Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: The Accursed Seal - a cv2 remake  (Read 45185 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Castlevania: The Accursed Seal - a cv2 remake
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
You would also have to have that same effect on the stairs and on the upper platform.
Like how Bloodlines did it.

BTW I need to learn how you made that floor (in esco's thresd) since both pics contain Your floor.
Thx for the stars tip.

I think the stairs would look better if they were on the surface layer, like in the previous image.
Still working on it, I've actually scaled the floor and cieling up to 125%, I'm tryig to make it where the sprites dont have to be scaled.

UPDATE:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 03:01:54 PM by Kamui Zero »

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »
Dunno why, but the perspective looks kinda wrong in this one.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2011, 09:15:05 PM »

You have clashing perspectives. I don't think you should go in this direction. You would probably have to break a few rules of perspective if you wanted to use just 2D assets. The character sprites themselves would need alterations to fit too.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2011, 10:11:57 PM »

You have clashing perspectives. I don't think you should go in this direction. You would probably have to break a few rules of perspective if you wanted to use just 2D assets. The character sprites themselves would need alterations to fit too.

How So? I know the Floor is off from the stairs, or whatever, I'm really trying to fix it rather than ditching it (the floor isn't meant to have an angle).
My intentions are to fix the perspective and Perfect the faux 3D rather than to Advert back into the flatness of the standard SotN style.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
All you need to know is contained within the backgrounds of SCV4 & CVB. They both used exactly that sort of style for their backgrounds. You might want to study Contra 3 and Contra Hard Corps's backgrounds too.
"Stuff and things."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2011, 12:09:48 AM »
All you need to know is contained within the backgrounds of SCV4 & CVB. They both used exactly that sort of style for their backgrounds. You might want to study Contra 3 and Contra Hard Corps's backgrounds too.

Fixed many of the issues mainly dealing with the floor angle and Length of stairs and upper floor.
As for background, I need an example on how to do corners, but as is. it looks better and less perspective Clash!

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:21 AM »
Are you keeping the upscale? It would honestly fit better if everything was at 1x. At 1.5x scale, the pixels are kinda getting confused and messed up. So everything isn't as crisp and smooth. The stair's floor and the main floor contrast each other in terms in style where the stairs recede into darkness while the main floor is a lot darker and flatter. The main floor actually looks more slapped on than the stairs because there's no transition between it and the walls. There isn't a lot of coherency to the room as a result.

I personally don't see any greater value in going with a 3/4 view than sideview. It isn't really faux 3D. Sideview honestly has more notion of realism to me, because it obscures the parts that would be affected by perspective. Here there might be a horizon line but there's no point of convergence. Plus with this, there comes a restriction where every floor kinda has a certain "weight" to it because everything is side-on. I think it sacrifices the illusion of depth more than it helps.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:49:29 AM by thernz »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2011, 01:18:31 AM »
Are you keeping the upscale? It would honestly fit better if everything was at 1x. At 1.5x scale, the pixels are kinda getting confused and messed up. So everything isn't as crisp and smooth. The stair's floor and the main floor contrast each other in terms in style where the stairs recede into darkness while the main floor is a lot darker and flatter. The main floor actually looks more slapped on than the stairs because there's no transition between it and the walls. There isn't a lot of coherency to the room as a result.

I personally don't see any greater value in going with a 3/4 view than sideview. It isn't really faux 3D. Sideview honestly has more notion of realism to me, because it obscures the parts that would be affected by perspective. Here there might be a horizon line but there's no point of convergence. Plus with this, there comes a restriction where every floor kinda has a certain "weight" to it because everything is side-on. I think it sacrifices the illusion of depth more than it helps.

Well, if i can Downscale back to 1x instead of 1.25x and Keep Depth, I'll try. Shading can take Care of the Floor, And I'm leaving that part near the stars covered until I can Conjure a transition. but remember that the Angle of view is slightly above eye level, I've attached an image for example

If Done Right Depth Can be achieved in the view, Its just harder. I'm constantly at the drawing board, but its also very fun to do this, i just have to work harder to achieve the Ideal perspective whilst keeping Depth effects. its worth a try, and if it all fails in the end, I still have the normal mapping technique down.

The Idea of the Depth isn't really about a 3d effect, its mostly trying to use techniques not done before in mapping in a castlevania game or not done enough, It more or less giving it an identity.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »
If you're gonna use my tiled floor on a 2D game with perspective, you should darken the tiles that are further back and brighten the tiles that are closer to the camera.  This would make the floor clash a hell of a lot less against the stairs, etc.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2011, 05:17:39 PM »
If you're gonna use my tiled floor on a 2D game with perspective, you should darken the tiles that are further back and brighten the tiles that are closer to the camera.  This would make the floor clash a hell of a lot less against the stairs, etc.

Killed the other pic, here is a new one with new-ish stairs, Scaled back to Normal, Fixed Floor tiles (they get smaller with distance) with Shading.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
Hay! Now that works out well. Just like SCV4 and Bloodlines. I've also noted some areas in Harmony of Dissonance use this same technique too.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
Yeah, that's how to do it!  Good job.
If you can maintain that kind of consistency throughout the game, that'd be awesome. ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Mikepjr

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »
That's how you do it? I can't even see the floor now, it's dark to the point that.. the entire floor is hard to make out.. but maybe during game play at full screen i can make it out better.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »
I can see it just fine. I think it looks good and will work out good.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
That's how you do it? I can't even see the floor now, it's dark to the point that.. the entire floor is hard to make out.. but maybe during game play at full screen i can make it out better.

Yeah, that's gonna be the case, I've played arounf with the shading for about 30 mins trying to get it right and that's the best to both be visible and keep perspective.
Full screen will have all the Pixels up close, just save the image and view it in Photo viewer (or Picasa 3) and zoom in to see if it works for ya.

Tags: