Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So I'm a student now  (Read 11144 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: November 05, 2011, 03:59:48 AM »
I guess it had to happen eventually.  :P

I'm a first-year B.A. student now at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem studying Political Science and International Relations.
Being a student is hard, unrewarding work.

Wondering how many of you are studying in College, or graduated from it?
And what exactly are you studying/studied?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: So I'm a student now
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:09:26 AM »
I'm currently at college studying animation for video games, hoping to make my own indie game someday and you can bet it will pay tribute to Castlevania.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:10:57 AM by C Belmont »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »
Congrats, Freddy! I'm currently a grad student in history 8)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
I'm currently at college studying animation for video games, hoping to make my own indie game someday and you can bet it will pay tribute to Castlevania.

That's pretty awesome. I wish I was able to... maybe I'll go back to college after I'm out to look into animation or Computer Science... (Ugh, the math)

I'm currently on my supposedly last year of my degree barring nothing fails me. IT degree.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:04:51 PM »
Once I graduated from High school, that was it for me. I've not gone to collage or university cause I don't want to. I've pretty much had all I could take from a broken institution that couldn't even cater to my individual needs and way of learning. And on top of that all the s**t from the bullies that I had to sit and take are still festering in me. So until the entire educational system has been revamped and reorganized with new rules and proper conduct of students, there's no way come Heaven, Hell or high water that I'm going back.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »
I'm a college student. I'm in my fourth year at Henderson State University, studying psychology. I'm almost done with my major too, I'm just a little short on the core classes.  :P

Of course, in psychology, you have to get at least a master's degree before you can really do anything. I'm extremely lucky in that my parents are helping me out with my BA, but they've said that past that, I'll be on my own. So student loans and a minimum wage job! Yay! I'm gonna be really poor in a little over a year. :(
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
Once I graduated from High school, that was it for me. I've not gone to collage or university cause I don't want to. I've pretty much had all I could take from a broken institution that couldn't even cater to my individual needs and way of learning. And on top of that all the s**t from the bullies that I had to sit and take are still festering in me. So until the entire educational system has been revamped and reorganized with new rules and proper conduct of students, there's no way come Heaven, Hell or high water that I'm going back.

TBH, College is, for the most part, a load of crap. But you should still take some classes I think, if for nothing else, meet people that might have similar interests and get connections. But I do agree with you, College... no, School, is broken. And it's really more of a money grab.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:07:01 AM »

I'm really sorry for you, X. I don't know how the colleges in America are, but where I live, college students have none of that "highschool crap". There's no "cool kids" or "nerdy kids" or however the American teenage movies describe it. We're all adults, most of us served in the army, and people come here to study and have fun, period. No silly social-status battles, no violence, none of that s**t. We all try to be polite, because we're very different around here- Jews and Arabs, religious and atheists, single and married, every one has his or her view of life and we try to respect one another (or else, we'd probably be in a lot of trouble, lol)  :P
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: So I'm a student now
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 01:04:10 AM »
don't know how the colleges in America are, but where I live, college students have none of that "highschool crap". There's no "cool kids" or "nerdy kids" or however the American teenage movies describe it. We're all adults

Thats kind of similar to what my experience has been so far, at school & highschool I was bullied quite a lot but I haven't encuntered any of that kind of stuff at College.The fact that most of the people at my college including the teachers are a bit odd by "normal" standards probably helps (seriously I sometimes don't feel nerdy enough!) but I think it's probably also because most students actually want to learn the material they are studying and also because there is just way to much money & work involved to waste your time on something as unproductive as bullying someone.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:01:03 AM by C Belmont »

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 09:38:13 AM »
I actually just recently went back to college to get my MBA. I had got my undergrad in Business and honestly it didn't really do all that much for me. I met great people and it was a great experience but I didn't really learn all that much from it nor did I really make any connections that would help me get a job that would be better than anything I could get previously.

I'm honestly still not convinced that getting an MBA is going to solve any problems either but I know that more people are doing it these days and I feel like I need to be doing something with my life. Let's see how it all works out :)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »
I'm really sorry for you, X. I don't know how the colleges in America are, but where I live, college students have none of that "highschool crap". There's no "cool kids" or "nerdy kids" or however the American teenage movies describe it. We're all adults, most of us served in the army, and people come here to study and have fun, period. No silly social-status battles, no violence, none of that s**t. We all try to be polite, because we're very different around here- Jews and Arabs, religious and atheists, single and married, every one has his or her view of life and we try to respect one another (or else, we'd probably be in a lot of trouble, lol)  :P

It's really like that in America too, from my experience... but like
I actually just recently went back to college to get my MBA. I had got my undergrad in Business and honestly it didn't really do all that much for me. I met great people and it was a great experience but I didn't really learn all that much from it nor did I really make any connections that would help me get a job that would be better than anything I could get previously.

I'm honestly still not convinced that getting an MBA is going to solve any problems either but I know that more people are doing it these days and I feel like I need to be doing something with my life. Let's see how it all works out :)

You don't learn jack except maybe some basics... a lot of it seems like bull to me or something you learn outside and probably at a better rate. Then they also enforce General Studies.. while make you more informed... maybe, about general things... doesn't help you worth jack for the most part.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 12:29:41 PM »
Thats kind of similar to what my experience has been so far, at school & highschool I was bullied quite a lot but I haven't encuntered any of that kind of stuff at College.The fact that most of the people at my college including the teachers are a bit odd by "normal" standards probably helps (seriously I sometimes don't feel nerdy enough!) but I think it's probably also because most students actually want to learn the material they are studying and also because there is just way to much money & work involved to waste your time on something as unproductive as bullying someone.
I am a 9th Quarter college student majoring in Video Game Art and Design.  I haven't noticed the bullying thing in College, but definetely the "high school" politics are still there. My wife is German and she also notices the same thing, it seems like for the most part that all that bullying and crap happens majority in America.
Agreed X. But don't ever let other people stop you from what you want to do at the same time stay true to yourself and speak your mind. Sometimes you need to "check" people. We all grow and mature, I am sure you've mature enough to not let anyone "bully" you anymore. I know it sounds cheezy, but if I let everyone tell me how I wansn't gonna do shit in video game design or call me nerd or whatever, then I wouldn't be about to graduate in a year from the degree I love in a year. Life's too short to live for other people X, do what you want "f" everyone else.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:31:12 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
Agreed X. But don't ever let other people stop you from what you want to do at the same time stay true to yourself and speak your mind. Sometimes you need to "check" people. We all grow and mature, I am sure you've mature enough to not let anyone "bully" you anymore. I know it sounds cheezy, but if I let everyone tell me how I wansn't gonna do shit in video game design or call me nerd or whatever, then I wouldn't be about to graduate in a year from the degree I love in a year. Life's too short to live for other people X, do what you want "f" everyone else.

Thanks for the pep-talk darkmanx_429  ;) While I do feel that education is important I also feel the you don't need to go back to school or any school for that matter, in order to learn. It's far more rewarding to learn from self-experience rather then sitting in an overcrowed classroom listening to boring lectures that don't engage your mind by using all of your five senses. It's better to learn by doing rather then listening. Getting your MBA or a master's degree is the in-thing now but doesn't really do anything to get you out there actively. It's more 'n less icing on the cake of your life. And it really is unfortunate that our society will almost only cater to people with such backgrounds. A person living on the streets could very well be a fortified genius and the world would pass him by because he has no degree. On the other hand, those with degrees could be dumber then a sack of hammers and the world would recognize them because of their degrees. It's really sad. And of course money also plays a predominant role in the later of our education. Student loans and education fees? Pfft! Whaddever. Student loans are nowhere near enough to pay for the education fees that are demanded of us. The ridiculous costs of paying for something that last time I checked, is bound by law. The law says we need an education so why should we pay for it?? I'd be cheaper to by a new car.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »
I'm not looking forward to graduating either. I have the option of prolonging college by at least one month with no extra charge by going either to Ecuador or Indonesia, and I'm still considering that. It would be nice to have some worldly experience.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 12:45:11 AM »
A person living on the streets could very well be a fortified genius and the world would pass him by because he has no degree. On the other hand, those with degrees could be dumber then a sack of hammers and the world would recognize them because of their degrees.

I agree with most that you say, X. I believe that people need to be measured by talent rather then social status and everyone should get equal opportunities, but the high College fees (in America mostly) damages that equality. It's a big problem.
However, people with degrees being dumb? You need to be quite intelligent to get accepted into a high-education institute, and make a real effort to get a degree. Cheating here is almost impossible. I would like to believe that people in good Colleges and universities are smarter than the general population, social abilities aside.
It's true that many talented people are wasting their lives on the streets, and it's a shame. It's true that if you're talented enough, you don't need a degree to be successful.
Nevertheless, most employers today cannot measure their employees' intelligence in a better way than relying on their education. Not every job requires you to have a degree, but almost every employer would prefer a worker with one.

Let us be realistic. People do the right thing when they demonstrate for a more equal society, and demand social justice. But our society is a competitive one, where the best are successful, and the rest are cast aside. It's always been like this. If you're talented and work hard, you SHOULD be successful. If you're not, then there is a problem in the society, which must be resolved. Eventually, a healthy society is one who provides equal opportunities. Complete equality, however, is impossible. Not in our world.
~Charlie Sheen

Tags: