Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Legacy of Darkness HI-RES Texture Pack!  (Read 32262 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Legacy of Darkness HI-RES Texture Pack!
« on: June 13, 2008, 06:28:27 AM »
I think this says it all:

I hope this hasn't been mentioned before,but I searched the forums and couldn't find anything, so ...

This is pretty much as good as it gets, concerning the N64 Castelvania's last hurrah. Legacy of Darkness plays far better in emulation; in large part due to the fact that you can map the previously-unreachable camera controls to the second analog.

Well, now it LOOKS far better too. A user by the name of Gitech at the Emutalk forums has been working on this pack since January. He claims it's 98% complete, but he's letting anyone download the beta anyway.

Now the problem is, it's using one of the older N64 emulators as its base, as it seems that "1964" is one of the only emulators to support hi-res texture packs. And so several people are going to need to tweak arouind with the plugins to get them to work right (took me about an hour). There's an option to "dump textures", and he used Photoshop to retouch and upgrade many textures, and likely Google images to fill in the more extravagent ones. (Public Domain be damned).

He did a beautiful job. Artistic freedom in tow, he did manage to make a few things more horror-filmish (like purple teeth on the pointing statue in the graveyard), and unless something's going on with my vid card, red water at the graveyard. But the second you load this up you are going to notice the graphics texture quality jump 2,3 or 4 fold; depending on how high you can set your video settings.

Some of it is simply beautiful. I may be a purist when it comes to re-experiencing the classics, but sometimes emulation is actually the better choice. I'll take most of these textures over the originals any day.

So if you have the LOD rom, DOWNLOAD THIS PACK NOW, you won't regret it. I am having a blast with this game like I've never had before.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 06:44:21 AM by A N T R A X X »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Xadion

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Legacy of Darkness HI-RES Texture Pack!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:46:52 AM »
Hotness...

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:34:28 AM »
Awesome!! I'll give it a try!! :D
Ruler of Chaos

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:24:10 AM »
That's some hot shit! Unfortunately, I'm running sixtyforce, so i probably won't be able to use this, but it looks AMAZING! I'm the biggest fan of the 64 games and it's cool to see someone doing a homebrew project with them!

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:36:49 AM »
some of them look just weird.

the addition of blood is weird. i mean, she's escaping from someone who chases here to capture and use as a sacrifice, not after commiting genocide, bathing in her victims' blood.

zomg, carrie became some kind of snake/lizard monster. check out the scales.

i don't really like how he changed carrie's outfit design either.

but other than that, not too bad.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »
some of them look just weird.

the addition of blood is weird. i mean, she's escaping from someone who chases here to capture and use as a sacrifice, not after commiting genocide, bathing in her victims' blood.

I figure he didn't think about that once he went to editing the sacrifice scene and just decided to leave it in cuz it's more horror film like. But yeah it's like a time paradox or something.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 12:25:50 PM by A N T R A X X »

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »
I enjoyed the N64 Castlevania games a lot! I'll have to check this out! Hey, I heard the N64 Castlevania weren't very popular. Why?! I loved them! They were masterpieces, and some of my favorites! Well, that's just my opinion...

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:28:11 PM »
In Reply To #7

Yeah, LoD is cool. Problem is, its a really easy game, but then when you go to fight Dracula it's lkike one of the most difficult final battles ever!
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »
In Reply To #8

try saying that after fighting the sea serpent on hard. he one hit kills you. :o

Offline erimocard

• satin demon
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Gro
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
In Reply To #8

I simply hate the N64 Castlevanias. But I'd still prefer them over LoI or CoD.

The textures over all loke pretty cool.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »
any reasons other than irrational "i hate them because it's the cool thing to do and everyone does that?"

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
In Reply To #8

try saying that after fighting the sea serpent on hard. he one hit kills you. :o

The game is a BITCH on Hard mode. And yeah. especially that boss since it's on first level. He has so many moves and it's so hard to learn to doge them (especially the water pillar thing he does).

That's exactly why they don't allow you to play Hard mode until you beat it in Normal first.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »
Just a question: if I had played the game on Easy instead of Normal, would still have been able to unlock Henry? I played Normal because I figured it would be the requirement, like most other Unlockable character games.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
Some of those pictures are pretty awesome.
Others, not so much.  However, this person gets a big A+ for the sheer effort.

I use Project64, so I don't know if it'll work, but I am definitely willing to give it a shot.

Vampire-Reinhardt is scary-looking.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
Just a question: if I had played the game on Easy instead of Normal, would still have been able to unlock Henry? I played Normal because I figured it would be the requirement, like most other Unlockable character games.

If I recall correctly, it won't work, but I may be wrong. I'm pretty sure that easy mode only involves about half of the full game. I know that's how it works in Castlevania 64, but again, I'm not positive if it's like that in Legacy of Darkness. I reccomend normal mode though, just incase.

Tags:

anything