Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: E-bay is worse than drugs  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:21:24 AM »
I'm dead serious.
I've just recently overcome my phobia of online shopping and registered for a pay-pal account.

Then I have proceeded to e-bay and was instantly addicted.
The access to endless choice of merchandise is worse than crack.
Never before, since I discovered about google and Wikipedia, my horizons were so widened.

.... The only thing that sucks is the shipment time. 3-4 weeks for a bloody shirt to be shipped? Damn it.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:51:08 AM »
Don't go overboard with it, Freddy my friend. ;_;

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:50 AM »
Do you use regular eBay or ebay international? International showcases items all over the world FYI.....

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:02:26 PM »
Ebay is also one of the worst places to shop for classic games, this is where the price gouging begins on some games, and those that you have to return because they don't work make your Paypal account sit in limbo for a refund. I have managed to get some expensive games for much cheaper than normal, but I don't get lucky every time.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:27:04 PM »
Do you use regular eBay or ebay international? International showcases items all over the world FYI.....

I don't know what you refer to as "regular ebay". I guess my e-bay is international since I see items from all around the globe. Do Americans have an "America-only" ebay site?

Which brings me to this thing I dislike about ebay: What's that with sellers unwilling to ship their shit outside USA & Canada? Why so racist? It's not like you pay for the shipment anyway; After all, you set the price, I pay it.
And another thing. What's with people overpricing shipments? 10$ for a small item shipped to the other side of the globe is reasonable, but 30$? What the hell?

In response for bloodreign:
Refunds are cool, but you still lose your shipment money, so either way, you're screwed.
Buying stuff from a seller with no reputation is, after all, a risk.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:26:20 PM »
Yeah the original game had free shipping, I could've gotten my shipping money back for returning it, but meh, no big deal.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
I got Champions of Norrath Return to Arms off ebay today for 23$ with free shipping. With the case and manual. I was quite happy =D

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
Ebay is also one of the worst places to shop for classic games, this is where the price gouging begins on some games, and those that you have to return because they don't work make your Paypal account sit in limbo for a refund. I have managed to get some expensive games for much cheaper than normal, but I don't get lucky every time.

I disagree with this. I got my Castlevania I, II, and III games from Ebay fresh in the box with the sleeves and all included manuals in really good condition!
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Thy Gory Rory

• Hunter in Training
  • ...I'm holding my sausage hostage!
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
I've bought close to 250 different items off of ebay in the past 5 years and I've only ever had a bad experience 3 or 4 times. I've been pretty lucky I guess but it really comes down to making sure you find auctions that accurately describe the item's well and the seller has good feedback ratings. Also, really observe the item images (if they're not just stock photos) and ask certain questions in advance if you really want to make sure about something specific. Common sense, really ;)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
I get my costume parts from eBay.  :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 01:41:55 AM »
I disagree with this. I got my Castlevania I, II, and III games from Ebay fresh in the box with the sleeves and all included manuals in really good condition!

Try buying a copy of Sexy Parodius for PSX, or Panic Restaurant or Bubble Bobble Part 2 NES. Good copies of those will kill your wallet flat dead. Also right now the SNES collecting market is starting to hit it's stride, games are rising in value, while Genesis games have flatlined. You have to look at ebay from a collectors standpoint sometime (I didn't have to rely on ebay for CV 1-3, I found those in the wild or acquired from a  friend many years ago), some things can be found on Game Gavel for fairer prices than what ebay sellers offer. Sure Game Gavel is still a small place, but there's some good deals to be had there. Another inflated game on ebay is Bonks Adventure NES along with Duck Tales 2 and Chip N Dale 2 NES. I managed to find all in the wild, Bonk for $20 loose, the last two $30 a pop loose.

I've once gotten a game, Arkanoid NES, off ebay, the thing was so dirty inside that I had to clean it with multiple Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. The MK Armageddon Premium Edition I got was shot, despite it being listed as very good condition, a lot of this stuff is not tested when it's sold. Not to mention a lot of other games I've gotten for my NES off ebay had to be thoroughly cleaned as they didn't work, yet were listed as tested, cleaned, and working. After some tender loving care, and good cleaning I have gotten the games working again.

I've had better luck buying off forums like Atari Age and Digital Press, these people tend to sell games for cheaper, and you can even get stuff still either sealed, or in very nice condition. Not to mention they are gamers themselves and are very honest when you buy something off them, no dirty games, and the Sparkster SNES I bought, the guy told me it had a rental sticker on it. Sure enough when I got it. it had a rental sticker on it, and was very very clean.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:52:47 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 03:28:30 AM »
I have bought mostly games from ebay, but I think I've overpaid for some of it because of shipping costs. Sure, 20 € for Double Dragon 2 CIB is great compared to the prices back home (you might probably get one for 40 €), but my aim is to buy lots and lots of games and systems. The systems' shipping costs are a lot and create a frustrating balance where it's not mostly worth it. I think many of the sellers don't actually check how much the expenses are. They just play it safe by overcharging.

What I need is a "swag agent" to "smuggle" stuff and/or a retro store where you can buy all that stuff in one package & people who know what they're selling and don't ask silly prices for it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 03:32:15 AM by A-Yty »

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 03:43:56 AM »
I've gotten pretty damn lucky lately with ebay and especially amazon marketplace, but I agree. The prices are just getting more and more ridiculous. I got a Famicom cartridge copy of Akumajo Dracula a year or so back for about $80 (which was probably too much, but I don't really know). Box, manual, inserts, everything. I just recently saw some jackass trying to sell the exact same thing, in the exact same condition, for $250. There have been some prices on ebay lately that have made my jaw drop. But then again, if people are buying them at that price, I can't totally blame the sellers.

...those bastards.  >:(
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 09:06:37 AM »
I can't quite understand you classicgaming collectors.
I guess that like all collectors, you are a bit crazy, willing to pay a lot for a certain rare item I would never even bother to give attention to.

Well, e-bay salespeople are not stupid. They realize that if their merchandise becomes a "collector's item" its value goes skyrockets. So they overprice it, 'cus obviously collectors would pay the price. 

So... Let's make a list. Clothing on e-bay is expensive. Really. 15-20$ for a shirt is like, twice than I'd pay for it in my country. According to what I heard here, video games are expensive too.

Electronics, on the other hand, is quite cheaper than in the markets, but not always safe to buy.
And you know what else is cheap? Books!!

That's right. Look what I just got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220863712295

7 Asimov books, Foundation Trilogy included, plus a "District 9" DVD for only 43$, shipment included.
The books themselves cost only 10.25$.
The shipment is expensive, but still it's like 10 times cheaper than buying from a book store, and the guy was generous enough to include a DVD with it! How awesome is that?   

~Charlie Sheen

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
I guess that like all collectors, you are a bit crazy, willing to pay a lot for a certain rare item I would never even bother to give attention to.

Meh, not necessarily. I collect Castlevania stuff, but virtually none of it comes out of my pocket. I use the Paypal money I accumulate with surveys and since I haven't (and won't) link my Paypal account to my bank account, I'd rather use it to collect CV stuff than to turn it into money.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags: