Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: King Diamond  (Read 9385 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »
nor a stupidly low one (like the generic metal bands).

Nothing wrong with some well-done gutteral vocals. Not sure how that's a sign of a generic band, either. O_o
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 01:13:20 PM »
right on PFG. Exactly.. cool of you to read and see how much work goes into a concept album. I think Flotsam & Jetsom does them here and there too. Love that stuff. Adds another layer to the music :)

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with some well-done gutteral vocals. Not sure how that's a sign of a generic band, either. O_o

Apparently nobody noticed I wrote stupidly low. I like low voices. The Amazing Brando, in particular, delivers them quite well.

...Even though he's not metal.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »
Yeah, but I'm talking specifically about guttural vocals, like Cannibal Corpse, Vehemence, etc.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
I know, and I understand that. But I'm talking about the guys that feel the need to go so low you can't understand what they're saying. Like, lyrics are required to be with you.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »
Yeah, I follow. But then you started talking about how you like low vocals in general, so I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

It is a style that makes it hard to enunciate with most vocalists, but it fits the mood so well with the music that I don't really care. It's a plus when a vocalists can be perfectly clear in that style, though. Although I'm not much of a fan of the band, Deicide's Serpents of the Light is a perfect example.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:15:09 PM by JR »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »
Yeah, it's just with me, I prefer to understand what one is saying during metal, cuz they're a buncha mean dudes. Like, for example, he could be saying this while screaming: "I'm gonna slaughter your family and eat your soul and make sure I bury you alive somewhere off the coast of Asia!" And I'd be all like: "DAMN THAZ AWSUM!"

So yeah.

Of course, it's a whole different case for some reason or another when listening to foreign music, but that's a whole different topic.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »
One vocalist I wished I could understand better (even though he's still pretty clear nowdays) is Trevor Strnad of The Black Dahlia Murder. I've never heard lyrics so sickening, yet so expertly written. I really think metal lyrics in general are mediocre at best, but this guy makes it an art form by comparison.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
Trivium is one group that's never been great at writing lyrics, but the delivery is great... If that makes sense. I've always felt Atreyu had excellent lyrics.

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 11:44:30 PM »
Speaking of low, gutteral, dark brilliance.. anyone hear the latest Hate Eternal? Abnormal Freak, you would love this shit, listen to the production value:

Haunting Abound, great track, my favorite.. seers right through you, AND you can hear the words, listen:
Hate Eternal "Haunting Abound" (OFFICIAL)

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Online Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 12:37:45 AM »
Apparently nobody noticed I wrote stupidly low.

I don't get how "stupidly low" = generic metal. Demilich has incredibly low vocals and they're FAR, far from generic.

Demilich-The Sixteenth Six-Tooth Son of Fourteen Four-Region
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Online Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 12:41:33 AM »
Anyway, I may hate Trivium, but the frontman did a good job on vocals on Capharnaum's Fractured...though I'd prefer the guitarist/songwriter/producer had done 'em himself in his Mike DiSalvo-esque voice.

Wallach: I'll check out that tune tomorrow or somethin'. No headphones or speakers at the mome'.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything