Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: AVGN 20 yrs CV speciale!  (Read 137 times)

Offline Bengr Hausve

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« on: May 12, 2024, 11:37:42 PM »

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 08:30:26 PM »
He seems way too focused on the 8-direction whipping from SCVIV.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:43:43 PM »
It's kind of a smoothbrained position to say that other games should feature it. I love the multidirectional whip in CV4, but games like CV1 and ROB are so much more strategic and fun without it. Breaking game balance doesn't sound like a good time.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:33:58 AM »
If you compare this video with the original series review AVGN did a long time ago, it looks like he has lost all passion for what he is doing. This new video feels like he quickly put something together and phoned it in, while the original felt more like a genuine passion project.

SCIV has always been my favorite, and the free form controls (and 8 way whip) is part of the reason, but I also recognize that the entire game has to be structured around those mechanics, or the game will be unbalanced, like SCIV is. SCIV is my personal favorite, but I absolutely do not think simply adding 8 way whip into games that weren't designed for it is a reasonable thing to do. My favorite NES entry is the original Castlevania, I like it better than the often regarded superior CV3, mainly because I feel like the difficulty balance in CV1 is perfect... you have stiff, limited controls, but every challenge in the game (for the most part) is carefully designed around said limited controls.

I hope James AVGN can find a project he can be passionate about again. His original CV series review had roughly the same opinions, but the nerd's passion for the subject seemed genuine, and his personality came through much more strongly in that version than in this new version.

Tags:

anything