we'll take care of it. Posting "troll" images and long rants just makes the problem worse.

3: However, the_truth, while me and the other mods tend to give a great deal of leeway to communications via PM, the messages you sent to darkman were simply inappropriate. I've sent you a PM explaining it further, but if you send any more abusive correspondence to other members here, you will be punished.

This is the last irrelevant diversion I'll tolerate in this topic. To BMC and the other people here, I appreciate your good intentions and the work you're doing, but don't spoil your own thread! "Calling out" trolls and all that is counterproductive, and I'll have to punish you if you guys keep doing it. Contact a mod if you see anyone causing trouble, don't try to argue with them and fan the flames further. the_truth, don't send any more insulting PMs to anyone else. If you think someone needs to be insulted, a much better solution is to just block them and ignore them instead.

I trust I've made myself clear to everyone...and you *don't* want me to get any clearer. Let's get back to the subject of the game, everyone, and make no more mention of this silliness.

Sorry I missed that Gunlord. Didn't want to break any forum rules...thank you for sending the PM though!

However, this guy really wants to cause a problem, yet he continues to follow and post on the game! lol How does that even work?!

I feel that guy is purposely trying to sabotage this thread for whatever the reason...but you are right didn't want to take any more steam away from my bud's project especially over something as silly as this. Hell, I didn't even respond back to his little PM...lol

How do I "Block" him, can we also block him off the thread? We have waay more constructive people on here that we could use...

Anyways, all good points Gunlord.

Back to the game...and back to me coding Vamprotector...

On a side note I thought Amazing Spiderman 2 3D was pretty awesome!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:04:13 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
Dunno about outright blocking someone on a thread, but you can put users on your ignore list so you don't have to read their posts.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #522 on: May 04, 2014, 09:46:05 AM »
Dunno about outright blocking someone on a thread, but you can put users on your ignore list so you don't have to read their posts.
Maybe that is something Jorge could add in the future, minus blocking admin. 

I mean it is his or her person's thread that they started so I think being able to block specific people ourselves would help things.

I also think that would save you guys a lot of headaches if we had a little power over our threads.

I don't want to dwell too much more on this but it is an idea.

What do you guys think?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #523 on: May 04, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
Make a topic about it at Off Topic.

Let's get back on track with this thread, please.

I think the Grant video is showing a preliminary sprite, not a final one (correct me if I'm wrong), and there is probably still quite a bit of editing work left on him, though the frames are there, the sprite still looks like it may be chiseled away and shaded.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #524 on: May 04, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »
+1
Be calm guys. Positive critics are majority here. "Take the things from who says them. The value of the people is in their actions"  8)

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Tags: