Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I know the feeling.  (Read 12768 times)

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2023, 06:53:42 AM »
Carmilla: A story about a lesbian vampire that predates Dracula. Portrayed in the Castlevania games.
Interview with the Vampire: Homoerotic story about two male vampires. Alucard from SotN visual design is directly inspired by the film.
Dracula: Many people interpret the scenes of Dracula preying on Harker (or film equivalent) as having a homoerotic aspect.

Vampires have always been strongly tied to sexuality.

Gay people have always existed and always will exist.

Creators are rightfully choosing to be more inclusive with their works.

Deal with it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 12:41:33 PM by VladOfWallachia »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2023, 07:01:58 AM »
+5
This is why they chose the all-inclusive setting of TRANSylvania…. ⛳️ 👏🏽
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2023, 10:53:28 AM »
+1
Carmilla is the exception. It's how she was portrayed in her story and is an integral part of her tale and character arc. It also doesn't feel forced in any real way which nowadays would been seen as a breath of fresh air in a very stagnate climate. It's also what leads to her eventually being discovered and her inevitable downfall. Having gotten my hands on a copy I have read it several times and do enjoy it. She's a unique villain for CV.

Not always. It's true during the Victorian era when the whole vampire hype exploded. But if you go further back in time you'll see that the eroticism which we now associate with vampires didn't exist. Instead they were seen as purely horrid monsters with no redeeming qualities what-so-ever; the stuff of nightmares. Nosferatu's Count Orlock might very well be the last to accurately represent these creatures visually.

Again, true. However they aren't gay as that term is incorrect. They're homosexuals. The word 'Gay' means 'Happy'. It is a stolen word going back to the 1950's and has since been misused to label someone(s) gender preference. Lesbian is also a stolen word and doesn't reflect gender preference. Instead it refers to those who come from the island of Lesbos, Greece. Anyone can learn about this if they bothered to study. But sadly most in this day and age don't.

Once more, correct. But only if it comes by honestly. Like the Carmilla novel. And unfortunately much of what has been produced is not of honesty. It's politically motivated.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2023, 02:21:30 PM »
+4
Yep, you get a bunch or nerd fans together and all they do is complain. "Oh no, the changed something." "Oh no, there's gays in my story." Nice to see it's not different here.

And yet you came here to bitch about people bitching. Several times. Good jorb.  8)

Stop being so prickly and let people have their tiny little dark corner to complain. Nocturne's not so great even from a non-Castlevania lore perspective that there isn't things to nitpick about it. (accept the sexuality complaint; with the exception of the OG S3 threesome of questionable consent, it really isn't that a big an issue)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 02:25:11 PM by Sindra »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2023, 03:10:40 PM »
+1
Again, true. However they aren't gay as that term is incorrect. They're homosexuals. The word 'Gay' means 'Happy'. It is a stolen word going back to the 1950's and has since been misused to label someone(s) gender preference. Lesbian is also a stolen word and doesn't reflect gender preference. Instead it refers to those who come from the island of Lesbos, Greece. Anyone can learn about this if they bothered to study. But sadly most in this day and age don't.

I quoted this just to make sure that it was your real, actual response.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2023, 04:21:47 PM »
+1
Can’t wait for next season when Dracula returns by identifying as ‘resurrected’ and the protagonist has no limbs but still manages to wield the VK.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Hayoam

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2023, 05:21:33 PM »
Carmilla: A story about a lesbian vampire that predates Dracula. Portrayed in the Castlevania games.
Interview with the Vampire: Homoerotic story about two male vampires. Alucard from SotN visual design is directly inspired by the film.
Dracula: Many people interpret the scenes of Dracula preying on Harker (or film equivalent) as having a homoerotic aspect.

Deal with it.

You grasping at HARD straws here brother  ;D

Anyways sure Carmilla was Lesbian but Carmilla herself was inspired by a real life evil figure Elizabeth Bathory who said to prey on virgin girls and bathe in their blood to keep her beauty some said she's a Vampire but surely she's not. Elizabeth Bartley and Carmilla both inspired by her.

Now Carmilla in Castlevania is a vampire whom serve Dracula and worship him like a God and that's nothing like the Romance Novel both are nothing alike besides the name and both being Vampires.

Nobody said Gay should not exist you either missed the point or obviously trying to misrepresent it by strawmanning.

I don't know what kind of Vampire media do you see but I know for sure Alucard in Castlevania isn't gay in fact Alucard a real good Catholic boy in the artwork of Alucard you can see him holding a cross dearly and he uses them as a weapon against evil.

Also any Castlevania fan worth his salt knows Alucard look was inspired by Vampire Hunter D a popular Japanese media.

You seem to misunderstand inspiration and think it's just 100% copy.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2023, 06:16:19 PM »
+2
We really need more of that Vampire Hunter D in our lives.
The goat that had a hand in inspiring Castlevania itself.
Now that is an IP that deserves a great Metroidvania game. In fact, I'm gonna put that on tonight.

Hey guys, it's cool that there are fans who like the show and it's fine that there are fans who don't. There's a plethora of reasons to like or not like it, so we shouldn't let it create a rift. I thought the first season was cool, and I sorta just checked out after the second. I love Castlevania as a game series first and foremost.

@X I still think you should chill a little dude with all of the race and gay swapping talk. You're always bringing that stuff up around here and it's getting old man. You're killing the vibe with that shit for real. Please don't become the nail in the coffin for this forum.

The Netflix show has terrible dialogue. That alone is enough to condemn it. Who the fuck cares about anything else when that basic thing can't be done well?

It sucks way more that we haven't gotten a new console CV game for a decade than it does that we got an animated series that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

It's easy enough to just not watch the show and there's no shortage of great shows out there to watch anyways.

The thing that sucks and the thing that I think is actually making everyone mad is that we are fans of a game series that has left us starving for an eternity.

Anyways, we are all here on this relic forum because we love Castlevania games.

The show is what it is. Maybe I'll check it out again later and see if my thoughts on it change.

Either way I'm happy for the people that enjoy it and I'm cool waiting for the next season of House of the Dragon.

With peace and love
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 06:19:31 PM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2023, 09:33:11 PM »
+2
I'm glad we've been able to vent about this without killing/condemning each other for a change. 

Compared to previous experiences, it's refreshing.  Thanks, y'all. 

Offline Spooniest

• That's the way you do it!
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2023, 09:37:52 PM »
I'm glad we've been able to vent about this without killing/condemning each other for a change. 

Compared to previous experiences, it's refreshing.  Thanks, y'all.

Hey Eric (It's Nashville's Finer over here)

For my two cents, get off your high headless horses; here's the truth.

Castlevania's stories have always, always, always, alwaysalwaysalways been more about atmosphere than narrative. "Hammer Horror Pastiche" is that atmosphere, aka Gothic Horror, that line between man and monster, "children of the night, what beautiful music they make" (meanwhile Renfield is like wtf I was just here to sell you Carfax Abbey you weirdo).

That's not a story, and you can't do that stuff in an ongoing serialized tv show. You couldn't even carry a 500 word essay with it unless you are seriously good at b.s.'ing.

I really don't mind if they had to make changes to the characters as established in the games, because trying to make a story out of one or more dudes/dudettes going into a castle and just murdering anything that moves wouldn't be possible. If Castlevania's story had to be made "about something," then stealing men (and women)'s souls and making them your slaves (and perhaps the same could be said of all religions) isn't a bad way to go, thematically.

You just don't like women and you don't like your preciously fragile comfort level with your masculinity being challenged. Get over it.

Signed,

A smelly, old, hard-rock listening, hamburger-chomping boob man.
Are ya smokin' yet?!

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2023, 02:54:16 PM »
I forgot this thread was here.

I watched it. Show was good. Whine all you want.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2023, 05:12:29 PM »
Wait, weren’t you already mocking the difference of opinions in this thread already?

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2023, 05:47:08 PM »
+1
Hey Eric (It's Nashville's Finer over here)

For my two cents, get off your high headless horses; here's the truth.

Castlevania's stories have always, always, always, alwaysalwaysalways been more about atmosphere than narrative. "Hammer Horror Pastiche" is that atmosphere, aka Gothic Horror, that line between man and monster, "children of the night, what beautiful music they make" (meanwhile Renfield is like wtf I was just here to sell you Carfax Abbey you weirdo).

That's not a story, and you can't do that stuff in an ongoing serialized tv show. You couldn't even carry a 500 word essay with it unless you are seriously good at b.s.'ing.

I really don't mind if they had to make changes to the characters as established in the games, because trying to make a story out of one or more dudes/dudettes going into a castle and just murdering anything that moves wouldn't be possible. If Castlevania's story had to be made "about something," then stealing men (and women)'s souls and making them your slaves (and perhaps the same could be said of all religions) isn't a bad way to go, thematically.

You just don't like women and you don't like your preciously fragile comfort level with your masculinity being challenged. Get over it.

Signed,

A smelly, old, hard-rock listening, hamburger-chomping boob man.
HEEEEERE’S JOHNNY!!!

Sup, man!  Good to see you here for a sec, I remember our having similarly-differing thoughts on the matter, even before all this.  Anyway, in addition to various points I might’ve made across the dialogue I’ve also some deeper, nuanced, and private reasons I won't leave here.  As such, it’s patently impossible for me to enjoy this thing, but quite easy to forget where I was at in all this before the push: fuck it; if it isn’t for me, why give a fuck?  (See attached.)

All my recent bitching about this is based on a lapse in this position.  (Facilitated by relentless promotion of its superficialities appealing to the eyeballs and subs Netflix wants.)

& bollocks to the claim I'm put off by the reduction in masculinity or any of those other things, because there was a certain point where CV stopped being about single-handedly clearing a castle of monsters as Arnold and became instead Metroid with Prettyboys killing Hot Japan'ime Girls and yet I still enjoyed the hell out of it; as an aside: in the long run it was the owners--and ultimate abandoners--of the series who really blew it for me.

Accordingly, the vacancy of joy left by the serial disappointment of CV has long since been supplanted by more reliable sources I never mention here. 

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2023, 02:30:06 PM »
Wait, weren’t you already mocking the difference of opinions in this thread already?

And you were still bitching and moaning after. I got bored.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2023, 05:27:11 PM »
Gotcha.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 05:33:40 PM by Eric Roman »

Tags: